“Outstanding Restaurant”
Review of Le Maitre D'

Le Maitre D'
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Maitre D' is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Le Maitre D is a personal, neighborhood style restaurant situated in the town of Penetanguishene, a picturesque bilingual community at the southern tip of beautiful Georgian Bay. The 45 seat restaurant serves dinner Tuesday to Sunday from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving, and Thursday to Sunday the rest of the year. The menu selection consists of regional cuisines of France and Canada. It features traditional French-Canadian recipes with a Metis influence - two cultures that are part of the fibre of Huronia.We invite everyone to savour gourmet cuisine that features local products and heritage. We place great emphasis on forming relationships with farmers and artisans. Come, experience our hospitality, enjoy the sounds of French music and the talent of our local artists!~ Dave Brunelle (Owner)
Georgian Bay, Canada
“Outstanding Restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I dined there for the first time yesterday to celebrate her 60th birthday. Upon arrival were treated like old guests. A pleasant uncluttered room, bright colours, soft music, comfortable environs and a nicely laid out table, David our waiter (who I later learned was the owner) was attentive, personable, friendly and discreet. He explained all the dinner options and sources of food they use, trying to bring local fare to the menu. We chose the shrimp cocktail to start then my wife the seafood crepe while I the rack of lamb. A nice basket of fresh bakery arrived and the metis derived bread was delish! The shrimp crisp and fresh and exactly 6 (how to you share 5?) Then the main courses arrived and much to my delight they were spectacular. Fresh, tasteful, plentiful, tender. Her seafood crepe exploded with distinct flavours in my mouth, creamy, and plentiful, while my rack of lamb was tender, lightly herb crusted and fresh, perfectly prepared. The jus had just the right consistency and flavour to accompany, not overpower and the vegetables fresh and crisp. Dessert of Creme Brulee and Pouding Chomeur was a fantastic topper. The only downside was that I hadn't elected to cab it there and couldn't enjoy an after dinner drink or Spanish Coffee. Truly, one of the best meals we have had in a long while. Chef Rosemary attended our table and we heaped praise on her. A jewel in a small Georgian Bay town worth experiencing. I highly recommend it and a return visit is imminent. Bravo David et Rosemary, Merci!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Norman M

Carling Township RR 1 Nobel ON CA
“First Class in Every Way”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We not only appreciated the meal, but also the atmosphere, presentation and quiet attentiveness of the staff and owner Dave Brunelle. As a person with a hearing deficit, it is sometimes difficult for me to have a quiet conversation with my wife in some restaurants. A welcome difference at Le Maitre D' is that the music, whether it's live entertainment or not, did not overwhelm our ability to speak with one another. Combine that with a wonderful meal and it made for a very relaxing and enjoyable evening. We understand this is a newer restaurant in Penetanguishene. It certainly sets a high standard for others to follow.
Paddler14

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Paddler14
Cambridge Ontario
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DELIGHTFUL”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Pre-booked our appt without ever attending or hearing about this restaurant. To our delight we were greeted, seated, and served in the most professional manner. Very reasonable cost and excellent tasting food. We all enjoyed our experience at Le Maitre D and will go there again next time we go to visit our parents who live in penetang

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Karen S
Toronto, Canada
“Fine Food, Fine Service, Good Value”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

All the elements that matter to us when we go out to dinner came together at Maitre D'. Tables are well spaced, and a table for three was set for three…no empty chair. We were able to chat comfortably. The Maitre D' was most welcoming and our server was charming and attentive. The wine by the glass, excellent and generous. And we were all delighted with our meals. As everyone in our party loves to cook, we enjoy menu selections that are not standard home fare. And we each found a French Canadian entree that pleased. All for a very fair price.'

We understand that this restaurant is fairly new, and we wish them all the best. They are a most welcome addition to the area.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Barbara P
Dave B, Owner at Le Maitre D', responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you very much for the positive comments. We work hard to offer good food and friendly, efficient service, and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I have passed your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful dinner”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went to this restaurant for my birthday/Valentine dinner on Sat. The food was amazing, wonderful fresh salad, great lobster stuffed avocado and a perfectly done steak, just what I was craving. Best of all was the Red Velvet Mousse Cake. I didn't think I could eat the generous piece but I did. I would love to have the recipe as it was so tasty but light. I would like to go back tonight just to have dessert!
We have been to this restaurant a few times now and it never disappoints, great service, great atmosphere and great food. Can't wait to go back again.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank CatCZ
Dave B, Manager at Le Maitre D', responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you so much!! I am so pleased you enjoyed your special evening at Le Maitre D restaurant.