“Best homestay”

Ranked #1 of 14 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Kochi (Cochin), India
“Best homestay”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Its a best place to stay with family or friends..
Very safe cottage for family Stay. Also food can rated as Top Class , served with hospitality.
feel like home... you have all facilities needed.. rooms are neat n clean ..
Everything, right from ambiance, location, surrounding, view, food, service was PERFECT...
enjoyed the real Kerala food

and the host is also very friendly to us..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sethu_Manuel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Kannur, Kerala, India
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Thanks Mr Xavier for the wonderful experience. I have stayed in this place with my family for two days.

I have explored the beauty of backwaters from this place. Xavier arranged a covering boat to kumarakom, which covered all the local places and the bird sanctuary.

The food prepared by xavier's wife was just awesome. We all enjoyed a lot in this place.

I will recommend this place to every one, who like to visit the beauty of Kumarakom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vaisakh1234
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Its my pleasure to say that Backwater Heritage Homestay is the best place for those who are planning to spent their vacation in Kumarakom. I spent three days here with my friends from Banglore and it was one of the best times in my life. I booked this place through internet as their reviews were very good especially their homely atmosphere. And the reviews spoke when we reached there. Mr Xavier and his family took care of everything and everyone. He arranged covering boat for us and took us to the bird sanctuary and backwater lakes there. Overall our trip was great and worthy. Thanks a lot to Mr Xavier and his family.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Being to Kumarakom with my 4 year old was definitely an experience that I would never regret in my life. Especially Backwater Heritage Homestay! The most wonderful experience there is the hospitality of the Hosts there. They are so committed to providing excellent home experience and parallel to that, leaving the visitors enthralled with their traditional Home and hospitality style. The food is just amazing. I would say , in other words, the taste just remains on my taste buds. I was proud of my choice. Mr. and Mrs Xavier are wonderful Hosts. The room facing backwaters was perfect and just completed my trip with a broad smile. Mr. Xavier took care of everything we needed including transportation to bus station. And that is why.. Iam visiting him again ... this Summer with my parents and brother's family so they can have an amazing experience too. :)))

Room Tip: A/C rooms could be better if travelling between April and June as it going to be humid. Or else non...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bhavaadi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at this home stay coming in from munnar in March during the term break of my 6 year old daughter. We had booked this with Mr. Xavier in January and though we discussed an advance payment he told me we could pay on arrival. I was a bit apprehensive that he might not hold the booking without a monetary commitment but after having met Mr. Xavier and gotten to know him a bit i would say these were totally unfounded. In fact at the end of the stay when we settled our dues it turned out i owed him Rs. 2000/- the result of my not being sure of the exact rate we had agreed upon and i told him i would check our correspondence and pay him the difference if it it turned out he was correct. I must say he was most accommodating. Not the attitude of a man driven solely by profit. At no time did he seem like a man looking to make an extra buck. He arranged a canoe trip down the backwaters where we saw duck being herded by a boatman. Commuting was made easy as Mr. Joseph arranged a taxi to the wharf and to Ernakulam when we left for the last leg of our trip. All prompt service and at standard taxi rates.

Kumarakom is a leisure experience,The weather was quite warm but we got a shower or two which helped keep the mercury low. There is not a whole lot to do at kumarakom but we went to the bird sanctuary which really was not worth it , we saw more birds and a greater variety on the way. The drift wood museum is quite interesting actually. And costs practically nothing - some Rs. 50 per person if i remember correctly. Its a museum of carved drift wood which have been thrown out after hundreds of years from the sea bed during minor tsunamis in the andamans, They have to be retrieved within hours of the tsunami before being dragged back into the sea. The wood itself is almost in a semi - metallic state making carving a difficult task so unless the wood is not already pretty close to the artists vision it would be unlikely rendering. The artist incidentally owns the museum and guides the visitors through her exibits. Some exhibits are obvious but some need guided viewing to the artists imagination. We checked out the houseboats and figured it was fine for a couple but a day in it would have parents of small children tearing their hair out not to speak of the ordeal the kid would be subject to couped up in one all day. We were vindicated by the experience of another wonderful couple we met at the home stay.They complained that it was absurd to have paid Rs. 7000/- only to be docked by the bay all night. They had to quarrel with the fellows to take them out to the middle of the lake which finally was managed but as soon as it looked like raining the boatsmen refused to go ahead and turned back. Mercifully we took the better option, that of a one hour ride around the lake in a long boat seated on deck chairs shaded under a thatched roof as we took in the abundant fauna resident on the lake.Mr Xavier also took us around to a neighbour's who runs a slipper factory and a fish farm. A learning experience for my little one

The home stay itself was clean , basic and simple and if one is not too fussy about luxuries considering it is a home stay and not a hotel, quite enjoyable. I would recommend the room at the end looking over the canal. The property was fairly well kept. As hosts Mr. Xavier and his wife who manages the food did their utmost to make our stay a memorable one. The food was kerala home cooked food and most of what was served was good. Only the food on the last day was probably recycled. But i can't be too sure of that. I think the lady of the house was a trifle under the weather that day so i will make an allowance for that. The couple even took us to church for the Sunday mass. Wonderful people really.They even packed a jackfruit for us on our way back.I cannot honestly find any thing at all to crib about.All in all a thoroughly worthwhile stay and pleasurable experience.

Ajoy d'Souza

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ajoydsouza
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The property,the courtesy,the moments all adds up to an amazing experience for the vacay.
As with other homestays,the experience is more of playing Hosts and Guests. And Mr.Xavier,his wife and his team did pretty well to maintain it at a good level.
He did give out lotta information on places around,would come around to have a brief chat once in a while,so it's pretty nice that way.
We were around for 3 nights,and and the times spent in his property was wonderful.the climate was good,the food was good.He would arrange for mosquito repellents when asked for.And would ensure to ask our preferences before the meal is being cooked.
The rooms are comfortable.The bathrooms were clean.There were no curtains on the room windows.
The gardens,lawns and porches were well kept.A swing was broken and a hammock was out.
Canoeing would be arranged at an extra cost.(Rs.400/-).
We did the houseboat,to and fro travel through him.So this was all decided and agreed upon.He dropped to the jetty and the pick up was also taken care of.

Just so that you know,there is this museum that's a part of the attraction.It's called floating woods or something like that.Give it a miss,not worth the money and the time.

I was a little displeased during the start of the trip.I had called him before we started to the agreed pick up location and he didn't quite remember having had this booking !! I was a bit taken aback,since we had everything confirmed and stuff.Inspite of the the entire package involving the pick-ups,drops,etc,there still lingered few misunderstandings,that I was not really happy about.
My pick up was paid from a farther location,but then,that changed and I came closer and less trouble for a pick up.Like wise,my ultimate drop was at a farther location and that also got decreased by the events of the trips.I had paid on that basis,but at the end of it,he asked me to shell out few more bucks,citing that the driver he had to arrange from outside and all that.
Honestly,it did not go down well with me.I could have stayed my ground,but then,did not want that to be a spoiler.
Things did work out ok,but then still,that is not how you would rate the entire experience.

Homestays are generally not very close to civilisations. So if you wana go around, have a car arranged or an autorickshaw engaged.Bcs,there is not much to do on a 10 min walk from these areas as they are located a bit inside.There is a good 20-30 mins drive to the jetty.If you are a part of a large group or something then it can get a bit monotonous since there ain't much activities that you can do staying within these areas.Go out to the city side and explore.

So again,nice place to stay,but if you are looking at a managed and well planned trip,then just be careful and clear.

And a big Thank You to Mr.Xavier and his wife for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: I don't remember the house no,,but take the one that faces the backwaters.You sometimes get to s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandy_Gates
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Travelling as a family in the first week of april. Lots of greenry , but the weather was a dampener. Mr Xavier and his wife were great hosts . On our arrival , chilled coconut water was served, followed by great mango shakes. Have to admit , it was one of the best tasting Mango shakes ever had. All this stuff , right from the orchards, and we did get an overdose of the the same...

Room we were alloted was spacious as we required an extra bed. Clean suff , and good breakfast.

Mr Xavier tells us that he is converting it to a resort by next year, so travellers looking for a typical homestay experience know what to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family