“On the way to perfection”
Review of The Moody Mare

The Moody Mare
Reserve with OpenTable
The Moody Mare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 51 Restaurants in West Malling
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Offering pub Breakfast, lunches and casual dining, Live Entertainment every Friday typically motown and soul. Based on the outskirts of the picturesque village of Mereworth, The Moody Mare is an 18th Century Pub with exposed beams, oak tables and floors creating a cosy welcoming atmosphere. Being privately owned the standard of food is of the highest with award winning chefs and friendly front of house staff. Open Seven Days a Week and serving food all day from 9am. Our function room is available for private hire for wedding receptions, buffets, celebrations and business meetings
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We've visited this restaurant about half a dozen times in the last 10 years, but this was a first visit since the new chef arrived. I would describe the cooking as moden British with a slightly retro nod to the past. Those looking for very spicy or bistro-type food should look elsewhere.

Having looked at the menu online, I was disappointed that venison was not offered. Normally, I adore fish and there was a good choice available but I had eaten my fill of fish that week. The three people in our party chose steak fillet, belly of pork and a home made, hand raised chicken and tarragon pie. Only the gloopy garlic butter sauce that accompanied the steak failed to delight. Everything else was perfect and the pastry was soft and light. A few more choices on the menu would be good and vegetarians have very limited choice indeed. Portions are generous.

We managed both starters and dessert. It may be a modern quirk but serving a prawn cocktail in a jar with a lid looks lazy, unattractive and as if it was ready made and taken out of the fridge. Weird. Our other starters were garlic mushrooms and mussels in cider. Desserts were roasted peach with lavender shortbread and honeycomb ice cream (heavenly), apple pie pie with black currant sorbet and a cheeseboard.

Friendly and efficient staff with a great knowledge of the ingredients and cooking processes added to a really enjoyable evening.

I can see that it could be really noisy if you go on a live music night which I believe is normally Friday. The refurb continues with the bar to be repositioned and extra dining tables to be accommodated. We will definitely go again.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I wanted to write another review after our first not so good visit to Beeches last June, as it's since been taken over by new management, refurbished and has a fabulous new menu in place.

The place looks amazing and has been extended further back, so plenty of room for diners and you don't feel squashed in like before, the garden is lovely and well landscaped, perfect to enjoy a few drinks on a summers evening.
Our starters were really tasty and we both ordered steaks for mains and although my husbands had to be sent back as it was slightly overcooked, our waitress Lana was brilliant throughout and very attentive without being intrusive and she got his meal changed straight away and gave us both a free drink to compensate for the short wait, which is just the service you like to expect.
The food was really lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed each course.
The tribute act we saw was Motown and they were fab, the place was really buzzing and people got up to dance, this is such a good idea as it created a really good atmosphere.

So overall a fantastic improvement since the change of management and I'd highly recommend Beeches to everyone, we'll definitely be going back.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

A good few years ago we used to visit the Beeches regularly and never had a bad word to say. Based on this we decided to visit on Friday 2nd August.

They have live music on Friday and we were placed next to the stage. We asked to move as thought it would be too noisy and were accommodated straight away.

We chose the garlic camembert to share for starters which was lovely, but there isnt much you can do wrong in baking some cheese. They left the label on, good job we noticed before it got eaten.

For main I ordered the sea bass with pasta and a sweetcorn and mussel velouté and my partner the sirloin. It was this course that was a real let down. Though the pasta seemed home made, it hadn't been cooked for long enough, so was a little hard, but was ok. There wasn't enough of the velouté so it was quite dry. I also gave up eating the mussels when I came across the third was was full of sand or grit. The fish was nicely cooked, but I felt quite let down with it.

My partners steak wasn't much better. He asked for it medium rare, but it must have been cooked on an uneven light as nearly half of it was raw. I did tell him to send it back, but unfortunately he had already eaten the properly cooked half and then thought they would think he was pulling a fast one. He had a red wine jus with it, but that wasn't very pleasant, it was quite bitter. The chips that came with it were very nice.

We were also disappointed in not being offered any bread. This place isn't cheap and I would have thought bread would have come as standard, it used to.

The pudding was fantastic. We both ordered the chocolate mousse with cherries and berry ice cream. It was more of a ganache than a mousse, but it was very good and highly recommended.

One other part I felt a bit let down was the wine. In the past the wine was obviously carefully chosen, so even the cheaper bottles were of good quality. The one we chose was very mediocre and wasn't chilled properly. We had to ask for ice cubes to put in it. I would have thought there would have been an offer to exchange it for an adequately chilled bottle, but no.

I don't envisage us visiting again. I can see from the reviews that many people really enjoy this restaurant, so maybe we just caught them on an off day. I wouldn't want to risk being disappointed again for what you pay though.

1  Thank hippychick62
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My mate Jim and I visited The Beeches on Saturday 3rd August 2013 to celebrate our recent birthdays. We had heard good reports through word of mouth and we weren't disappointed.

We arrived around 1 pm, we hadn't booked but there were tables available and that the main kitchen was open from 12 noon til 14.30 then 18.30 til 2200 hr. Although bar snacks were available during the time when the main kitchen was closed.

We were greeted both by Maxine and Claire and found them both to be friendly and down to earth. After a couple of pints we sat down at our table and perused the extensive menu. We both ordered Pie of the day (Steak and Stilton) Jim also ordered Scallops for a starter which were excellent. We were also treated to some delicious bread made in the kitchen on site. The pies were served with mash potato and vegetables (the carrots were wonderful) We also ordered a nice bottle of white wine that came out perfectly chilled. For dessert I had the ice cream sorbet which came in three flavours and Jim had the lemon cheesecake again both meals were excellent.

After our meals we both went back to the bar and had a friendly chat with Maxine and Claire and also got to meet Beverley who is one of the chefs.

All in all it was a wonderful afternoon with excellent food and friendly staff and customers. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will certainly be returning in the near future.

Colin Macgregor

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

1st time I'd been back since the refurb and was amazed how gorgeous the interior is now !
Service was impeccable and nothing was to much trouble, took our 9 year old son with us and constantly he was being made a fuss off etc!
We had the bread n olive appetiser to start which was lovely and the Fillet steak was to die for! 1 of the best I'd ever tasted ! My son had fish chips n peas and for a child portion you get loads.
I decided to opt for roast peach honey ice cream and lavender biscuit for dessert (even though I was so full up!) it was gorgeous and presentation was wowza! Definitely up there with the Ivy which iv eaten in a few times but with a much better price tag !
I noticed they are doing afternoon teas to and with a play area outside lots of outdoor tables and ample parking I will definitely come here in the summer holidays.
Thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anybody who wants 1st class service with 1st class food !
Oh and ask Lara to make you a cocktail ! I had two and they were gorgeous.