I had been meaning to go to the KLR for a number of years now to see for myself if its just good PR or as stunning as its made out to be. I was not disappointed. its one of those places which has thought of everything. We booked in advance and got upgraded to the meandering pool villas. The villas were stunning. Both the open air bathroom and the villa itself leads into the pool. The kids spent most of their time in the pool - given that the pool is only 4 feet deep it was okay letting them be. We had noisy neighbours who played music really loudly but blissfully they were ticked off soon enough. It is a large property but because it is so well laid out it doesn't appear crowded although it was quite full. Ettukettu the multi-cuisine restaurant had the most elaborate buffet spread imaginable. The menu and the cooking was excellent - how they manage to have such an extensive spread and still not be repetitive is a miracle.
We stayed on the KLR houseboat for a night and it was an experience in itself. I'd heard a lot about how the backwaters aren't as magical as they're made out to be and that most boats ply in the same area so its all very crowded but my own experience was far from it. We had large expanses of emptiness on the lake - a peaceful and beautiful view of the sunset - unsuccessful but fun attempts at angling - food to die for again (an 11 course meal on a boat!) and a large deck with day beds to read and listen to music or simply vegetate.
The spa (though steeply priced) was surreal. I had a wonderfully invigorating massage and so did everyone else travelling with me.
KLR/ Kumarakom was perhaps my best holiday yet and my pictures will perhaps tell you why.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Travelocity, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala