I so want to give this a five star rating. The atmosphere and sheer beauty of the resort should be short of no lesser score. However, the drawbacks in the end were too many for me to be able to rate it five stars.
The trip was a long weekend stay with the family of four (two girls of 6 and 8) and we did the booking with the hotel directly over the phone and through email which worked fine and the sales person was very helpful and we ended up booking a heritage villa with a private pool including transfers and breakfast.
The problems started right as we arrived at the airport when the transfer that was reconfirmed just the day before wasn't there when we arrived so after calling the resort and waiting for 30 minutes they manage to get us in a cab that took us to the hotel. This is not why I pay twice the amount of a normal taxi to get airport transfers arranged by the hotel.
When we arrived the staff was very apologetic and gave us some snacks to eat in the room.
The other main problem is that unless you speak to one of the supervisors whether it comes to the restaurants or anything else you are likely to be disappointed because they are not trained to a five star level. Maybe some of it was due to the fact that the low season was just coming to an end but you still expect the best when you pay more than 300USD a night.
The pool area is small but nice. The pool is quite shallow but with small kids that is probably only an advantage. What was I pity though was that the pool bar / restaurant was in terrible shape and the service was absolutely horrendous. There was a small but quite alright menu to order from but it took ages to get and the glasses the drinks were served in were dirty. Again something you don't expect at a five star resort. When I asked why the service was so slow it got it explained that due to Kerala legislation they were not allowed to serve beer at the pool. Why have it there on the menu then?
In the end we had a nice stay. Not too much to do outside the resort, no restaurants or shopping unless you use a car but for pure relaxation it works well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kerala's leading resort by the side of famous Vembanadu lake, the largest backwaters of Kerala, located north of Kumarakom. An ideal backwater resort for honeymoon holidays, leisure holidays, family vacation, etc. All the villas are centrally air conditioned - There are 7 lake view heritage villa with plunge pools, 15 Heritage Garden view Villas with plunge pools, 26 meandering Pool Villas, 9 Luxury Pavillion Rooms with heated Jacuzzi, 2 Presidential Suite with private Pool and 4 Air conditioned House boats with 7 rooms. Air conditioned Conference hall with 85 Pax theatre style seating facility available. 100 seater restaurant with traditional Kerala architecture, 45 seater seafood restaurant with bar available. Kerala's traditional Ayurveda, Yoga, and backwater cruise facility available. The entire resort is Wi-Fi enabled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kumarakom Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kumarakom Lake Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Lake Resort Kerala