“Kids love this place”

Bayview Wildwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Severn Bridge
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We just finished our 2nd vacation at Bayview Wildwood with our 5 year old daughter. If she gets her way, we'll be going there once a year (if not more) for the next decade. We have met many families who have been doing exactly that. The whole place is centred around the kids' experience. The kids programs are all run by enthusiastic, responsible college students who genuinely enjoy working with children. The programs run into the evenings with shows, music, and plays that usually get the children involved. There is a very strong community feeling that I've never experienced in any other vacation setting. We were shocked to see about a dozen of the same families that were here during our vacation last year. Even the teenagers want to keep coming back. One of the lodges is named after a family that visited annually for over 40 years.

There's also lots for adults to do. Activities are constantly planned. Also, many of the adults get together and organize their own actvities. The folks in our week are keen on beach volleyball.

This place has been a family run vacation resort since the late 1800's. The fourth generation of the Stanton family is now running it. The price is very competitive compared to other all-inclusive resorts in Ontario.

One thing that is a little strange is that the train runs right by the resort. However, you'll be surprised by how quickly you get used to it and it ceases to be an issue. The food is acceptable but not outstanding.

If you want your kids to have a great time, this is the place. Beware, that your kids may insist that you return.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank ehsing
There are newer reviews for Bayview Wildwood Resort

Reviewed January 18, 2006

We've gone to Bayview each year for about 8 years in a row. It's a great family place with something for everyone. I like that they don't charge extra for the kid's programs. I don't like that the resort is right beside the train tracks. The staff are wonderful -- very helpful. When we first started going there, you used to be able to get weekend packages though and that seems to be something of the past. You now have to pretty much take a 5 day or 7 day package which is pretty expensive. You can get weekend packages only on Canada Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend. We love it there -- it's just expensive. Food is good -- not great -- but plentiful. It seems like you eat non stop. Your package includes 3 meals a day so it seems like it's all you're doing -- eating. Plus, the evening snack for the kids and then, a little later, for the adults is a nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2004
4  Thank mikey0531
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We stayed at Bayview Wildwood in early August of 2005, my husband, my mom, 9 year old daughter and myself. We stayed for 5 days and enjoyed our time there.
Food was very good and the dining room staff were very efficient and friendly. Our 9 year old really enjoyed the kids camp - the camp staff were all excellent and all the kids seemed to love going to the things they had planned.
The shows were all excellent - we were very impressed with them.
We liked the set up of the resort and the fact that it has lots of activities and things to do and keep you busy. Indoor pool and outdoor pool were both very nice, warm and clean. The equipment in the workout room seemed very new and in very good condition. I personally did not use it... give me a break I was on holidays!!!
The water at the beach was a little weedy but it is a nice big sandy beach area for people to sit and relax and kids to play.
Our room was nice and clean and well supplied, nice front deck over looking the lake.
Staff at the front desk were always friendly and helpful!
We would return to Bayview Wildwood and would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank Jillibean
Reviewed January 23, 2005

My family and I have been going to the Sparrow Lake area for close to 50 years and there is no doubt that Bayview Wildwood is the jewel of the area. We have been going to the resort for 4 years now and we are always disappointed when our week is over. There are plently of activites to do for all age groups. I have two small nephews that love their play groups. My brother and I participate in the majority of sports.

The area is a true representation of Ontario cottage country. A beautiful lake to both swim and paddle in. Great roads to bike on. Fantastic hiking trails.

Since it is Ontario, the weather is questionable, so it is recommended to pack accordingly (even if you are going in the middle of the summer).

The resort rooms are great. There are different ranges in rooms from hotel style rooms to 2 bedroom cabins with small sitting areas. There are cabins that do need to be renovated and they are in the process of doing so. My fiance and I stayed in a newly renovated cabin last year, which has been used by other family members in years past, and they did a fantastic job. I felt like we were in a top notch room in downtown Toronto.

Overall, I would highly recommend the resort, especially if you are a family. The Stanton family, who run the resort, have created a great place to go and have a fun time.

5  Thank disneynorth
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 25, 2004

My family has been coming up to wonderful Bayview Wildwood for over 35 years and each time is more enjoyable. Family and friends return the same week every year to have a great time with all. There are fun activites for all ages. The kids are happy and quickly make good friends in their play groups. There are options available for teens, and numerous activites for adults (tennis, aquafitness, etc.) Bikes, boats, and kayaks are available for rent, and one can sign up for waterski or wakeboarding lessons at the waterfront. Meals are absolutely delicious and are eaten at the same table every night. I hope that bayview always keeps its rustic charm and look forward to many years of fun to come there.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 20, 2004

My family of 4 visited here for 5 days on July 4th-9th. When my daughter, aged 12, first saw the white clapboard buildings scatterred around the lake, she immediately said she didn't like it, and the rest of the family also looked askance at what seemed to be a rather shabby group of buildings. By the time we were to leave, both kids were glum about leaving and adamant that we were returning next year. The real draw of this place is not its luxury of accomodation or even its unique location, after all there are lots of lakes in Ontario, but the atmosphere of joining in for good old fashioned fun. Some people we met had been coming with various family members for 12 years, one man in his sixties had been coming since he was one year old. The Stantons are very hospitable and accomodating, and really try hard to fulfill any requests. Mealtimes are limited to a 90 minute time frame which is rather restrictive but the food is tasty and they offer something different every day. Having the same table in the dining room throughout the duration of your stay is a nice touch and made us feel we "belonged". There is a basic general store for emergency supplies, but it's best to BYO everything, as stock is quite limited. The rooms don't have hairdryers, I borrowed one from the front desk, but that too is probably best to bring along. The children have activities throughout the day that kept them happy and busy, and they swiftly made friends that they plan to keep in touch with from home. Adults have less options such as horseshoe tournaments and and aquafitness. Shuffleboard and bocce ball tournaments are Very competitive here, which make adults who haven't been participating for years a little uncomfortrable and a newcomer trying Eucre, a card game which is cutting edge competitive according to those playing, will quickly get the drift-or get out of the way. The bugs were truly unbearable on the hiking trails despite liberal doses of bug spray, hats and long sleeved jackets and pants, so that did not provide much exercise value. Both the indoor and outdoor pools are quite small, which doesn't bother the kids or the parents with small children but limits the options of others. Billiards, ping pong, racquet ball and tennis are available and was enjoyable. The casino night was a blackjack blast but the highlight of the trip was the staff and guest talent show which was just a load of good old fashioned fun for all. Railroad tracks run RIGHT by the resort with frequent trains in the middle of the night, so if you sleep less than soundly at home, you will be startled awake several times a night. Overall, this is a great place to come to reconnect with family members or friends you don't see often- the kids will make new friends immediately; parents are likely best off to "bring their own". If we come next year, I hope to bring my sister's family of 5 with us:this is definitely a place where "the more, the merrier!"

13  Thank Sue M
Reviewed April 20, 2004

I vacationed at Bayview Wildwood for five summers, and found the staff to be extremely friendly and accomodating. Accomodations range from "no frills" to more upscale, and are priced accordingly. The food is excellent and abundant - higher quality than some more expensive Muskoka resorts I have visited - and there are plenty of activities for all ages. The *only* drawback is that a railroad track runs right alongside the resort, so you might be awakened by the loud (and I mean loud) train horns at any hour of the night. If you don't mind that, it is a great resort and great value for your money! I would go back any time!

4  Thank B_R_Toronto
#2 of 4 in Port Severn
Horseshoe Resort
Horseshoe Resort
#8 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Bayview Wildwood Resort? Share your experiences!