“A wonderful little place!”

Backwater Heritage Homestay
Ranked #1 of 16 Kumarakom B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I actually found this place through Tripadvisor, and decided on it based on the good reviews it had received. I can tell you that it lived up to every expectation and more.

Mr Joseph and his wife are great hosts, and go out of their way to make you as comfortable as possible. Mrs Joseph is an ace cook, and the Syrian Christian dishes she whips up are superb - real home-style stuff, and as much as you can eat.

The property is set away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world, and is an old ancestral home that's been converted into a home stay. The rooms are simple, spotlessly clean and comfortable, the garden is a lovely place to sit and have a coffee in and the river flowing right past the house is fantastic as well.

I had the good fortune of having the entire place to myself during my stay, and the misfortune of falling violently ill as well (it had nothing to do with the place or the food, I hasten to add). Mr Joseph could not possibly have been more helpful - he took me to the local hospital and stayed with me right through the few hours that I spent there seeing a doctor and being attended to.

I have no hesitation in highly recommending this place to anyone planning a trip to Kumarakom!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pchaterji

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Lovely no-frills cottage with abundant grounds, greens, canals, mango trees, banana trees, coconut groves, fish pond. In Aymanam village, 20 minutes drive from Kumarakom. Excellent home cooked meals and the family's rare breed of hospitality makes this a very special place. As the other reviewers have noted, Xavier Kutty can organize everything for you - cruise, massage, excursions - and even drives you to most places himself . But don't come here with the intention to ' do' things. Just sit still, enjoy the tranquility, watch the butterflies, paint, write poetry. A true gem.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank goodfood65
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We spent one night in this homestay, last week end with my parents. It is a quiet and peacefull place, in the middle of the Backwaters. The family is very welcoming, and cheerful. Food was great. The owner took us to the 50 meters boat of the village. It's been a great experience!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I spent one night here while en route to Kumily and could have happily spent longer. Great hospitality, excellent food and clean, comfortable rooms. Xavier can organise anything you want in terms of backwater excursions. I only had time for a short canoe ride but it was most enjoyable. I may well return again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

During our trip to Kerala we spent two nights at this place. We found it while surfing on the web and we were not disappointed by what we got there. The owner and his family are very hospitable and make your stay the best possible. He can also book a trip on a houseboat for you, recommend the best places for massage... And the food is really authentic home cooked food! The homestay is located in a remote area (not easy to find), alongside a canal, and it is very relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jcvaldelievre
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at Backwater Heritage Homestay for one night - and wished we could have stayed much more! The couple is very welcoming, and very generous with their guests. The food is absolutely great - home-cooked, authentic and in very, very generous portions. The location is right on the backwaters as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amit G
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I highly recommend Joseph Xavier's lush and comfortable homestay. I met lovely guests, enjoyed delicious food, and returned again with my son, after first traveling with a friend. The family is so gracious and helpful and the atmosphere so soothing. I only hope I have the chance to go back. The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable and as a host Joseph and his family are wonderful and will generously provide a memorable time. The location is absolutely lovely and one can walk around and see the local life. The highlight of our trip! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends