“Trip Through Tanzania via Mwanza; Perfectly Planned”

Vic Consult Tours & Safaris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We specialize in African tailor-made and scheduled safaris to suit your needs. We arrange visits for uniquely personalized Tanzania adventures including budget safaris, Luxury Safaris, Affordable Tours, Zanzibar beach holidays, walking safaris, and mountain climbing adventures to Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 1, 2016

On a recent trip to Mwanza, I found my self using Vic Consult to assist with planning of some day excursions in town. I found them through a previous trip through the Serengeti in 2012, and the service has stayed stellar since then.

Victor helped me put together a great day in and around Mwanza. Our first stop was a tour of some of the sights of Mwanza via boat. The boat we took was a small, hand made craft piloted by some laid back local guys. They steered us first out to the famous rock formation in the bay, which provided a very close photo op of the most recognizable landmark of Mwanza. From there, we saw both the fishing market (a little stinky but very cool) and a small outlying island. During the trip, we saw kingfishers, otters, Nile monitors, and vervet monkeys. We also got a chance to see some local fisherman, although Victor was unable to find a reasonable price for their Nile Perch catch.

After the tour, and a quick lunch, we visited the Sukuma Museum. This was an interesting spot, if not a little worn from age. I have had the opportunity to see several different tribes throughout east Africa and appreciated the chance to learn about the Sukuma as well. I would rank this as something nice, but not a must see if you're not highly interested in the Sukuma people.

I also used Vic Consult to arrange my Kilimanjaro climb, through a partner in Moshi. Victor was extremely responsive in setting this trek up, making all arrangements for transportation upon my arrival in Moshi and working to create an itinerary on the Machame route. I successfully made the peak, thanks in big part to a trip set up by Victor. I would make sure to find out what all is covered through the partner group while booking, as my lodging for the first evening in Moshi was not included in my trip. It was, however, very nice to book through Victor who I was able to trust for both day trip plans and my Kilimanjaro trip.

Overall, Vic Consult delivered yet another well planned trip and excellent customer service. Victor not only planned my day trips, but assisted with finding lodging and transportation while in Mwanza. I was excited to email Victor once I returned to Moshi from my successful Kilimanjaro climb. I owe Victor for another great visit to Tanzania!

1  Thank Jim M
"benny"
"communication"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

We traveled to Tanzania in August and we wanted to organize a safari to Rubondo Island and Victoria lake. Victor helped us in everything! Our safari was absolutely fantastic. The guide was very very friendly and we enjoyed a lot. The trip was very safe and everything was well organized.

Thank you very much Victor!

Español: queríamos visitar Rubondo Island y Víctor organizó un safari privado para nosotros. Todo muy bien organizado, la verdad es que estamos muy contentos de haber elegido esta compañía! Gracias Victor!

1  Thank RQuiro G
Reviewed September 19, 2016

My friend and I went on a private 3 day safari and visited the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, and Lake Manyara. We had a fantastic time visiting all of these places. We saw an abundance of wildlife and stayed in some spectacular lodges. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Victor, the owner, is incredibly accommodating and made sure we had a trip that was comfortable and within our budget, which is not always easy to find. He was incredibly prompt with all of my email inquiries and very professional. I highly recommend this company!

1  Thank mcojendyk
Reviewed August 25, 2016

My boyfriend and I did a private 6 day safari with Vic Consult and had a really great time! Organizing the safari with Vic was super easy, and he responds really quickly, considerately and thoroughly!

Our driver, Henry, was really good at spotting very hidden animals and made sure we got to see great spots on some of the smaller roads! He also worked really hard to get our car back in shape when we had some minor issues with it one day. Our cook was extremely kind as well, and was even nice enough to give us a Chapati cooking lesson at his house after the safari!

Everything worked seamlessly. We had an amazing time!

2  Thank 95ram
See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2016

I traveled with three other Americans and we did a 3 day, 2 night camping safari with the Ngorongoro crater. We were nervous going into it as many other safari groups have more reviews than Vic but Victor was so responsive to email and willing to work with our schedule and budget, that we went for it. We were not disappointed at all! We saw so many more animals than we expected and only missed out on seeing a rhino, which is understandable give our short time frame and the rhino's rarity.

Positives
1) They provided us a driver and a cook. This meant more eyes watching out for animals for us, more hands to help us with the tents, and delicious food. We even got pumpkin soup one night and another night had a steak dinner!
2) Super accommodating with our schedule and budget, despite us wanting to see the crater (which is about 9 hours from Mwanza).
3) Our driver Emile clearly had experience. He knew all the areas to see the rarer animals like cheetahs and leopards. He also took us to a Maasai village which was really cool.

Negatives
1) Our pop up roof would fall on the rougher roads. I am not sure if this was unusual, but half the experience is being able to use the pop-up roof. Whenever we stopped to see something we could push it back up but luckily we had rope to tie it open.

Suggestions
1) Bring a flashlight if you are doing the camping version. We needed it.
2) If you camp at the Ngorongoro Crater know it gets very cold at night. It was 10-15 degrees celsius our night and we were not prepared for that clothes wise.
3) Three days was a little rushed and I would suggest at least four. The last day we drove a long time to get back to Mwanza. The road is extremely bumping and dusty, which made our last day still good but not as great.
4) If you get stopped by the police on the way to the safari and it takes a while, know this is not Vic's fault. We were in Tanzania for a few weeks before and realized this is basically the norm.
5) We definitely under-tipped, which we feel bad about since our crew was great. It should be $15/day for each. Can do +/-5 depending on your experience.

4  Thank Bri M