“GREAT PLACE!”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Koutouloufari
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“GREAT PLACE!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This place is super, situated almost in the centre of Koutouloufari village with lots of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. I only stayed for 1 week but I could have quite happily stayed for at least another week - or 3. I had a studio on the top floor and even though I have mobility issues I still managed to negotiate all the stairs. The room was spotlessly clean, nicely decorated, well furnished and the kitchen area was very clean, spacious and well equipped. It had a large wardrobe & dressing table and there was also a hairdryer - that worked! The balcony overlooked the rear pool area and had magnificent views of the sea and Hersonnissos town. The bathroom was a little on the small side but it was functional. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were properly cleaned every 2 days. Great value for money and I'll definitely be going back next year for at least 2 weeks.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Limeandlemon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed at the apartments for a week. Had a very good time. Impressed with them, very nicely furnished. Clean and tidy. Value for money.The staff were very friendly. Loved the main bar was able to sit and watch the world go by. The food was good too, plenty of it. Will go back definitely.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank hamble72
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We recently stayed with the wonderful staff at the Astra Village Apartments. They made our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The facilities were kept immaculately clean by a cleaning team who never seemed to stop. The bar and reception staff were all very friendly and helpful, ensuring that all of our needs were met to the best of their ability and always with a smile. I will definitely be returning to the Astra apartments for future visits to Koutouloufari and would highly recommend them to everyone. Wonderful!!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have balconies with view of either the sea or the mountains.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jennifer E
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have just returned home from a week at the Astra. We have been to koutouloufari over 20 times but never stayed here before but we will definitely be staying here again. We had a nice studio which was kept spotlessly clean. I cant believe the quality of the complex for what we paid. There is a pool bar and a main bar and all staff were friendly and helpful especially Thanos. Complex is situsted in the middle of koutouloufari and is in a perfect location. As stated before there are a number of steps but my father only has one leg and he managed! Cant wait to go back

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank kou2uloufari
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I have stayed in many similar places to this in Greece and was sadly disappointed with many of the aspects of staying at Astra. Despite travelling with a friend, we were only given one key, meaning we could not do our own thing. We eventually got a second after three or four days, somewhat reluctantly. Also the air conditioning was expensive and over priced. Worse than that, the air con was only activated by putting your key in the light switch; so basically despite forking out a lot of money, you still come back to a hot and stuffy room.

The reception staff were generally surly and unapproachable, the opposite of the typical family run Greek complex based on my previous experience across the islands.

My biggest annoyance with the place was the owner's urge to fleece you at all times. Even when we asked to extend the room for our departure date, we were then told to move to the other side of the complex, to a room with no air con which hadn't been cleaned (the room was much bigger too). Worst of all, my friend was threatened with police prosecution for having our own bottled water one day when we were sat by the pool. This was rather strange and embarrassing, and left us feeling rather frustrated and for me means I wouldn't return to Astra. Not only have I never been told this before, on half a dozen trips to Greece, but I also think it could have been handled much better and less humiliating for the guests.

The room we had was over the bar, which lead to a little noise, though as it was quiet before the high season, nothing too late. We were told these rooms were the exclusively for Jet2 guests. I noticed they were freshly decorated that the pictures on the Jet2 website, giving the impression we were in the older rooms, as well as the smaller ones, based on the extended stay room we got. There was a tv in room, which didn't work as it has batteries corroding in the remote. Usual small bathroom and lack of shower curtain, but no major deal.

The rooms were well cleaned and maintained and the cleaning staff were nice. The guys who ran the bar below were pleasant and always helpful.

Koutouloufari is a nice little place; there are three nice adjoining villages up the hill from the rather nasty and tacky Hersonissos. So the beach is walkable as it's downhill, but it is a long walk back up in the heat. There are a few good restaurants, some far better than others, but only a few bars. The next places are Piskipiano and Old Hersonissos, both and nice to walk around with a good choice of restaurants - especially recommend Kostas and David Vegera, a short walk away. It is peaceful and quiet, but not especially authentically Greek as everything is tourist focused. But it is rather nice and enjoyable and I would return someday to the resort.

We got a car locally and took a day trip to the south; both Myrtos and Arvi are really nice for a change of scene by the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room at the back, but if you are on Jet2, you won't get a choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank RedSoxBhoy
Runcorn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my little 15 year old sister in July 2013. The hotel itself was OK, basic rooms, below average bathroom (got dirty so easily, stank) and average pools. Booked it on a budget holiday as the reviews seemed good. The bar was amazing and we became friends with the barmen who made lovely cocktails. However on coming to leave after 2 weeks there - we had a problem with the lady owner. She firstly moved us from our room at 10am after we had agreed to pay late check in and was extremely rude and rushed us out (literally grabbing my belongings and throwing them into a different room) baring in mind, this was within half an hour of informing us they were moving us to a separate room - and of course we had not packed (hence the late check out...) which had cost us 20 euros. She then tried to charge us 7 euros per night for buying our own oscillating fan, which I declined to pay as there was no mention that this was not allowed when we checked in. She was annoyed but of course had no ground to stand on regarding that. She then tried to charge me a further 40 euros claiming we had broken a table which was a complete fabrication as I believe she wanted to try and get as much money out of me as she could, given that I am 23 and my little sister is 15 and she had very little respect for us, and probably took me for a bit of a fool (I am guessing due to our age). She then threatened that if I didn't pay she would phone the airport and stop me from flying (which again, nothing came of it as she had nothing to justify it) so unfortunately despite having a lovely holiday - we had an unpleasant ending which left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for Koutouloufari... however Asterias Village up the road I would return too, went there for meals (AMAZING) and the service and staff were more than polite and kind. Their rooms looked amazing too (for anyone wishing to go!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Nicolle C
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We didn't stay at these apartments, but used the bar which was on the main street every day we were there. Kostas and Yannis, the 2 guys who worked there were just such nice people, nothing was too much trouble. We met several couples who kept returning to stay there year after year - I guess that says it all. All in all, lovely bar and staff! (and cocktails!!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple