“A Resort ideally suited for relaxation and Backwater experience”
Review of Backwater Ripples

Backwater Ripples
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed at this lovely resort with my wife during third week of November/2012. The booking was done through MakeMyTrip. Room tariff was around 8500 INR per night. We were given a lake view cottage. The room was spacious with all necessary facilities of a 4-star property. However Wi-fi or broadband internet connection was not available in the room. The bathroom was large and the shower portion of the bathroom was separated from the main bathroom with separate flooring which was quite nice. There was a separate door in the room from which you could access backside where a small lawn with view of Vembandu lake has been provided exclusively for the cottage. The view however was a bit spoiled due to accumulation of water hyacinth near the bank. In the evening we availed complementary 1-hour sunset cruise at Vembanadu lake which was wonderful. The resort provides Houseboat ride for 3hour/7hour/whole day with night halt for different rates. They also offer village cruise in their motor boat through narrow canals to have a glimpse of village life of local people. We availed this facility and really enjoyed the cruise. The resort has a large multicuisine restaurant. The food was good though a bit costly. During winter occasionally barbecue dinner is arranged at the lakefront lawn near the swimming pool with full view of the Vembanadu lake. The resort has been covered with avenue plants, shrubs and beautification plants which has immensely enhanced natural beauty of the place. We walked in the morning and evening hours around the resort and a sense of calmness and solitude descended on us. Overall an ideal place to relax and enjoy backwater cruise,

Room Tip: Take lake view room
2  Thank JT737
Backwater R, Guest Relations Manager at Backwater Ripples, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and the detailed review.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the ambiance , food and other services at the resort and your good words are really encouraging and will be a motivation for all of us.

Thank you so much and looking forward to welcome you back.

Best Regards,
Sherin Senislavose

Reviewed December 24, 2012

16 Sept 2011. The hotel was lovely, our room was a bungalow almost at the waters edge. Accommodation and staff were very good. Food and Service was good. The hotel had a boat on which they took guests on a short complementary trip around the lake just before sunset.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GDczuk
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had organised a family event for my parents Retirement and 60th Birthday in Backwater Ripples Resort on 30th November 2012. I arranged the entire event from Dubai with the F & B Head Bejoy over phone and mails. I didnt even have the slightest clue of how the resort looked like until and unless i visited the resort on 29th afternoon. Its heaven on earth...
Mr. Bejoy helped me with the arrangements and came up with various ideas to make it a memorable one. He is so dedicated to his work and took me around the resort, showed me the placed where my event would take place and explained how the entire set up would be on 30th November.
To my surprise, when i reached on 30th November the meeting place was arranged more than what I expected. The staff were so cooperative. The arrangement was neat and up to the mark with an executive style. Mr. Bejoy appointed speacial staff for the speaker settings and for various other things. The hall was decorated with red and white balloons and the enite set up was amazing. The guests were greeted and the welcome drink was served on time.
The lunch was arranged in the Lawn next to the lake. The arrangements were awesome. It was a buffet set up and the food was awesome. The guests really enjoyed every moment in the resort and the feedback from the guests were excellent. Bejoy arranged a good magician for the event and the guests really enjoyed the show. the hotel staffs were all so cooperative. Bejoy helped me with various games and was with the team from the begining till the end. After the event my family didnt feel like leaving the resort and we were so touched with the hospitality.
I would recommend everyone to visit the resort and arrange events. Do contact Mr. Bejoy as he is multi talented and has a professional touch in conducting events.

I would definitely conduct more events in Backwater Ripples Resort in the future.
Regards,
Sandeep & Family
Dubai

2  Thank Sandeep T
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Reception was a bit of a guess from the dock but found our way. Check in fairly straight forward, but informed wifi broken so no Internet. Shown to our rooms by a very surly young lady who only seemed to show any interest or indeed a smile when she asked where we were going next and realised it was the Maldives.

Room clean enough, with the exception of the bathroom, and has a room safe, some mosquitoes in the room but there is a plug in so fingers crossed. Feeling a bit bushed decided to have a bit of room service, after half a dozen times to no avail so tried reception who put me through first time. Then to the challenge of ordering, I think the phones do not work well as even spelling was difficult to be understood. So food was ok but much more standard fair than the keralan we had had so far.

Decided not to risk the Mosquitos and try for some knock down spray so took a walk out of the hotel. Walked for ten minutes each way and next to nothing in the way of shops, although pleasant view of rural life. Back to the room, Looking forward to a nice shower unfortunately best you can get is not quite cold rather than cold, but hey after that walk not such a bad thing.

Had a call from reception at 16:45 to let us know there was a complementary sunset cruise at 5 but we declined having only just got off the boat that morning.

Supper that evening was a buffet fair choice of foods, but again more North Indian with some European options rather than Keralan

After a good nights sleep, off for breakfast a fair selection available again

Tried the massage, stiffer the next morning than I was before so would not recommend

After a number of attempts at room service i found 309 better number to use

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RichardB191
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and found it ok!!!! The rooms were quite basic, the telephone didn`t work and no WiFi. The food was good but expensive. The hotel is out of the way with few facilities. The resort has no alcohol licence. Mosquitos were a real problem.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dopeydobie
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel as part of a guided tour of Kerala. The information states a "luxury hotel with designer facilities and personalised service"? This may have been true many many years ago, but it not the case now! This was the last hotel on our tour which had been none stop, on arrival we were provided with keys (by the less the friendly receptionist) to a substandard room, even by three star standards!

The bathroom - loose sink, taps that only provided tepid water, if requiring cold water it stopped working. The shower was hanging off its rails and again only ever tepid water, the toilet only flushed occasionally! Tiles on walls and to the floor were broken, somewhat concerning was that they didn't look like they had been cleaned at all....

Bedroom - 2 star at best, garden view, a view of two trees and very little else. Beds were very hard, Mosquitos were prolific and the hotel makes no attempt to spray for them?

Food - based on the other hotels we stayed at, I would say food was very average, although there was a reasonable selection.

Swimming Pool - didn't look safe, to add to this some guests were clearing their throats/noses and spitting in the water....

Massage - my husband had a massage and was in considerable pain from it for a couple of days afterwards, avoid!

All in all we felt very trapped at this hotel with nothing to do and no where to relax, we counted down hours until we could leave! Had our stay been any longer we would have moved hotels..

There appear to be some reasonable hotels in the area, suggest using one of those, or a houseboat!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Kyla64
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed in Backwater Ripples for 2 nights with my in-laws and had a good time. Rooms were clean, did not smell. We were 5 adults and 4 year old boy, stayed in garden view rooms, (as such a small garden with a slide, a swing and a go around for kids). Had carried my kids scooter and he enjoyed going around the resort on the same.
Things I like:
- location
- very well maintained resort
- ample space to sit and enjoy the lake view
- complimentary evening sunset boat ride everyday for all guests
- spa and Ayurveda center
- friendly staff

Things which could have been better:
- Check in, they declined my booking, even after both expedia and they had confirmed the same on the phone. Was a little shocker since I had made efforts to resolve this before I reached there. I had driven long distance to reach there to realize the issue. Though they later did accommodate us. (During my stay I saw couple of other guests at check in who had booked through other online websites having similar issues :) )
- Food: breakfast was good. Dinner options could have been more varied to include food that kids love. There were no pastas, pizzas or quick bites.
- No activities: Their site boasted of different water activities, none were available. Only a TT table and carom board.

Conclusion: 2 nights stay should be enough for a family :)

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are value for money. Though they are away from the lake and near staff quarters, I...