“Wonderful stay in the lap of nature.”

and 1 more site!
Kodianthara Heritage Home
Kolkata
“Wonderful stay in the lap of nature.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Spent 2 wonderful days with Crispin and family at Kodianthara on 20th and 21st Mar, 2014. Kodianthara isa a lovely and traditional Kerala bungalow enclosed in a rubber plantation, run by Mr. Crispin. The hospitality at this Home stay was very warm, and food cooked by Mrs. Crispin tasted great and lip smacking. My sons played a lot with their dachshund, Tipu, who is nice and quiet.
Thank you for your warmth, the lovely canoe ride, and the houseboat stay. Also a very special thanks from us for taking care of our first, but definitely, not the last visit to Kerala!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarkar_Anirban

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at Kodianthara Home for 3 nights in early march'14. It was a most memorable experience which we will always cherish. I was travelling with 2 senior citizens and we were very well looked after. The property itself is so charming and serene that you enjoy total bliss there. The house is so traditional and you can actually experience the old world charm. Mr Crispin and his wife Soni were great hosts and treated us like their family. Would highly recommend this place .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kavita R
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Staying here gives me a great experience on “Calmness” with the sounds of great Indian birds, with the delightful hospitality of Mr.Crispin & his Family (Creator of this Place).
We team of five friends hanged up there for 2 Days which was filled with fun & unforgettable memories…

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Saravanakumar1
Madurai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Me and 9 of my friends from my Rotary Club, Rotary Club of Madurai North made a two day trip to kottayam. Spent the 1st night at the Kodianthara house boat and the second night at the Kodianthara heritage house. When my friend booked this place, the only thing I knew was that, its a 160 year old house. Being an avid photographer, I was eagerly waiting to get here.

When our van was stopped half a KM from the home as the road was being repaired, Mr.Crispin, our host took away our luggage and we had to walk through the greens and canals to Kodianthara. I started loving the atmosphere already as we walked towards Kodianthara. It was like going inside a rain forest with tall rubber tress and fruit trees all along the sides. When we reached the entrance of the house we were awe struck with the ambiance the house is set in. We sat in the verandah appreciating the high wooden roof works and the meticulously crafted wood work all around. Mrs.Crispin greeted us and we walked inside the house. I was totally amazed at the way this 160 year old house is still maintained. The traditional kerala style woodwork and handicrafts that decors every nuke and corner of the place is beautiful.

After settling down, Mr.Crispin showed us around the house, the original part of the house and how it was restored to the present condition. He was explaining and I could see the passion he has for this place. He should have explained the history and importance of this place and about his family and ancestors to hundreds of people before, but I felt like as if it was the first time he is explaining to his first guest. He was so enthusiastic and involved taking us around the place and showing it with a broad smile on his face.

I'm still amazed how Mr & Mrs Crispin just with a couple of domestic helps maintain such a huge place so clean and neat! In all the two days we stayed there, nowhere i could see any dust or spider webs around. This shows how much care they take in cleaning and maintaining the place. Only in big star hotels you could see such cleanliness. Mrs.Crispin herself gets involved in the kitchen making food for us and even graciously accepted to serve some special requirements I had due to my food diet. Only the owners true involvement could give you true fulfillment in staying at a home stay place.

With so much of trees and greeneries around, I never saw any insects or bugs inside the house. I think they would take extra care to keep the place free from bugs and pests. Their two domestic helps were awesome too. With a smiling face they kept serving us.

Our rooms were so neat and bathrooms were so clean and well maintained. If you stay here, dont miss walking around the rubber trees and the neighboring small village like places. You will meet native kerala people and get to know their simple lives and uncomplicated life style.

I still cherish every moment i stayed here and sure I will make several trips to this fantastic place with my family and friends not only for the heritage and historical value but for Mr & Mrs Crispin's impeccable hospitality and passion they have in treating guests.

When we left, Mr.Crispin came up till our van parked inside the big Church nearby and with the same big smile on his face I saw when he greeted us the previous day, he waved us off.... and we sweared to come back again with our families next time!

Room Tip: Stay inside the main house. There is also an annexe that was later added.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Saravanaraj
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Enjoyed homely atmosphere. Been there with my big family including kids and elders.
I felt as a guest only till i enter the property, the moment I met Mr.Crispin everything changed. I have become his friend forever and the way he and his family taken care of us made me to refer many of my friends to this awesome place.
Being a nature lover and a photographer, i loved every angle of this place. Be it the antique design or the veranda with big wooden roof or the big garden for a morning walk.
I personally enjoyed bird watching every morning and spotted some birds including Racket tailed drongo, white cheeked barbets, Treepies, Asian koel, Spotted owlets, etc..
One photograph taken inside this place has bagged me a Bird-Photography award also. Refer the pic attached.
As a whole, a never to be missed place especially if your are on a family trip.

Room Tip: Plan for a boat-house stay coupled with your resort stay, owned by the same person. Don't miss...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Munish R
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Staying at Kodianthara was a wonderful experience. The drive to the place was a bit of a surprise, the backwaters, narrow mud paths, and what have you. The property itself is wonderful with huge gardens, two lovely little Dachshunds who mind their own business but are super cute, and of course the wonderful and welcoming family of Mr. Crispin.
We really stopped believing that this was a paid home stay and felt more like we were staying with relatives. They make you feel so at home with everything! The food (home style kerala cuisine) was superb. I really can't focus on aspects like 'service' or 'facilities' and the run of the mill hotel review topics because at the end of our stay, we were upset to leave and had such a great experience with them! Singing, dancing, eating, drinking, sight-seeing, it was all there. The place is superbly serene and secluded enough to make you forget all your city worries. A great little retreat if you ask me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RJ_Matthew
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We came in for a surprise after travelling thru narrow allys of kumarakom. The host Mr Crispin was very hospitable and kind. We got the warmth as if I am coming to my friends house.
The property was thoroughly explained by Mr Crispin. Kids had their own way ans played with two dogs, Atni the puppy and Tipu. Although the garden needs a little makeover, the ambience was just amazing. Village setting with lots of plantation. A breather from city hustles...
Thanks to Mr Crispin.