“A bit of a gem”

Asterias Village Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Koutouloufari
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Any negatives that I have picked up in previous reviews are really down to that persons own incompetence in researching the place they are visiting, or factors beyond the Villages influence.
Upon the recommendation of a previous reviewer, we upgraded to an apartment from a studio (extra £30 on the holiday cost, Jet2.com), this gave larger accommodation and better balcony area, often with sea views. Been abandoned at “The Well” by the package holiday appointed shuttle in NO fault of the village either – it’s only a very short walk from there to the village, so didn’t really take issue with that either.
Koutouloufari is an excellent, authentic village up in the hills with cobbled streets and an excellent choice of Tavernas, we ate out every night and NEVER had a bad meal – you really can choose according to your budget – expect average of 40 euro, two people, two courses, two beers and half litre of wine. Cheapest was 29 euro, dearest 63 euro, each worth it in their own right. The greatest plus been that there are NO theme bars or “English/Irish Pubs” – so pretty cosmopolitan and relaxed.
Anyway, back to Asterias Village, can’t fault it! Again, previous research showed that indeed, all you get is a kettle and double electric stove plus fridge. With the intention of eating lightly and then dining out each evening, didn’t really see anything else been necessary? Brilliant the way that the complex is laid out in a village style, complementing the locality very well. The Asterias Village is kept very clean and the staff are all very friendly, competent and efficient, a real asset to the place. Pool area was great and we weren’t forced to listen to hotel entertainers throughout the day, as there are none – peace and relaxation is the real deal here. Infirm travellers may want to enquire about higher up rooms, as there are quite a lot of steps?
All in all, if you want peace, relaxation, great Tavernas, great old buildings within the original core of Koutouloufari and an ideal base from which to do so, then pick Asterias – or just mope in your room with a load of groceries, figuring out how to cook em 

Room Tip: upgrade to a one bedroom apartement
3  Thank Stevina

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We came for a holiday here, we were very pleased with our choice.
We had a lovely big room at the top which was ideal for us as we didn't have to walk up all those steps, every time we went out, the only time we used the steps was going down to breakfast or if we wanted a swim
The breakfasts were lovely with so much choice, either hot or cold what ever you had was very nice.
We went to the Greek night in the adjoining restaurant, which was a lovely night, we had a nice meal, but the red wine wasn't so nice, we had had better house wine in other restaurants.we enjoyed our night the only fault I can say about the night is the dancers were pulling you up to dance when you were still eating, which wasn't so good.
The swimming pool was lovely, you did have to get down early though for a sun bed, one fault about the pool was it was very slippery as you entered the pool their was railings to hold and there was a notice but I still saw people slipping, so maybe they should do something about that.
This was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed in Greece, the staff were very good, they kept the hotel very clean.
I would come and stay here again, but take earplugs as you could here cockerels,not good early hours of the morning.

1  Thank sidami
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived on 14th September at 23:30 and arrived to be welcomed in a warm manner by frosse (lovely waitress). We went to check in and whilst this happened our luggage was brought down by staff from reception and that was a sigh of relief seen as there's a mass of steps to come down (hard work at times, and the uphill walk to the top is much better to manage). We was then asked to go to oliva restaurant as they was expecting us and provided a welcome meal!

We woke up to a beautiful view as we was given a studio apartment above reception, wasn't disappointed either! Rooms are a tad basic but you can expect it, it's a very typical Greek hotel in that aspect, mattresses are hard but you get used to them, if you can't then reception will provide a topper (if they've got some available), satellite tv was more catered for German and Dutch folk! No toaster but then again not needed as we was on half board basis!

Breakfast had a decent amount of selection! I.e. Cereals,croissants,toast and fruits to a cooked breakfast (not an English breakfast in my eyes) as sausage was smoked mini hotdogs and bacon wasn't what I call bacon!! (But typical) scrambled egg is awesome though! And breakfast doesn't stay hot for long though so eat it quick!

Big selection of beverages for breakfast too........

Lunchtime menu is pretty good value for money and I did tend to enjoy the baguettes and a large beer lol......as you do!

Around the pool is relaxing, good mixture of folk that were pleasant towards me and my fiancé, I found putting towels down for sun beds were a reasonable time of 8-9 am and then on to breakfast!

The pool is ace but disappointed jacuzzi wasn't in working order.......

The set four course menu was okay I suppose meaning its repetitive but I wasn't pleased with one or two meals my fiancé received and no apology was received for one of them. But that's all il say as they were very good up there as I guess that night they struggled as a chef wasn't there and frosse cooked so fair play........

Plenty of tavernas to go to and sample, I mean one after the other!

Now what makes this hotel is the staff.......... My praise would have to go to Alex (pool barman) he's a big character and I for one found him to be gem and made me smile......top top guy!........

Frosse and sophe are great waitresses and will do anything to make your night(s) rememberable........now I am not able to name the fella that was the host at the front, he was a very good host and was on level par with Alex and I regret that I can't remember his name.........

All in all I loved it and I would definitely comeback but on B&B basis!

Room Tip: Above reception gives a great view from balcony and the free wifi is pretty good.
3  Thank Jkirby85
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Just back from a week at Crete staying at Asterias Village. The rooms are basic, with little cooking equipment, however leaving this aside, rooms have fantastic space big balcony and the cleaners go above their duty by folding clothes and washing dishes. Pool area is clean, with a good bar with no problem in getting sunbeds (always spare stacked at the back). The location is fantastic, up the mountain overlooking the town of Hersonissos (20 minutes walk) but within a friendly traditional Greek Village. Well worth the stay, can't wait to return.

2  Thank 921redbull89
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Dropped off at the well at some unearthly hour. Didn't even know we were there until I asked another passenger. Not an impressive start. Got a good room though with views of the sea, the pool and the mountain to the side, no complaints there. Friendly staff and good clean accommodation, plenty of eating places in the village and never had a bad meal, not cheap though prices on par with the UK. We hired a quad bike for 8 days to get us up and down from the village at very competitive rates. The only real negative was the lack of entertainment of a night, after going out for a meal and finishing at around 10-30 pm there was nothing to do and that's a bit too early for bed on holiday. In summary its a lovely place and its a good holiday if you just want to chill out but I've a bit of life in me yet so wont be going back

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top of the complex
3  Thank Ray A
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went expecting a great complex with good accommodation and facilities but unfortunately the room we were given was disappointing. It was small with only a small outside area although it wasn't overlooked. The self catering facilities were very basic in our room with very little space or equipment. Anything more than making a cuppa was a problem. The room was kept clean and well serviced. I believe other apartments on the complex are more roomy The pool bar is very good during the day (didn't use it at night). The pool area is lovely but don't bank on getting a sunbed as there seems to be an on going issue with people leaving towels on the beds even when they're not using them for most of the day. Overall it's a nice enough place to stay but the variety of standards of the rooms can make a big difference to your holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank max108s
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The first room we got had no certain. The floor wasn't clean and the room was too small. We went to the reception and had a very positive service from Antonis. He help us and we got an other room at the very next day. All in all it was a very good vacation. The brekfest is good even more then dinner. All the staff were just wonderful and plesent. Very realexing and quiet place. Good location.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank karolineli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koutouloufari
Marni Village
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias
Kiani Beach Resort Family All Inclusive

Been to Asterias Village Resort? Share your experiences!