“Quiet getaway”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
Bengaluru, India
“Quiet getaway”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Excellent stay at the old styled keralan house in a village on the banks of minachhil river under able care of Mr Kurian. You will forget the outside world. Excellent arrangement for boat house by Mr Kurian. The back water experience in the boat house was out of the world where we had some great food. Excellent place to stay at kumarakom and quite cost effective also. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Me and my wife had been planning to visit this place from almost 6 months. Somehow couldn't make it.

Nevertheless, it was perfect for our first year wedding anniversary - couldn't have asked for more... Peaceful place - makes you feel close to nature.

The staff were nice and friendly. Hospitality was good. We being vegetarians were worried about the food - but it was good and we relished it!

Mr. Kurian is a friendly person and guided us about transportation, sight seeing, shopping, etc.

Unlike some money minded people, this is a place where you feel home away from home!

Room Tip: A/C rooms are must during March!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My 76 year old mother, my husband and our two kids (ages 5 and 7) stayed with Mr. Kurian in this easy going and authentic styled backwater riverfront home. We stayed in two rooms and although the accomodations were simple and the bathrooms more like boat bathrooms, everything was clean and neat. We had a problem with a leaky air conditioner and Mr. Kurian had a mechanic come to fix it immediately. The staff taught my children to fish and wee took a nice walk around the neighborhood and everyone was incredibly friendly. This is such a safe and comfortable feeling area! The food was made to order and very tasty. My children don't like spicy and they accomodated us! I also asked Mr. Kurian ahead of time to order a cake for my husband's birthday and it was there when we arrived. Incredible hospitality. The price was beyond reasonable and Mr. Kurian also arranged a very nice houseboat for us. We were spending the next day at a Lake hotel and the boat would drop us off. Very convenient. We took a terrific ride down the backwaters to reach the houseboat and that was one of our most favorite part of the vacation. Birds and a real chance to see river life in action. And then when we weren't ready to get off the boat when they would drop us off, Mr. Kurian arranged a taxi for us at no extra charge to get us to our destination. I would highly recommend this homestay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the veranda are nice and have a good view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I booked the Backwater Retreat in error as I thought it was a houseboat! It turned out to be one of the nicest stays on a month long holiday in India. The hotel is small with a wonderful veranda overlooking the river. Meals can be cooked to order. The staff were exceptionally attentive. To see the Backwaters, the hotel arranged a private boat departing from the grounds which was very good value. Overall the stay, including meals, represented excellent value and in the end far cheaper than a houseboat would have been! On another day we ambled the back roads to the site of a shrine dedicated to the first Indian female saint, Alphonsa. Interesting, given the surprisingly relative high proportion of Christians in Kerala. Having experienced the sights, smells and sounds of the area for three days (having previously only attempted to imagine them from a book) it made me go back and re-read Arundathi Roy's 1997 Booker Prize winning novel, 'the God of Small Things' which was set in the area. I got so much more out of it second time round. On a final note, I would commend the owner, Kurian, for his exemplary professionalism and help. At the out set there was an error with our booking, another of my mistakes, which he rectified flawlessly. In addition, I found him to be exceptionally honest and transparent in all matters. We would stay here again in a heart beat and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room to the rear overlooking the water.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Belgrove
Guwahati, India
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Hi, this is neelim.I stayed at kumarakoan theme house for one night and we did had a relaxed and pleasant experience.the resort was away from the town and it had all the flavours of rural life, which I liked the most.Mr. kurian the owner was always around to make sure that everything was to our expectations ranging from room service, ethnic kerelian food to the most sought after backwater vovage.in short,I'll like to sum up my experience as awesome and unforgettable.would love to explore more of kerela in the coming years.

• Stayed March 2014
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 4, 2014

After going through great feedback from Mytripadvisor.com I decided to visit Backwater Retreat Theme house with my wife and 2 year old Kid in the 4th Weekend of Feb'2014. Before booking I had a talk with Mr.Kurian who helped me not only planning the trip,but also heled me during and after the Trip.

The rooms are spacious and air conditioning more than adequate. The staff are friendly, smiling and attentive and were responsive. The Owner,Mr. Kurian was personally present to ensure that everything was taken care of.He even dropped me to the local masjid as I had to attend my Friday's Prayer.The best thing is that he would personally remain in the resort from morning to evening and checked for feedback for the day.

The food was amazing.The boat 3 hours of boat ride was also fantastic.
The photo's shared through the websites also are authentic.

Room Tip: Just I thing to suggest, please take adequate e rest before going for a 3 hour boating Trip, if you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I am visited Kumarakom in August 2012. Its very good place to stay with nature. The rooms are neat and clean.. Atmosphere is very peaceful and surrounded by nature.. Mr. Kurian has given wonderful tips about Kerala its helped us lot in our trip...

Room Tip: All the rooms are Excellent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple