“lovely way toss the country”

Bavarian Horse Riding Stables
Ranked #3 of 11 Outdoor Activities in Sami
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I took a 2 hour ride from Connies Bavarian Riding Stable at the end of March 13. Everything was arranged by email beforehand and very easy to sort out. The stables could do with a slightly larger sign but we only missed the turning once. I arrived quite a bit early but that was no problem as everything was very laid back. I’m fairly competent so I was allowed to help groom my mare Luna. All the 10 or so horses I saw were in top condition and really well looked after.

I was offered a choice of English or Western Saddle and Luna was tacked up for me with her own well fitting kit, which included brushing boots. I chose a hard hat from the large selection available.

We headed out for our hack. We only had to cross one road and then we were onto farm tracks. My guide spoke great English and was very knowledgeable, she told me about the local wild life and some of the places we were passing. The wild flowers were everywhere in huge variety. I was surrounded by colour and the scent of orange blossom and wild herbs. It was beautifully quiet. Apparently the flowers and greenery that I saw will last till early June then the landscape becomes much more arid.

There were not many places suitable for fast work but we had one nice trot, which was enough for me. There were lovely views over the valley and a walk past a ruined village where the gardens have gone wild. Then we headed back to the stables.

A the end of the ride I was given bread to reward Luna and both the horses were gently hosed down and fed ready for the afternoon ride. Connie is very strict about welfare and in the height of summer will only take rides out in the cool of the morning or evening.

I paid 40 euros, which I felt was very reasonable.

2  Thank ClaireSussex

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This winter, out of season we took a holiday to kefalonia. We decided to find a stables that we might enjoy some scenery whilst on horseback. My husband is a beginner and I am a qualified BHS instuctor, so we were really looking forward to finding a good stables and enjoying ourselves.
The Bavarian Riding Stables did not disappoint. Firstly, I admired their proffesional attitude particularly having never met me before they were not willing to hurt either the horses or myself by allowing me to go hell for leather up a mountainside. The horses were in excellent condition and the stables themselves were kept very clean and in good order. Our first ride was taken in the mountains with spectacular views and the we enjoyed ourselves further still by the friendleness of the staff, where nothing was too much trouble. Having a beginner with us did not detract from the enjoyment of our ride and I was glad that the ride was steady because we would have missed the views of the sea & ancient villages through the olive trees. Our second visit to the stables a few days later now the staff could trust I could handle a horse was taken up in the mountains but on wider tracks where we could canter. My husband having enjoyed the initial ride out decided he was in need of some more tuition had a lesson in the outdoor school from the German instructor who made the lesson very enjoyable. I would like to thank the Bavarian Riding Stables for making our riding the highlight of our holiday, it was an immense pleasure to spend time with their beautiful horses & friendly staff. Hopefully we will see you again soon. Fran & Mark B

5  Thank mark b
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Near Sami, horses well looked after, great views from the 3 hour ride into the mountains, a bit expensive at 60 euros.

1  Thank philip m
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week staying with Conny who runs the Bavarian Horse Riding Stables. We rode every day and we absolutely loved it! Like the other reviews, the horses and all of her animals are beautifully cared for and in excellent condition. I ride haflinger horses at home and I can assure any potential visitor that her horses are in fantastic condition, even more so given the challenges of caring for them, ie, no equnie vets, no farrier etc.
I note what people have said about her being bossy. She is not bossy, anyone who knows and deals with horses knows that they have to be in absolute control the whole time (as far as is ever possible!). Yes, there are times when Conny has to be firm and direct, but with us she was courteous, kind and often hilarious! She speaks excellent English, but with all the inflections of a native German who now speaks fluent Greek!
The trip advises that you go trekking on horses, this does not mean long periods in trot, or canter for that matter. Trekking on horses is a different way of exploring the island other than by car, bike or on foot. Its not the same as going out hacking on horses at home. Plus, the terrain on the island is hard, stoney and mountainous, I do sometimes wonder what people expect!
I had the most relaxing week's holiday I have had in a long time. The horses are so well behaved, you get to see parts of the island you would not normally see and best of all in my opinion, you get to spen time in excellent equine company and with Conny, who honestly, is hilarious!!
Finally, if you dont like the thought of trekking, book lessons with her. She is an excellent teacher, seriously good!

1  Thank BellajKay
Reviewed September 28, 2012

One of the highlights of our trip to Cafeloina was to visit and experience horse riding in the mountains. My wife and I are both novices. To begin with, I was a little anxious about riding as I have never ridden before. Conny takes time to get to know her customers and makes them feel welcomed and at home with the horse. She taught us to relax and not to be tense as we sat on our saddle. Her horses seemed comfortable and relaxed with us. Conny then took us to the mountains where we saw some breathtaking views of Sami.

Conny has about 15 horses. She also takes in abandoned dogs and cats. The horses are well groomed. It was interesting to watch the dynamics between dogs and horses, some harmony, some power posturing.

I recommend a visit to Conny’s horse riding stable and take a ride on the wild side. You’ll love the experience. For an hour’s ride it will cost €20 pp. and €30 pp. for 1 ½ hours ride

Taxi fare is between €7-10. Nina the receptionist at Hotel Pericles told us that it should not cost more than €7 as it is about 3 kilometres to the stables. When we ordered a taxi to take us there, the taxi driver wanted to charge us €10 and he complained all the way and he finally charged us €8. Instead of dropping us off at the Stable, he dropped us at the side of the main road and we walked 200m to the stable from the main road. Just make sure you ask the taxi driver how much it will cost before paying too much.