“Happy new june”

The Farm House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Farm House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in West Malling
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Farm House restaurant in West Malling is perfectly balanced ��� rustic and sophisticated, historic and up-to-date, traditional English and suavely continental. See what we mean? Built when QE1 was on the throne, The Farm House has an updated, trendy bar area, a pair of stunning dining rooms (one of them beamed), a sunny decked terrace and charming walled garden. The owners are committed to sourcing fresh, local ingredients of the highest quality, like the traditionally reared Kentish Limousin steaks with gratin dauphinois, tomato and French beans served with one of three sauces. You���ll even find Kentish wine on The Farm House���s excellent beer and wine list.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Four of us ate in the restaurant downstairs on our first visit, had an excellent meal with good service and a lively atmosphere. The next visit we were taken upstairs only two tables were populated and they had gone by 9.30 , ok that's not the fault of the restaurant but they had music on a very short loop and we heard auld Lang syne 6 times before a waitress turned up and we asked her to turn it off, the fact that it was the middle of June made it even more perplexing, the food was still good but as we all know that's not everything in a restaurant .

Aline K, Events at The Farm House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for coming back to us and posting your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry we failed to create the atmosphere you first enjoyed in the dining area, this is definitely something we would look at and discuss within the team. As you mentioned atmosphere is very important and thank you for pointing this out.

With best wishes

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I spotted The Farmhouse Gastro Pub online while surfing for pub restaurants in Kent. It looked good on the web and had a nice sounding menu, so I went ahead and booked a table for three of us on a Saturday lunchtime. It wasn't till after I had booked that I looked on Tripadvisor and noticed that while reviews were generally good in 2012, there had been a spate of poor reviews lately. We decided we'd risk it. The whole area (West Malling) was unknown to us and The Farmhouse advertised a few walks around the area starting and finishing at the pub. It sounded like a good Saturday afternoon out.

I'm very happy to say that everything turned out as well as we could have hoped for. West Malling is a nice little market town that could slip very easily into a Dickens or Jane Austen story. After our meal, we took one of their advertised walks past St Leonard's Tower. One of the shorter walks, it took us an hour to stroll round the circular route out of the town, past fields and hedgerows and a lake and back to the pub again.

The Farmhouse itself didn't let us down. My wife and I both had the fillet of pork with roasted pumpkin, crushed potatoes, kale, and tomato salsa, The pork fillet was excellent as were the vegetables and the flavour of the whole dish was overpoweringly good. Our third party member has a slightly restricted dietary taste, but the staff were happy to oblige us and alter the menu slightly to suit. My wife had strawberry parfait with merangues and cream which was lovely, but I think I had the best dessert. Kent apple and blackberry crumble with clotted cream ice cream. Traditional perhaps but still absolutely delicious. The only slight disappointment, and it is only slight, came at the end of the meal where I ordered a tea. It came with hot water in a teapot and a sealed sachet containing a tea bag. Do-it-yourself tea. Not perhaps the greatest idea in a restaurant. I might have let it go if we had been eating in the bar area, but we were in the restaurant. If the pub is going to use a tea bag rather than loose leaf tea, at least they should put it in the teapot for you. But that's the only niggle. It seems slight, but it was a disappointment at the end of a fabulous meal.

Service was also very good. The young lady who was our waitress served us with a big smile on her face. She was attentive without hovering and very helpful. She deserved her tip. I'll be happy to go back to West Malling sometime and visit The Farmhouse again.

1  Thank Halcro J

Dear customer,

Thank you for visiting the FarmHouse and posting your very complimentary comments about the food and the service you experienced on the day.

Our tea selection is from very special supplier, Dammann, which are possibly some of the finest. I think tea drinking can be a very personal thing from one individual to another. Because we do not portrait ourselves as a restaurant but a pub, tea service might not be the same as you would find in some other establishments.

We look forward to seeing soon in the future.

All the best

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've visited this pub many times for drinks in the evening and have eaten here with my sister once a few weeks back, it really is a lovely looking pub, with a big garden out the back with great heaters dotted about to keep you warm.

The food although a little pricey is lovely, my sister and i both enjoyed our meals and the restaurant is really quaint and had a good buzzy feel about it. My only gripe is the staff, they always seem so miserable and a bit abrupt when serving/taking your orders. When we had our meal i had to ask 3 times for our Water and we waited quite a long time for our Wine to arrive too, it was all a bit too 'here's your meal, I'm off' sort of attitude, i don't think we were asked if everything was ok either. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from going back because the food is worth it, but i think the staff need a few lessons in customer care and how to smile from time to time.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your regular custom and for your feedback about the food at the Farm house. Your comments with regards to the service have been discussed at length and we are always looking at way to improve our standards. Those are very important and thank you for sharing your point of view.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Now I'm not going to slay the Farmhouse, because the food is very good and I have been there many times. Last night a few things make me look twice and I do feel they are now over priced for what they offer.

The restaurant is cramped and not the place for an intimate conversation, but you do feel like you are having your meal in a pub rather than a restaurant. Small touches are lacking, like place mats or linen serviettes or flowers, or whatever on the tables. It didn't feel like a dining experience, more of a quick meal in a pub type affair with paper menus. The prices have crept up over the last couple of years, and I'm not sure they're warranted.

Aline K, Events at The Farm House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on trip advisor and also for your regular custom over the years.

When it comes to our identity we strongly identify our selves as a pub , rather than a restaurant and try to retain the rustic touches and the character of the building as the years go by and despite the changes we have made.

The increase of our prices though the years and mainly a result of food and drinks prices as a whole and I am sure you have seen that we constantly reinvest in the pub.

However we do take your comments in consideration and feedback always offer great food for thoughts as we can always do better...

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Wanted somewhere for a decent roast. Had the platter here, lamb, pork, beef. Decent portion for £15 but staff let this place down. No-one knew of our booking, waitress didn't know what beer was, wasn't offered any condiments with our food and the staff spent the entire time folding material napkins yet the entire restaurant seemed to have paper ones.

Food was nice, thick slices of meat, decent amount of veg, great crispy potatoes and a huge Yorkshire pudding. A little more gravy would have been nice and the offer of mustards etc but hey ho!

The restaurant also had several flies buzzing around, it's a hot day so I can let that pass but it was annoying flapping my arms around like I was calling a plane in to land!

It was virtually empty too, for a Sunday lunch time, I was surprised.

Would recommend the food but the service let this place down today.

1  Thank Stormboi69

Dear Sunday guest,

Firstly, I hope you will accept my apologies and those of the team a the Farm House that your experience was not up to our usual standard .
Your comments have been discussed with the team at length so as not to see a reoccurrence of those events in the future.
Finally, I would like to thank you for your feedback and your compliments about the sunday roast.

Please do feel free to contact me directly at events@elitepubs.com should you wish to return to the FarmHouse in the future.