Book In Advance

from $100.90
More Info
from $23.25
More Info
All reviews gold panning train ride our tour guide pan for gold copper mine all ages gift shop sea to sky highway great tour mine shaft many times on site rainy day copper mining great job whole family hard hats
Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you went years ago, go again. It has been redone and I thought I'd check it out again. I took my 14 year old son.

It is very easy to find. It is right (literally) on the main highway (Sea to Sky) just after the Furry Creek community. There is plenty of free parking. The main check in is easy and efficient. People may think it is expensive but I think the cost is comparable to other similar tourist spots. They give you a map and you are off. There is a short movie about the history. This first building has nice displays. There are interactive computers which the kids will love. There are exhibits for adults and some for kids.

There are plenty of other buildings to explore. There are outdoor exhibits. The educational signage makes it really easy to learn the main features of the mine. I particularly liked the exhibits about the history of the mine families and their day to day lives.

The tour of the mine is fine. You should wear closed shoes because there is standing water in the mine. There is mud so don't wear your best shoes. You do have to wear hardhats. Little kids might have trouble keeping them on but they will have fun on the tour. The actual train ride itself is short and then there is a little walk around inside the mine. The guide explains how the mine ran and answers questions. Very knowledgeable. After that the tour goes into the huge mine building.

There is a nice play area for kids. There is a small café open during the summer. There is a large gift shop. Prices are reasonable considering it is a tourist spot. The income from the store goes to the running of the mine so in the end it helps to consider that when purchasing your items. Washrooms are clean.

Across the highway is the ocean. Walk over and you can walk to a small rocky beach with logs to sit on.

Enjoy.

4  Thank Canadoc
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Museum is interesting and the exciting part of the attraction was taking a rail car into the mine for a short distance. It took about two hours to see most of the exhibit. I did find the price a bit steep - two adults was $45.15. The actual proccessing building was impressive - it would have been a huge operation when it was running.

1  Thank scubakerryllr
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you are traveling from Vancouver to Squamish or even Whistler...a stop at the Britannia Mining Museum is a must. The guided tour takes about 1 hours and a bit. Our Tour Guide was a wealth of information and the mining cars that take you deep into the tunnels was an amazing experience..hard hat and all. The kids can even pan for gold..:-)

2  Thank Susan T
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went with my four year old and drove up from Vancouver. The museum was only about 45 mins drive away... We went and learned all about the mining experience and what it's really like for a worker underground.

We started off taking pics with all of the mining equipment and gold panning for gem stones which my daughter really loved. It was extremely educational and the tour guide was a young lady with an Aussie accent I believe. She taught us the conditions the miners worked in, the history of the mine and the community and gave us a great appreciation for the hard work these labourers go through. The tour we went on included a ride on the mining carts for a short bit and a very real demonstration of some of the mining tools used both in the past and present. We went from there to the processing area where the rocks are crushed and learned how copper was made. We stayed for a couple of hours early in the morning as we had to get back to Vancouver and meet friends for lunch. I would've loved to have stayed longer but it was so worth it.

The only thing I would recommend is dress a bit warmly for the tunnels as they may be a bit cool depending on the weather and time of day / year you go. We went recently in August and the weather was decent so it was fine.

I definitely recommend this for family and friends or anyone.

2  Thank Dean M
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were driving from Vancouver up to Whistler and were passing by this museum and decided to stop and check it out. So glad we did! We thoroughly enjoyed the tour inside the mountain and learning about the hazards of mining. Our tour guide was fantastic. Really made us feel as if we were working the mine. It was extremely interesting learning about the communities of the miners. Would definitely recommend the Britannia Mine Museum.

2  Thank Rosemary S