KLR is a highly talked about resort and spends a lot on advertising. My wife and I had heard a lot about this resort and have been planning to come here for the last 2 years. Kerala is supposed to be wonderful during monsoons and we decided to take the trip in 2010. The rates during monsoon are cheaper and you get good deals at the hotel. However, you still pay a bomb to stay at this resort. Since, we heard and read a lot about the resort and were paying so much, we expected a lot but were disappointed when we reached here. Don't get me wrong, the resort is very beautiful but the expectations were so high that we were disappointed. We stayed at the private pool villa and the rooms were done up well in old Kerala style. The rooms are really small though. Even the private pool with jacuzzi is really small. The meandering pool villa is the highlight of the hotel and on hindsight, we should have stayed there. The buffet spread is huge but other than the traditional Kerala dishes, none of the other dishes are worth a mention. The staff is really nice and helpful. The property is not as huge as you think while visiting their website. Mosquitoes and insects are a big problem at night. The spa is a disappointment. The view from the resort is fantastic with the resort being at the edge of the lake. Fishing, pottery, free tea and snacks in the evening, free sunset cruises everyday are a big plus. The gym is again a disappointment. Nothing much to do otherwise at the resort.
We went to Zuri resort nearby for dinner on the second day and were bowled over by the same. We immediately checked out from KLR and checked in at Zuri. You can read my review for Zuri also. Surprisingly Zuri is cheaper than KLR even though it has much more to offer and a better resort.
For the amount of money you end up spending at this luxury resort, it is quite a let down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelsClick, TravelClick, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Jetsetter, Hotel.de, Reservation Counter, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala