My husband and I stayed at Coconut Lagoon for one evening and thought it was the perfect soft landing after a peaceful houseboat trip on Kerala’s sleepy backwaters. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and our only regret is that we didn’t stay an extra night.
The property is primarily accessible by boat, making it convenient for our houseboat captain to drop us off at the perimeter of the well-kept and picturesque resort where we were immediately greeted by a staff member. From the time we arrived on the property to our departure, the staff was very attentive and did everything they could to make our stay pleasant and memorable. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was able to accommodate our very early morning check-in.
Our lovely duplex was located in a semi-detached cottage: the bathroom and small sitting area were on the lower level and bedroom loft was on the top floor. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and the outdoor shower was a nice touch (with the exception of mosquitoes at night).
We allotted extra time for meals as service was quite slow at both restaurants. We enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the main restaurant and appreciated the healthy and wide range of options, including fresh-squeezed juices and the pickle/chutney bar. We also enjoyed our dinner and the live music at the seafood restaurant and would suggest sitting under the thatched roof to avoid the bugs and having an early dinner to avoid a long wait.
Despite only being at Coconut Lagoon for a short time, we were able to enjoy many of the activities that the resort offered. We appreciated the number of free activities (and the reasonable cost for those with a fee) as well as how accessible the activities were to guests. The sunset cruise was well worth the time. The cooking demonstration, guided butterfly tour, and bird watching tours were enjoyable and informative. Sunrise yoga was relaxing, but not particularly vigorous since the class accommodated all levels. The gift shop offered reasonably-priced souvenirs and cookbooks. The pool was mostly enjoyable, but we noticed some adult guests grumbling about the number of noisy families with small children carrying on while in the pool (overall, we did not find this to be a problem on the rest of the property).
While we enjoyed most of the activities and amenities, there were a few disappointments. We found the Ayurvedic treatment at the spa disappointing and less than comfortable after getting a rushed consultation with the Ayurvedic doctor and witnessing some internal confusion between the staff. Also, the early morning martial arts exhibit was less than impressive and consisted of hotel staff doing morning warm-up exercises.
Whether you decide to relax on a waterfront hammock or fill your schedule with activities, Coconut Lagoon is a lovely and tranquil place to spend a few days while in Kerala. If you schedule smartly, you can take advantage of many of the activities during your stay, while still maintaining a relaxed pace. I would highly recommend a stay at this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An interplay of coconut groves and water channels, with old wooden Keralan homes transplanted, preserved and cherished. Coconut Lagoon is located in a sheltered and enchanting cove in Kumarakom, this resort reflects the diversity and magnificence of Vemband Lake. A CGH Earth experience that respects the rich but delicate ecosphere and the vibrant culture of Kuttanad region. Where old agrarian homes are reconstituted to offers you an entry into a charming world following the gentle pulse of the backwaters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Coconut Lagoon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Lagoon Hotel Kumarakom
- Coconut Lagoon Kumarakom, Kerala