“Average Restaurant”

The Gandhi Tandoori
Ranked #20 of 51 Restaurants in West Malling
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Bangladeshi, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Hillsborough, United Kingdom
“Average Restaurant”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Ok for a night out but not for a special occasion. The Mateer paneer ws disappointing. Other food was of reasonable standard, but nothing exceptional. Food was reasonable priced and fresh enough. ok for a night out, but not a special occasion.

• Visited July 2012

“disappointed”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Indian is my favourite food and I was so looking forward to dining here, however I simply did not enjoy my meal, my chicken was stringy and diced, I don't like the flavour when this is done, my friends meal was very runny, looked like soup. the nan was small and pre cut and the poppadoms tasted stale. The house red was too acidic and the bottled red we went on to was very thin bodied with no warmth to it. The service was a bit rushed but pleasant enough. I also thought it was a bit too expensive. So to sum up I wouldn't return.

• Visited April 2012
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, spoilt by where we were seated and by being rushed.”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We called in on the Gandhi restaurant at 7pm on a Saturday night on the off chance of getting a table. We were told that we could eat provided we would be finished by 8 o'clock. Since we did not want to bolt our food and go (and there are a lot of nice restaurants in West Malling as alternatives) we said we would leave it. We were then told it would not be a problem and were given a table. The table was right near the entrance and the seating area for takeaways which didn't bode well.

We had a stack of pappadums between us with relish instead of a starter. We were still eating these when we were told our main course was ready and could they bring it out. I literally had to hold the last half pappadum in my hands whilst they whipped our plates away...either that or lose it!

The main course arrived and the food was delicious. There was no problem when I asked for raita as an additional dish after our main course had been served and the raita was promptly delivered. Neither was there a problem in making us a 'doggy bag' as we had ordered far too much.

However, as soon as our spoon and fork hit the plates, a waiter was clearing the table. He was rushing so much that the cutlery fell off the pates onto the table taking with it remnants of our food. The table was not brushed properly so we were left with a table covered in grains of rice.

We were then given warm towels and 2 orange slices which kind of signalled the end of the meal. I mentioned to my husband that we were not given chocolates like the people on the next table and these then appeared...someone must have had good hearing! Since a dessert menu or coffee were not offered, I asked for a coffee. This was brought swiftly and was very good.

I can not fault the food, it was the best Indian food I have had for a long time but feeling under pressure to eat up and get out did spoil the experience for me to an extent.

The other problem was the constant stream of takeaway customers going in and out, talking at the top of their voices and seeming to forget that they were in a restaurant where people were dining. It's a shame that the takeaway customers can't somehow be seperated from the actual restaurant. When I go out for an evening meal, I do like to feel that I am in a restaurant, not a fast food diner.

They managed to get shot of us just after 8 pm as I took my time with my coffee. The next couple were already hovering at the side of our table.

My advice would be that the food is really great and you should try it.....but go at non peak times or dare I say it (as it is so hypocritical) join the take away queue! Whatever you do, refuse the table just inside the door with the pillar beside it if you want a relaxing meal.

• Visited February 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, good service!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Went there for my friend's birthday party and it was great fun! Good selection of food and wine choices and nice lively atmosphere. Good service too.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Fierce-Spicy-Chilli
Kent, United Kingdom
“Very good indian”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

You must have an Indian if your local to this place.
Food is fresh and very tasty, not your usual swimming in oil and all tastes similar fayre.
Would recommend it, great food, good service and fair price, note, can get busy so better book especially weekends.

• Visited September 2011