I will echo what everyone else has said about this hotel. It is in a very beautiful setting and the grounds are well kept and clean. It is a good option if you want a slick, luxury type of hotel stay on the edge of Lake Vembanad. The rooms are cool, spacious and comfortable . Breakfast buffet is very good indeed, particularly the south Indian choices . The best part of the evening buffet are the amazing pickles, all made to local recipes. The pools are lovely and everything is very clean. Staff are friendly. We enjoyed the free sunset cruise, the delicious tea snacks and a magical early morning speedboat ride with Reni which was well worth the R2500 price.
Service was responsive and efficient.
We took the hotel bicycles for 3 consecutive mornings and had fantastic adventures exploring the backwaters by ourselves.
These are the pros.
As for the cons :
1. The lovely large jacuzzi in our pavillion room was stone cold and had no mechanism to heat the water . It thus was unusable.
2. Evening buffet was very expensive at R2200 per person
3. The a la carte restaurant food was expensive and inedible. Dreadful fish heated in a gloopy sauce was passed off as Meen Pollichattu.
4. We were conned into paying our final bill in UK pounds by not being given a choice. Beware being simply handed a terminal asking for a PIN and check the currency you are paying.
5. When they have an event it is very disrupting eg loud music until 11pm or one of the restaurants or the evening entertainment being dedicated to the event attenders only. This happened each night of our 4 night stay.
6. The spa is more ayuvardic medicine- centred than pampering type. Not our thing.
7. There is not a very good selection of local trips and taxi prices are eyewatering. Either have your own driver or do some research in advance. We opted for a local village experience canoe boat trip which we booked ourselves by phoning the number on one of the green signs outside the hotel building. It started at a boat dock less than 2 miles away and the hotel quoted us R800 each way for this journey. Even the hotel travel desk lady quoting this had to laugh. We easily hailed a tuk tuk outside for R50. This trip is organised by the local state tour agency, Responsible travel.
So, great luxury hotel and a safe choice. But be aware of the downsides and ideally have your own car and driver to make the best of the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, TravelClick, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala