On entering the huge open plan reception/lounge area one gets the feeling of open space and clutter free concrete blocks. Refreshing towels and a coconut drink welcome followed by a quick check-in. We had arrived two hours early and management did their utmost to get our room ready for us. We took advantage of the wait to explore the hotel grounds (most trees are labelled) which are beautiful. The resort is on an island in Vembanad lake and the views are stunning - the occasional rice boat, a few fishermen, birds, the lake and its flora. Dotted in the gardens are benches, huge, traditional indian swings and hammocks to enjoy the sights and sounds of this place.
We were offered villa 144 (very secluded) - large, bright, tastefully decorated room in the rustic style - loved the heavy wooden door. Mind the step as you enter the bedroom/bathroom) Large, comfortable bed with comfy bedlinen. One window overlooked the lake and the terrace french doors led to the pool (which meanders alongside the villas). However, our villa was the last in line and the shape of the pool gave the impression of it being a private pool. The pool was very well maintained - cleaned and inspected several times a day. Sitting on the terrace was serene with a gentle breeze from the lake. The open air bathroom is equally large and it was heavenly to take a shower while listening to the birds.
The resort has 2 restaurants and a snack bar. Complimentary afternoon tea is served in the latter - by far the best chai I had in South India. Breakfast never failed to disappoint - huge choice of south indian and continental dishes. Again the masala tea made here is the best. We had dinner in the Vembanad seafood restaurant (book on arrival -tables are taken up very quickly). The restaurant manager is charming and knowledgeable. The meals were delicious (although a tad expensive) and sampling some Indian wine was a pleasant surprise. The mixed seafood starter tray was out of this world. Traditional keralan fish dishes are served on a banana leaf - quite an experience.
Local artisans (potters, weavers) hold workshop sessions for interested parties. There is a complimentary sunset cruise and cultural events (dance, music, martial arts) are staged each night at dinner time. The souvenir shop seemed reasonably priced. They had a brilliant CD collection of south indian classical music (instrumental).
We were delighted that the resort makes wash and meal facilities available to drivers at a reasonable cost - this does not seem to be practice in the majority of hotels in south India. Ou driver was one happy bunny during his stay here!
Our only complaint (which in no way marred our stay) was the safe in the room. We had to ask for help and the technical hitch was efficiently dealt with.
All staff from groundsmen to management were professional, efficient, welcoming and performed, in my opinion over and above the call of duty. Many thanks Jailisha (restaurant) Thank you to you all for making our stay magical and memorable. This is the place to marvel at nature's beauty and to completely destress...........
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala