“It was a wonderful experianced.. enjoyed lot...”

and 1 more site!
Royal Riviera Hotel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“It was a wonderful experianced.. enjoyed lot...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Honestly i am saying before this trip we did not expect much.. we hoped same as other place , but our expectation was wrong. really we enjoyed too much. what we expect that all we got from royal rivera in a right way. good service, homely atmosphiere, good communications, good food,everything was excelent.. next time also me and my friends give to first prefrence to royal rivera.. thank you very much .. special congrats to G.M. Mr. Vinod.

See u agian,
saju zach,
Dubai

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mouse123456_13

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well sure enough this hotel has a regal enough name and when you enter the premises of the hotel, through the very imposing well guarded gate and its facade, you get the impression that you are in a for a good experience. But that’s where it ends! Everything after that was the beginning of a nightmarish experience. If you have a sense of humour, all I would say is that my experience was similar to a C grade horror film!
I was supposed to stay for 2 nights in the hotel. After a long and tiring journey back from Thekkady to Kumarkom, I reached the hotel at around 9.40 at night. Most hotels/resort are away from main Kumarkom district centre, however this place didn’t even have any location markers in the highway. Finally after crossing the hotel and travelling backwards for another 1 km, I managed to locate it. While checking in I was told that the restaurant would close at 10 p.m. and there would be no room service available after that! So I ordered for some food. Then another bolt from the blue! The hotel doesn’t have even have hot water except for 2 hours in the morning. Imagine a so called 3 star resort that doesn’t even have basic facilities. I requested for some hot water to be arranged as I was very tired and wanted to have a bath but the receptionist straight away refused stating the hotel doesn’t entertain such “special” requests. Finally after much pleading for more than half an hour and complaining to my travel agent, he agreed.
But this was only the beginning of things to come. I was shown in to a so called deluxe room that had worn out cushion covers, stained bedsheet and barest furniture. I do not know how much my travel agent agreed for the tariff in a package, but even considering that it was peak tourist season, the price of INR 5,500 exclusive of taxes per night was absolutely overpriced considering the room facilities and features. I had just settled in when I discovered that the quilt had hair and dust all over in the bedside table! I complained to the receptionist and he agreed to change the room. However even in the new room, insects had somehow managed to creep in because the balcony door was “accidently” left open!!! The next had a dirty wash basin and the next two rooms were in the same condition. Finally after looking through some 5 rooms, I resigned myself to fate and decided on a room. This time the AC in the room was not working! A technician was called in and finally at somewhere around 11.30, I was inside a room. But as luck would have it, there were creepy crawlies again. I called in at the reception to ask for help, but there was nobody on duty!
Finally I slept and when I woke up in the morning, I was itching all over with red rashes and swelling. I realised I had been bitten by bed bugs .My perfect vacation till now had gone horribly wrong!!!
I had to take meds so I needed breakfast. Well the breakfast was a huge disappointment as well with basic south Indian fare, oily puris and few slices of bread.
I had made up my mind that I just couldn’t stay for another night. After much frantic calls I asked my travel agent to change my hotel at any cost.
The hotel management had probably realised it. The hotel manager somehow came to see me in the room and apologised for the previous night, even offering me an upgrade. I didn’t budge and checked out.
The whole point is the HOTEL DID NOT HAVE AN IOTA OF MAINTENENCE AND HOUSEKEEPING WAS NON-EXISTANT!
I do not know how people have given such great reviews about pleasant stays in the hotel but a frugal traveller like me who has stayed in much better hotels in lesser prices; this was no less than a nightmare!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gitima D
Pune, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in double delux room. Room was nice and clean with two rooms and modern AC's. Room had small balconies. Food was tasty - ordered from room service. Good breakfast. Staff was also nice. Bad thing is it is not near to bird sanctury or place where you can get boat ride.

Room Tip: Negotiate on boat ride prices. I paid 1200 for two hours for personal boat (my driver had commission...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ritesh K
Trivandrum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

its a real impressive property with a multiple feeling of a hotel as well as a resort.the property has a wide frontage with a pond infront which offers the unique activity of pedal boating which is really enthusiastic...we enjoyed a good massage from their ayurvedic centre,.the room was facing the backwater canal with the view of some houseboats...the food was delicious and the service was quite satisfactory..

Room Tip: please choose the rooms facing the backwater
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jagan k
Aluva, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The hotel was having a wonderful scenic view with its own boating facility, swimming pool, park etc and the service was excellent. It's a good place for a quiet and peaceful stay away from town. It was a get together of 16 families from various places and all had only one say "no better choice at Kumarakom for a comfortable, peaceful and budget stay."

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor gives a great view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Friends870220
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

It's a good with needed amenities and rooms are well maintained. It is very calm, have vast empty place with swings, slopes for kids to enjoy and greenness for couple to take breath.Overall it's a good hotel. The only thing is they have solar water heater which will not fetch hot water when climate is cool. I complained to the hotel management, they immediately brought the hot water and they said they will install the electric water heater in all room as a stand by. Hope they will do.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Yuvi_The_Yuvaraj
Noida, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in Royal Riviera, Kumarakom on 12th March 2012. The hotel is located near Vembanad Lake in Kumarakom. They have two categories of rooms – Double Deluxe and Executive Suite. The hotel also states that it provides numerous facilities such as pedal boating in the lake in hotel compound, badminton, spa, swimming, Internet, etc. While this all looks quite promising, the reality is not that pretty.

We stayed in Double Deluxe room which was very disappointing. The room size was comparatively smaller than the standard hotel room size. Bathroom was unappealing with very ordinary fittings. There was no facility of making tea/coffee in the room either. On the plus side the décor of lobby was good with nice seatings.

Now coming to food. Since there were only two couples staying in the hotel (including us – yeah – boring!!), only Ala Carte was being served. There were very limited options for snacks however the food was good. We tried traditional Kerala cuisine as well as standard dosas and uttapams –all of them were pretty delicious. Service of the hotel is appreciable.

While the hotel had a swimming pool it was not clean. Internet facility was also available however it costed Rs 100 an hour. The biggest drawback among all is that this place is quite isolated and it can get pretty boring with no tourists around.

Overall Royal Riviera, Kumarakom is not a very preferable destination, specially in the off season.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple