“Middle of the road chinese food”
Review of Sino

Sino
Ranked #16 of 51 Restaurants in West Malling
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Telephone:+44 (0)1732 872 888
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Middle of the road chinese food”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The restaurant itself is very nice, the waitstaff friendly, the cooks slow. The food ranges from blah to delicious. The prices are reasonable.

The place was nearly empty when we went, and it didn't get busier as we waited for our starters and then mains. We were served prawn crackers and tea while we waited, which was good because our starters were a long time coming. The shumai and har gau were both fresh and tasty; the Salt and Pepper Prawns were average.

The Sizzling Lamb was good enough, but in a very English way. The sauce served with it was about the same as you're average carvery gravy so I didn't feel like I was eating chinese food at all, in spite of the boiled white rice -- which, by the way, wasn't sticky either.

The Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls were a disappointment at best. The coating was more like hush puppy batter than tempura; heavy, dark and tasteless (much like the chicken itself).

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this restaurant again, although I could image ordering take out for very specific items if I lived 3 minutes away. Which I don't.

• Visited October 2013

Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Hit or Miss”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Ordering a takeaway from Sino is always a bit of an exercise in hope and disappointment. Each order is different, its either delicious or tasteless and I've yet to get exactly what I ordered. The last order I had was pretty bad, 3 out of 10 items were wrong, 1 was missing and I had 2 things I hadn't ordered. The food wasn't the greatest either and I think it is time to give up and move further afield for our Chinese.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank mike d
West Malling, United Kingdom
“Best in West Malling”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We eat here regularly and the food is great, the restaurant deserves to be a lot busier than it is as it's really nicely laid out. The service is excellent and very friendly and this is certainly the best of the Chinese restaurants we've tried locally.

To be more specific, we usually get the mixed Hors D'Oeuvres to start, which include the best ribs I've had from a chinese. Only thing I'd change is the chicken satays which would benefit from being a bit more bulky and less processed, but they're still great. I also prefer my prawn toast in thicker and in triangles, but that's a little picky on my part! One thing I would say is that the quarter duck seemed very small, only enough for four small pancakes so best go for the half if you're a fatty like me! The Kung Po chilli chicken is fantastic, far nicer than I've had in other local Chinese restaurants as were the other mains we had - particularly at the 'all you can eat' on a Sunday!

They also do a mean takeaway! The quality doesn't suffer at all like it does with many restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank EdJamesMusic
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
“Pretty average”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was ok, not a lot you can do wrong with chinese food but a little uninpiring. This is the second time I have been here in and both times it has been empty. Service has been with a smile though and the food is more than ok for a takeaway but was expecting a bit more when eating inside.

Visited March 2013
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Great Value Lunch”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

For just £7.50 a head it had to be good value anyway? We went as many reviews had praised the place and we were heading that way anyway. The high praise is well deserved and the food both tasty and plentiful. The staff are friendly and helpful and an evening visit is planned.

• Visited February 2013