“A corner of heaven in 'God's own country'”

Kumarakom Lake Resort
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Kumarakom
Reviewed February 21, 2011

On entering the huge open plan reception/lounge area one gets the feeling of open space and clutter free concrete blocks. Refreshing towels and a coconut drink welcome followed by a quick check-in. We had arrived two hours early and management did their utmost to get our room ready for us. We took advantage of the wait to explore the hotel grounds (most trees are labelled) which are beautiful. The resort is on an island in Vembanad lake and the views are stunning - the occasional rice boat, a few fishermen, birds, the lake and its flora. Dotted in the gardens are benches, huge, traditional indian swings and hammocks to enjoy the sights and sounds of this place.
We were offered villa 144 (very secluded) - large, bright, tastefully decorated room in the rustic style - loved the heavy wooden door. Mind the step as you enter the bedroom/bathroom) Large, comfortable bed with comfy bedlinen. One window overlooked the lake and the terrace french doors led to the pool (which meanders alongside the villas). However, our villa was the last in line and the shape of the pool gave the impression of it being a private pool. The pool was very well maintained - cleaned and inspected several times a day. Sitting on the terrace was serene with a gentle breeze from the lake. The open air bathroom is equally large and it was heavenly to take a shower while listening to the birds.
The resort has 2 restaurants and a snack bar. Complimentary afternoon tea is served in the latter - by far the best chai I had in South India. Breakfast never failed to disappoint - huge choice of south indian and continental dishes. Again the masala tea made here is the best. We had dinner in the Vembanad seafood restaurant (book on arrival -tables are taken up very quickly). The restaurant manager is charming and knowledgeable. The meals were delicious (although a tad expensive) and sampling some Indian wine was a pleasant surprise. The mixed seafood starter tray was out of this world. Traditional keralan fish dishes are served on a banana leaf - quite an experience.
Local artisans (potters, weavers) hold workshop sessions for interested parties. There is a complimentary sunset cruise and cultural events (dance, music, martial arts) are staged each night at dinner time. The souvenir shop seemed reasonably priced. They had a brilliant CD collection of south indian classical music (instrumental).
We were delighted that the resort makes wash and meal facilities available to drivers at a reasonable cost - this does not seem to be practice in the majority of hotels in south India. Ou driver was one happy bunny during his stay here!
Our only complaint (which in no way marred our stay) was the safe in the room. We had to ask for help and the technical hitch was efficiently dealt with.
All staff from groundsmen to management were professional, efficient, welcoming and performed, in my opinion over and above the call of duty. Many thanks Jailisha (restaurant) Thank you to you all for making our stay magical and memorable. This is the place to marvel at nature's beauty and to completely destress...........

1  Thank zenu

Reviewed February 8, 2011

We (2 couples) stayed at Kumarakom Lake Resort and were treated like royalty by the staff and taken care of very well. The resort is located ideally and the facilities they have are excellent. We were on a three week tour of Gujarat and South India and our stay was the highlight of our tour. Their complimentary afternoon tea and South Indian snacks was amazing plus the Sunset Cruise (also complimentary) was awesome.

We would recommend this resort to everyone and it is truly a 5 star resort.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2011

When we stepped into restaurant, it was filled with foreigners. And as always we were almost invisible to waiters who were busy serving foreigners. We waited for 20 minutes, and then my wife had to walk to counter and ask for one.

Finally he came and took our order. I ordered bloody maria, as it was mentioned in menu as spicy cocktail based on vodka. There was no mention of tomato juice. Then it came, and I was disappointed to see tomato juice based cocktail. I again looked at menu to confirm whether I got right drink. I told waiter that there was some mistake. He redirected my request to head waiter, and he came and challenged us that this is what bloody maria should be. He also said that he can prove it by getting recipe directly from internet. I did agree to my ignorance but told that this was not mentioned clearly in menu. He agreed to change it, and took the drink back. However no one came to take order for a replacement drink, so it never arrived. Drink was not added to our bill, but I asked them to add it to our bill as it was pointed out to be my mistake. They were courteous enough not to add it to bill even after my request. But in my view, damage to their reputation was already done.

Our food order took its own sweet time to arrive. Food was presented beautifully - prawn curry was served in bowl made out of tender coconut. Food was equally delicious. The quality of food brought some smile back after disaster over my drink. We had ordered prawn curry + appam and prawn biryani. Both of them were excellent. Additional appam were served with too much delay. Probably our waiter forgot to communicate this to chef inside, hence the delay.

So food is excellent, limited to what we tried. But their service really need to improve a lot, to provide a quality experience.

They also serve buffet lunch in other restaurant which has lot of variety. So probably it is better to try that as you will serve yourself and not depend on waiter. It may sound costly, but our bill in Vembanad was almost equal to buffet lunch cost for two.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kshitiz_Saxena
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We didnt stay at the resort but judging by the service we received in the a la carte restaurant and reception, I'm glad we didnt. I was served a gin and tonic which had less than 30ml of gin in it, when I complained to the maitre, I was told I was in the wrong. His attitude was awful. When the waiter came to take our order, he was so quiet and shy, we couldnt understand what he was saying. Non of the serving staff seemed to know what they were doing, it was definitely not 5* or even 4* service. When our waiter brought the food, he twice walked past a free standing fan and twice the poppadoms flew off the plate, which was humerous but not something you would expect at this type of resort. The table next to us walked out, the table behind us complained as they had been waiting over and hour for their food even though the restaurant wasnt busy. On our way out, not one member of staff acknowledged us or said goodbye, I felt they were all very rude.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Renoooo
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is a really charming place in a great location and the meandering pool villas are unbeatable. The resort is rustic in nature but very comfortable with beautifully landscaped grounds. The spa offers traditional treatments rather than a posh spa experience. The resort is a pleasant alternative to a rice barge for those who want to experience the backwaters without wanting to spend the night on the water.

3  Thank Kitchenwolf
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I am a veteran traveler having stayed at many top tier hotels/resorts across the world.

Kumarakom Lake Resort (KLR) is a definitely good place to unwind. I was at KLR for 2 nights in a Meandering Pool Villa.

KLR staff is clearly a motivated lot. All the people I interacted with showed grace, care and respect. Service at the restaurant was prompt. Quality/taste of food is good. The lakeside tea joint and seafood speciality restaurant give a nice dining experience. Both are bang at the edge of Lake Vembanad.

The property is very well maintained, neat and clean. The rooms are well appointed, and the piece de resistance has to be the open bathroom (only the roof is missing). However, privacy is secured with tall walls. Toiletries & towels are adequately stocked.

The property is sprawling & green all over. It is situated at the edge of Lake Vembanad, which I was told covers 220 square kilometres. There is a complimentary sunset boat ride on the lake each evening. You can watch the sun go down while on the lake, and to live music played on the boat.

All in all, this is one place I will recommend without reservation...well almost.

Food is quite expensive, and it is advisable to visit this place on a package that includes all meals. A la carte, and paid buffet are overpriced, though the quality and variety of food on offer is commendable. There is no public transport worth mentioning, nor are there restaurants outside the resort. You have little choice but to shell out for the food at the resort. An average paid meal will cost Rs. 1500 for a person.

4  Thank John_Galt_X
Reviewed January 16, 2011

A diamond in Resorts ...exceptional in hospitality, look, feel,architecture and service.Though my review comes late due to commitments I give this resort 5 stars for making it a extremely memorable and relaxing stay.
We stayed at the Meandering Pool Villa which I can vouch is an experience in it self .it is private and clean and almost into the room.
The room was a beautiful treat in itself the wood feel was my favourite of all times ..the open air bathroom was a great experience too though one was apprehensive initially.
The good thing about KLR is that it's not that they donot make mistakes it's the way they sort them out which is great.
Kudos and thanks to the ever vigilant Hari at the restaurant Ettukettu,the Chef and his team for the Great food,specially the ones who taught me how to make Appam and Stew THANK YOU!the waiters Abhilash and his pals,Vishal at the front office who explained everything to us while checking in ,or the Housekeeping girls.The staff is very well trained in guest handling.The attention to detail is remarkable.
However some staff at the front office needs to be pulled up as they donot pay attention to what the guest say even if you tell them the same thing thrice as they are busy chatting amongst themselves, however that can be improved.
The Ayurveda centre and the massages are quite good although overpriced.Oh by the way the Infinity pool is great too!
We will be back certainly and wish the staff all the best...specially from my little daughter Myraa who was taken care off by one and all there..felyt like an extended family ...Hope to see you soon

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family