“A wonderful homestay- true to its name”

Backwater Heritage Homestay
Ranked #1 of 14 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all, Sorry Mr. Xavier in being so late for the review!

All the accomodations of our Kerala trip ( in August) had been booked before hand expect for the 1 night stay at Kumarakom. Confused about whether to stay in a house boat or a resort/hotel, we had just scribbled a few contact details of the good places from tripadvisor. So at the last moment, just a day before reaching Kumarakom from Munnar, we called up Mr. Xavier to book a room in his homestay. And he agreed to keep the booking even without any advance! Not only that, as per our request , he also made a booking at one of the house boats for a 3 -hr cruise- all over a telephonic conversation!
We are a family with two kids- and this was our first experience at a homestay- and an excellent experience, I must say.
Reaching the place at Ayenamen village is a bit tricky, and we got full support from Mr. Xavier for the same. We were welcomed by refreshing coconut water. Such a nice traditional Keralite home- with a creek just in front of the property,surrounded by coconut trees, birds chirping- just perfect for experiencing the Kerala village life.
In the evenoing, Mr. Xavier accompanied us to our houseboat ( the jetty was around 8-10 kms from his place). The boat trip was very enjoyable , with friendly staff and added luxury of pakoras and tea even for a three hour trip. ( usually no food is served for short trips)
The dinner and breakfast cooked by Mrs. Xavier was a typical traditional affair with fish Moilee, appams to name a few. In the after-dinner chit-chat, Mr Xavier shared the album of his daughter's marriage.
My kids were amused to enjoy fishing with Mr. Xavier and they were over excited when they did actually got a catch.And my special thanks for taking us to the snake boat garage ( or hangar?
) and showing us a real one.....
Know what my favourite thing was in the entire property- the jhula bed in the verendah!!
My sincere thanks to the couple and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sanghamitra_B_Jayant

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Based on feedback from a friend, i decided to stay at Mr Xavier's homestay during my trip to Kumarakom with my family and my parents for 3 days. I had never stayed at a home stay before and had my concerns initially, but i was happy about my decision.

Mr Xavier and his wife are excellent hosts and you don't feel that you are staying away from home. They took excellent care of us and i was really impressed when he enquired with me before hand about the type of rice we prefer for lunch and the type of oil we would like our food to be prepared in, along with preference for any particular type of food. Mrs Xavier's meals are typical Keralite preparations and i would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try authentic Kerala food.

I was impressed with how Mr Xavier renovated his traditional Keralite house with modern amenities into a wonderful home stay and how he had done the landscape around his house. Again i would recommend staying here, if you want to experience staying at a traditional Keralite home. Most of the resorts in Kumarakom are on the Kottayam Kumarakom road but Mr Xavier's home stay is at Aymenam (if you have read Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things), which is little towards the interiors from Kottayam. Being away from the main town, the entire place has a calm and serene feel to it, and it was a very relaxing experience (can't express how beautiful the silence was, when sitting at his verandah). He arranged a canoe trip for us on our first day with him, which was a first time experience for me and I enjoyed it. I also had asked his assistance, in advance, for booking a house boat for an overnight stay (for my second day) and he arranged a very good houseboat with a very friendly crew at a reasonable price. The houseboat cruise on the Vembanad lake was beautiful and a very different experience from the canoe trip.

Mr. and Mrs. Xavier's personalised attention to their guests are extremely praiseworthy and you feel at home away from home. My parents were extremely happy with our decision to stay at Mr Xavier's home stay and my 4 year old daughter loved the experience. In case you have any concerns about reaching his home stay, have a word with Mr Xavier and he can help you with various options to reach his place from Kottayam. I would like to thank Mrs. and Mr. Xavier for their hospitality in making our first trip to Kumarakom a memorable one.

1  Thank Goldy A
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is the 3rd time am visiting Kumarakom & the House Boat, but this visit was my best one. This time i made a choice for Homestay accomadation. This experience was amazing. We had 2 older couples, my family & kids with us, Uncle Joseph Xavier's Hospitabilty was fantastic. Mrs Xavier is the excellent cook, very good authentic Keral food, hmm amazing, we stayed 3 days in home stay & 1 day in Babulu Boat House, which again was booked Mr Xavier. The food & the hospitality in house boat was unforgetfull.Thanks to Mr Xavier for his Hospitality. This is THE BEST HOMESTAY

Room Tip: I like the swing with the Bed
1  Thank JuliePrabhu
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My stay at backwater heritage was probably the most relaxing portion of my entire time traveling in India. Xavier, wasu and Xavier's wife did a wonderful job of hosting us and providing wonderful food. The canoe trip around the backwaters (with wasu at the helm) was a particular highlight.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was a amazing place, greenery all around, the place is located in a really beautiful piece of real estate, with beautiful trees and colourful plants, the rooms were good , and the host Mr. Joseph Xavier and his wife a very good host, helpful very co-operative. The food was excellent , every meal was a no less a treat.
My kids enjoyed it, relaxed place away from all the noise and hustle bustle of city life, just relax and enjoy in the lap of nature. The beautiful early morning sunshine, rain, fishing in the back water.... wonderful.. I would recommend this place to all I can.
Prabhu M
Bangalore, 16 oct 2013

Room Tip: Both the AC rooms are good. of course all the rooms have a good view, and the veranda is wonderful t...
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Visited Kumarakom with family during August and stayed at the boathosue (Kailasam). I booked the trip from UK through Mr. Xavier Joseph. From the first mail, the responsiveness was excellent. Xavier kept in touch throughout until we reached the boathouse. All our requirements (e.g. Vegetarian food) were taken care of as promised. The rooms were very good and everything was as promised by Mr. Xavier. the staff on board were excellent too giving you the space required to enjoy the trip and not interefering.
All in all it was an excellent trip and I would highly recommend staying at Heritage Homestay boathouse.
Thanks Mr. Xavier for making this trip very memorable.

Swaminathan Gandhi - UK

Room Tip: If you are travelling from Coimbatore, avoid the roads and take the train. The roads (NH47 especiall...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were planned a Kerala trip for the first half of the September with 2 days stay here at kumarakom. Once reached here, felt really awesome :-) Our whole family with members of all ages could comfort and relax here.. We all enjoyed the essence of nature with the real "homely" touch and the treat of the hosts Mr. & Mrs. Xavier uncle and family, which we found nowhere else... Thank you for the special Kerala style food. Also thanks for letting us know much about the 'God's own country'. We exended our stay there for 2 more days which was a good decision.:-) And I suggest all the Kerala visitors to stay here at least once... Don't miss it ... :-)

• Stayed: September 2013