“Excellent Option for Kumarakom”

Illikkalam Lakeside Cottages
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
Bengaluru, India
“Excellent Option for Kumarakom”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is an excellent option for those who want to make the most of their trip to Kumarakom. With the waters of Vembanad lake literally at your foot, there is no better place to experience the charm of Kumarakom. The strategically positioned cottages and the close attention of the owners makes for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This resort is fantastic! The view is beautiful,food is great, and the grounds have many activities (honey bees, games, gardens, etc.). The staff is very friendly. Order coffee and drink it in the morning while watching the boats cruise by then lounge in the hammock. I highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Location of this place is excellent as the backwaters are within a few feet of your cottage verandah. Don't expect anything beyond that. Few girls managing the day to day operations are very helpful and courteous but most of other staff members are pretty untrained.

Management is a bit unprofessional, I had some issues of getting charged for an extra bed when I had already paid for that when I did my booking through MakeMyTrip. The owner insisted on charging extra for the second room in the cottage otherwise she would put a mattress on the floor - well the room is too small for that... Anyways I agreed to pay extra to have a comfortable stay but when I went to make the payment, some absurd logic was given on how much of credit will I get for the extra bed that I had already paid for through MakeMyTrip... Mostly related to the tax computation. Then again I agreed to her logic, just to close the discussion and move on... Then came the most absurd... When I asked for my bill for this extra payment I was told by the owner that if you ask for a receipt rate will be higher.... Well all prior discussions had tax calculations as well but when I asked for my payment receipt, I get this googly! She said she will have to talk to the GM (?) and get back... Next day when I was checking out, I insisted on my receipt and the I got my hand written receipt.

Bottomline - if you are going to this place because of the attractive price and good location, be careful. With the extra that I paid, I would have probably got much better resorts.

Room Tip: Be careful and pay extra attention for what you have paid for. If you are with kids, standard room w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kush K
Quezon City,Metro Manila
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a comfortable accommodation at illikkalam lake side cottages during last week of December. Their local vegetarian food was very good, premises was clean, we never had gone out of the premises as most of the time we were in the open area, under the shades of the trees and in the hammock to have the excellent view of the lake. We enjoyed and had a very good holidaying for 3 days and the experience that we had will be with us for a long time. The owner and his wife Susan were helpful for us to have information of the property. We will certainly come back over here, if we visit Kerala again.

Room Tip: Any lake facing cottage
Ghaziabad, India
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Had the most wonderful experience staying in the Illikkalam lake resort cottage on my honeymoon trip to Kumarakom. The kind of warmth extended by the owner and the staff was just legendary. Privacy was very well taken care of by the staff. Me and my Wife were astonished by the view of the lake we got from the cottage. Rooms are very clean and nice. We had originally planned for just 2 days here, but ended up staying for 4 days. Awesome Experience in Illikkalam. Thank U guys. Planning to come every year here.

Room Tip: ask for lake facing ones....
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed at one of the lakeside cottages of Illikkalam for a couple of nights in the first week of December, Over all our stay was comfortable. We enjoyed their basic accommodation with the great experience of the nature. The night was also very relaxing and comfortable as we were just enjoying the nature and the sound of the waves of the lake at night, in their hammocks till midnight. This experience we never had in the past and the food was basically kerala food, which was all right.

Room Tip: Any lake facing cottages
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed December 12, 2012

we stayed at illikkalam lake resort for three days two nights..we are very much satisfied with the resort location nearby vembanad lake view cottage. i will come to this resort for the next season also. Best for budget stays. Houseboats, food and other facilities are attractive.
:-)

Room Tip: A/c deluxe cottage