“Watch your head!”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tel number 01732 822462 Postcode ME19 5DR
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner visiting family here. Well regarded by the locals, The George proved to be everything a traditional English pub could be to a traveling American...fantastic atmosphere in this low beamed old place, service by the 4-5 young girls and guys was "spot on" and super friendly. Specials of the day were difficult to choose between so opting for the classic Cod and chips was not a mistake...best homemade fish and chips, like, EVER...couldn't eat it all...others in the family had Steak and Ale pie, the sirloin and rice and the rack of ribs...plates were cleaned!! No complaints from our party of 5... On my way to the toilet, I failed to duck, knocking my dome on the low beams at the bar...the local guys, pints in hand, were laughing together with me, holding thier own heads low, and knowing to do so...can't wait to return...two thumbs up

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Four of us arrived here on a bank holiday evening after finding the previous three pubs we tried had all stopped serving food, so we were thankful this was open and still serving and we found a comfortable window table.
They serve a well kept pint of London Pride and the menu gave all the pub-food options you'd expect to have either a single plate or if you want to make a three course meal of it.
This is not a 'fine dining' destination venue, nor does it set out to be but it provides a good choice of pub food fayre.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited today with 2 of our small children - we had planned to eat outside. The barman thankfully told us that there are a lot of wasps in the garden at the mo (as there seems to be everywhere) & as a result we ate inside. This was a good decision as when I took our drinks out, the wasps just flocked to us. Anyway, it's a lovely pub, food (salad for me, pie for him, pizza & chicken nuggets for kids) was great - good big portions, not cheap but not over priced either. There's a decent play area and large garden outside, there were (deflated) inflatable things outside too - we were there early lunch so I'm guessing this is why they weren't up. We will definitely return, hopefully just adults for a cosy evening meal.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I visit this lovely pub regularly for lunch. The pub has a great homely feel with an open fire in Winter and seating outside for the Summer. I've always found the food to be great, with an extensive menu, daily specials and an OAP special set menu. The staff are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating and I would recommend this great pub to anyone wishing good well cooked pub grub either at lunch time or in the evening.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lovely atmosphere in this tiny pub....food in the restaurant is mediocre but definitely edible..the staff are friendly and accomodating ...in the summer there is a large garden with play area and bouncy castle for the kids...worth a visit..