“It's all about the buffet”

At The Crossroads Family Restaurant Ltd.
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Elmira
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: A family restaurant in the heart of Ontario’s Mennonite country. Featuring homestyle cooking done on the premises. We offer regular menu dining plus daily buffets which include, soups, breads, salads, hot items, and our dessert table. WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE, bus parking & group rates available. Courteous, friendly staff serving you in a clean and smoke free environment. 5000 sq. ft. gift shop on site makes us a destination not simply a place to dine. Central for shopping, theatre, garden, or cultural/heritage tours.
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went with friends to this restaurant we'd probably not been at for 10 years. It's quite changed from the past, and once you get past the craft shop that varies from kitsch to interesting, you get to the restaurant. Although there are menu options, everyone seems to go for the buffet. Our party was all seniors, so the evening buffet worked out to about $17 plus taxes and drinks (no alcohol). The cost includes soup, salad, mains and dessert. We were in a side room, which was nice because it made the place seem less massive. We were generally pleased with the variety of food options available (there must have been six meat options), but the quality varied a bit. My mashed potatoes were good, but the ham was dry. The sausage was OK, but not really top drawer Waterloo County sausage. The dressing was good, as was the cherry cobbler. The salad options were also great, and generally tasty. I suspect it won't be another ten years before we go again.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Normally I take my family each Easter and Thanksgiving times, but last Thanksgiving the food was reduced, though price was same. Going again next Friday to check lunch, then make a decision if I and my family of 8 will return anymore. Convenience, was the varied types of food, now it is deminished

2  Thank Unbended
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visited on the Friday of the Thanksgiving weekend. Because it was not very busy, they had placed lids on every item on the buffet. I watched as a customer took a lid off of the stuffing and placed it on top of a dish that was labelled gluten free. I watched other customers do the same so I pointed this out to our server. I was promptly told that if I had an allergy, I should not be eating from the buffet but only menu Items that they could accomodate. I explained that I had eaten from the buffet in the past with no problem but I had never seen lids on the food and they were what was causing the problem. Our server very rudely repeated that they tell all of their customers with a gluten allergy not to eat from the buffet. I asked why were these dishes labelled gluten free then? We would not have gone to this restaurant if I had known if I would have to eat salad or an omelet. I can go anywhere for that. Also the omelet was probably the worst one I have ever had and I had to wait 25 minutes for it. Our server sent the manager over who explained that they don't use the lids unless they are not very busy and that they never tell customers not to eat from the buffet. He also said that they only guarantee the food to be gluten free in the kitchen so I asked then whey they are labelled gluten free on the buffet. They either are or they are not. I never did get a satisfactory explanation and did not appreciate the attitude or being treated like I was being a problem. They should not be advertising gluten free items on the buffet and then tell you they are not but label them that they are. Very confused and will not be going back!!!

7  Thank BiffSr
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good family style cooking . Even has sugar free deserts . Just like eating at Grandma's. We will take the long way just to stop for lunch at the Crossroads .

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The buffet here is a real Mennonite Buffet and has a large amount of different food. The sausage is great and they had turkey, beef, ham etc. Lots of excellent desserts. Great food,great service and all at a very reasonable price. If you are in the St Jacobs area drive the extra mile to this buffet rather than Stonecrock.