“Couldn't have asked for more!”

Champion Holiday Village
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Beldibi
UK
“Couldn't have asked for more!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Booked a package holiday through Thomas Cook after reading reviews about this hotel and was cautiously optimistic.
We booked a taxi for the airport transfers as Thomas Cook was going to charge over £50 for their coach transfers which stop at a dozen other hotels and take forever. Private taxi booked online was 80 euro return. A little more expensive but quicker, more pleasant and you can choose your own timetable.
Anyway we arrived at the hotel shortly after 1am on Monday morning, were quickly checked in and taken to our room. I could've cried. The room was barely big enough to hold a small double bed and the 'balcony' was smaller than a shower cubicle. The next morning we asked reception to be moved and were told they were fully booked and come back tomorrow; we called the local Thomas Cook number and reported the problem, saw the rep that evening and was told we would be moved the next morning. Several trips to the reception later to check on progress, we were moved to our new room (room 627) on Tuesday afternoon. It was perfect- just like shown in other people’s photographs. Huge bed (2 small doubles together) was firm but comfortable, bathroom was twice the size and better finished and the full sized balcony overlooked the quiet no children allowed Silence Pool.

The hotel is more of a mini village or large complex. Each apartment block sits well apart in the forested grounds and the grounds themselves are immaculate. There are 3 pools, a pond with hammocks, 4 bars, 2 restaurants, and a mini theatre with shows every night and the hotels own private beach. When the sun got too much we would snorkel and watch the fish. There are also boats trips and activities available from the pier. Sometimes we would just wander about the beautiful grounds with beer or wine in hand and enjoy the views of the mountains in the background, or the sea to the front. It really was a perfect spot.

The staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful and there were a small army of them there to make your holiday perfect. When I sat in the bar with my head in my hands after losing my iPad, a young waitress came over to make sure I was ok! How sweet.
The week’s holiday was amazing. I couldn’t fault the room, the entire complex or the staff even if I wanted too. I would definitely return.

The only thing that marred the experience was on our final day. We checked out at 11am and were told we could use the showers and towels in the spa to clean up that evening (our flight wasn’t till 1am). But the staff there (apparently it’s operated independently of the hotel) wouldn’t let us use the facilities. I marched up to reception to complain, was told I couldn’t use the Spa. I then marched down to the guest relations manager who wasn’t in the office, marched back to spa to get my partner, marched back to the relations manager who eventually made the spa relent. At this point the spa was closing so we rushed in to shower and leave. A male member of staff opened the door 3 times (to hurry us along I presume) even when he saw that I (a female) was trying to get dressed. The final time he simply marched in. To say I was angry was an understatement, but we rushed to dress, grab our bags and go. In all this to-do, I left my iPad behind and only realised later when the Spa had shut. My partner spoke to the Relations manager when we returned home this morning, and it’s been located. I just have to get it shipped back. I hold the Spa staff (not hotel staff I stress) accountable for the loss due to their behaviour before and after the shower.
But the staff relations manager was incredibly helpful in trying to, and eventually resolving the matter. My thanks to him- he is a great asset to the hotel,

A few comments/handy hints:
• If you want sun throughout the day the best beds are either along the side of the main pool nearest the kid’s water slide, or along the top of the pool on the other side, up top of the few steps. Going mid-Sept meant that we were always able to get a lounger even with our late starts but if you want a lounger by the sea- get up reeeeeally early. We didn’t.
• Russians do get up early to book loungers amongst other things. If this is going to bother you or you go at a busier time, just accept this as a fact of life to reduce your stress levels. And set your alarm for at about 7am.
• Make sure you try the Gozleme made beside the bar nearest the sea- a lady makes them from 11-16.15 and you can get sweet or savoury. Tip the lady a few lira as it’s a hard job sitting in the heat all day frying pancakes.
• If you want to do a fair bit of sight-seeing I would consider hiring a car. There is so much to see and the drive along the coast is stunning. We didn’t but will next time. A trip to Termessos took 2 buses and a taxi. Bus from Beldibi to Antalya bus station, another bus from the station to the bottom of the 9km road to Termessos, and a taxi up the 9km road. We were told there were lots of taxis that would be waiting, but there wasn’t a sinner to be seen apart from an elderly woman shelling peanuts. A brief moment of panic was followed by a pantomime with the peanut lady who spoke no English and we no Turkish, which was followed by a larger moment of panic when no taxi arrived for another 15 mins and we wondered if we and the lady had been talking about the same thing. Taxi arrived and cost 50 lira return, not 16 lira as we noted on another site. Termessos itself was, for me, more enjoyable than other more developed sites- less people and very often shaded and cooler. There isn’t much info on site so if you enjoy actually knowing information and history about the ruins you are looking at- print from the internet and take with you. It’s not a difficult walk, but I would advise good enclosed shoes or trainers as there are a lot of loose stones underfoot that can make footing difficult. You are also walking on the carved rocks from the ruins which are smooth and can be slippy. If you are not the fittest or surest of foot, walk back down the way you came up as its easier than the return path. The walk can be done in well under 2 hours but allow yourself 3 so you can have lunch sitting in the Theatre and watch the world go by. The bus/taxi return journey took us 2 hours 40 mins and with buses not having air-con- it was hellish.
• We also did a tour with Thomas Cook which involved a boat ride to see sunken ruins, the church of Saint Nicholas (Santa Claus) and the ruins of Myra. The drive along the coast was stunning. The boat trip was a slow cruise out to the island, showing the sunken ruins along the way. Then we were promised an hour of swimming in the sea, but got about 20 mins before they raised anchor and took the direct route back to harbour (it took 5 mins and didn’t even give you enough time to dry off). So we felt somewhat cheated. Myra was lovely to look at but there are hoards of other tourists there too and walking about isn’t shaded- I think thats why I preferred Termessos with its cooler walk and less people. The church was nice but I could’ve lived without seeing it. From pick-up to drop off we were gone 10.5hours and about 6 hours of that was travelling on the coach. If I was to do it again I would use the hire car to fully appreciate the coastal drive, and see other things. Possibly do a longer boat trip along the stunning coast.

Final note- in my opinion this is a great spot for young families or anyone wanting a quiet relaxing holiday in a beautiful spot. If you are after foam parties, cheap shots and young people sprawled drunk in the streets then its not for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Weeble_Wobbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

we arrived in the early hours and were greeted by friendly staff who got us too our rooms as quickly as possile. The setting for the hotel was fantastic and the lay-out was very accessable. the manager was on hand every day to deal with any problems we had (not that we had any) the food was great, plenty of choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Ive read some bad reviews about this hotel and i can agree with some of the issues raised, but ONLY if you haven't had a good look around and found out all that is on offer! If i have to moan about anything then it would be the lack of facilities for baby changing, apart from that we had an amazing 2 week holiday and would definatley return for another stay. I find it very difficult to believe some of the comments made in the bad reviews, we couldn't find fault with anything realy and all i can say is that if you want english speaking and english food then HOLIDAY IN ENGLAND! the staff are very helpful and if you take the trouble to learn a few turkish and even german frases then you will get on fine! I'd like to commend the manager, he walks around all day, chatting to guests and keeping the staff on their toes, this all leads to a very well run hotel. Please make up your own minds about this hotel but take my advise and give it a go. If you do have any problems then tell the guest relations and they will sort it. Can't wait to visit again with my children!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aldershot, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was a wonderful holiday in every way - we were taken to our rooms immediately upon arriving at 4am, to spacious and a spotless room beautifully air conditioned. The staff are outstanding and friendly and nothing was too much trouble - This family run hotel was perfect in every way and the Operations Manager Birol made us feel like royalty during our stay. The food was excellent every day with so much to choose from, waiters were superb and really care that we were happy. We received clean towels and bedding in the room every day and the beach towel change worked great - freshly washed and being during the day meant we never missed it. The whole village was immaculately clean and well looked after and the pools were wonderful. We felt safe and at home as soon as we arrived. I would urge you as a family to go to Champion as there is relaxation on one hand and lots to do too. The animation team really look after the guests and we got to know you all - thank you we really didn’t want to come home after two weeks and could have easily stayed longer. The hotel is surrounded by a magnificent mountain and built around tall trees which adds to the beauty of the Champion Holiday Village - Gala night was top class - felt like we were at the royal wedding - 100% will go back without a doubt - so thank you Champion and all the staff you were amazing - our stay was 14/08/12 to 29/08/12 14 nights and there was no negatives throughout our 2 weeks. Sue & Char Terry

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor - we slept every night and the balcony gave us views of the wonderful...
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We arrived at 2 oclock in the morning too find that we had no room booked for us until the next day! . This was as a result of the hotel not booking us in on the right day. The staff at the reception decided it would be ok to leave us in the hotel lobby until our room became availabe at 2pm the next day. Well after three and a half hours of waiting and 6 phone calls to the Thomas Cook disaster line which the rep kept telling us it wasnt Thomas Cooks fault and it was the hotels responsibility to find us a room , we finaly reminded TC that is was there responsibility to find us a room!.
It would have been nice to have a Thomas Cook rep come down and sort it for us as the reception staff dont have good english , but she didnt answer the phone and the other said it wasnt her problem until i tould her about my consumer rights ..... wondered what i was paying for ?.
Thomas Cook finaly gave in a got us a room sorted for the night at another hotel. So after a death ride in a cab with near head on collision just to keep us awake we got to the replacment hotel where we all slept in one room !.
So we finaly got into our room at the Champion 12.30 the next day to be greated by soap scum over the sink and the mini bar "stocked" with 4 cup sized bottles of water.......Great !!!! .
We had a double room that was clean on the whole and would have been fine if the hot water tap hadnt sprung a leak during the night and turned the bathroom into our own private sauna. Being night time and with only five and a half hours sleep from the previous night we left it until morning to sort. It only took 7 hours to get the tap fixed from us informing the reception staff of the leak at 9 oclock in the morning......Great!!!!.
Finaly we got into the holiday , the pools are fine but to be sure of a sunbed your have to be up at 6.30 were your be joined by the mass of Germans making there way down to the pools / beach to reserve a sun bed they will never use ! . We did manage to find sunbeds on when we went to the pool / beach but you will have to pick your time to get one (ie : lunchtime! ).
The drinks are good and providing your served by the men your ok but the women waitress were miserable and able to forget how to make a drink when it suited them .
The food in the restaurant was ok but we just found it repetitive and not very exciting. Finding a table clean and with cutlery was a challange.The la carte restaurant as abit of a let down , again not anything that special but when the desert turned up in a foil tray it realy made it forgettable.
Your be heavily outnumbered by mainly Germans and the rest Russian which means your be going back to your room early as the Germans go to bed early to get the sunbeds and the place was dead at 11.30.
The evening entertainment outside was different every night , some worth watching ,some realy crap!! which will drive you back to the bar.
So with us having to see Thomas Cook Rep Stephanie ( because she didnt track us down to see how we were?) to find out what went wrong with my £1800 , 6 night holiday and to be offered the final insult of £127 compensation for not having a room , we left :).
The hotel manager made promises that he didnt back up to make up for the room not being available. He expected us to waste more of my holiday tracking him down too make him make good ! , we just gave up on that.
We think the hotel is " maybe " not that bad , things do go wrong but its just the little things that all added up and makes it an easy decision that its a place we would not go back too.
So just be aware that Thomas Cook dosnt take responsibility for its " package holidays " ??? so your have to ask why pay for a rep ???

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Neville B
Edgware
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was very concerned after reading some reviews about this hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised. On arriving we were greeted by a smiling receptionist and our cases were taken to our room by the porter. We had two rooms a large room for three beds and ours which was a double room. The rooms were spotlessly clean and I had no complaints. The hotel grounds are beautiful, there is a large grassed area with sunbeds , a volleyball court, table tennis tables. There is a small amusement arcade for the children and trampolines. The children pool is great with the clubs around the pool area. The large pool is great, it never felt too busy , although I did have to get up early each morning to get the sun beds. If you are reserving your beds remember to put something personal onto the beds otherwise people just take the towels belonging to the hotel. We sat in the relax pool a few times but no children are allowed and we also found it far too quiet. You can also use the spa swimming pool. The beach is shingles but the water is warm and calm (bring special beach shoes for the sea). The food in the restaurant is very nice sometimes a little monotonous but always tasty. The only problem with the restaurant is the waiter service and the tables, there were never enough cutlery laid out and it was hard to get the table cloth changed. Most of the women waitress were very miserable and seemed to hate their job but the male waiters were more friendly and willing to help and try and speak English. The entertainment team were fantastic ! They all worked extremely hard were very very friendly and encouraged everyone to join in without being too forceful. Anna, Marco, Mario and Francine were fab my little boy loved them ! The hotel was mainly German, Russian and a really nice small crowd of English. The hotel made a superb gala night which we enjoyed. The manager of the hotel is a very helpful gentleman who walks around checking all is ok. All in all we did not want to come home and had a really lovely holiday at the Champion Holiday , we have been to Turkey a couple of times before, we found this hotel not to be too large but it was just right for us .

Room Tip: We were in block 628 and found this to be excellent as it was near to the facilities. Higher floors...
5 Thank Eltonfamily
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have read previous reviews before and after our holiday to Champion Holiday Village. We travelled 29th July 2012 with a party of 13,( ages , 5,13,16,17,40 + 50) - we could find no fault with this holiday choice. This was our first visit to Champion and would definately return. Reading previous reviews regarding sunbeds i agree you do have to get up between 06.30 - 0700 to get specific spaces however there were always sunbeds available after 0800 - 0830 if you were not fussed were you were, this is no different to any other hotel. Even though we went during the school holidays we didnt have to queue at the bar, resturant, finding tables, toilets etc.the Food was excellent no complaints at all, great variety, always found a table to seat a large group. Waiters were fantastic and always helpful especially Hasan. The animation team worked so hard and long hours, always happy and smiling, they had limited resources and always tried their best. (you were fantastic), especially Mario,Laura, Anna,Savash, Francine. The evening entertainment was different every night with a mixture of outside entertainment and animation team which was always a good show. The accommadation was excellent rooms large and spacious, we had 2 family rooms and two twin rooms, we didnt experience any noise from other rooms.
One of the children had an accident and needed to seek medical assisstance, lifeguard assessed and recommened to see a doctor, he was seen by the on call doctor at the hotel within 10 mins of accident, needed hospital attention this was sorted by the doctor who arranged transport an treatment to and from hospital within 2 hours, excellent treatment. The Thomas Cook Rep Stephanie was on hand to assisst with all our questions and was always happy to help, ( THANKYOU). The bar staff were always smiling and happy to help, and always knew who was next to be served. the hotel grounds were lovely, always clean and tidy. All in all a fantastic holiday and would definately go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sarah K
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the good reviews. I thought I'd be writing an excellent review for this hotel, but now that I have visited it, I wasn't entirely happy with a few things and hence have only given it three stars.

This was our 3rd visit to Turkey (to the resorts served by Antalya airport). But out of the 3 all-inclusive hotels we have stayed in, this was the smallest and the least favourite. The main reason we had issues I think was due to the size.... because we can only go at the busiest time (ie, school summer holidays), this hotel was full and busy and because there were lots of children, most families wanted pool-side sunbeds. There was one main pool which most people who had children wanted to get sunbeds around, however there simply were not enough. It was a case of getting up at 6.30-7.00am and putting down your towels!!!! There was another smaller 'silence' pool, which wasn't as difficult to get the sunbeds, but even at times this got busy and there were no spare ones. You could go to the beach, where there were plenty of beds, but children need to be watched more closely and also we got stung by jellyfish one day, so not ideal.

There weren't as many amenities at this hotel compared with other larger ones. It's a family-run hotel, the manager floats about and is happy to discuss things with you. He makes himself accessible. I can't fault the staff. They were all fantastic and I can't say any more than that. The food was great. No quibbles at all. Great selection and all lovely. Spoilt for choice. Evening entertainment - a bit crap really. OK-ish. But some shows were done by the hotel's animation team and was not worth watching. The hotel grounds - lovely. Lots of pine trees and grassy areas, a pond and hammocks. There's one main path leading from the hotel's entrance, past reception and tennis courts, past all the accommodation blocks, and then to the spa, pool, shops, restaurant, and pool bar. Every day you walk past the spa and the spa staff are trying to get you to have a massage. It got a bit annoying, but we relented on our last day and it was a fantastic massage. You may be able to haggle a bit with the prices. Even though the spa has a swimming pool - you may be mistaken for thinking it is for the use of only those that use the spa's facilities, but you would be wrong. Anyone can use this little pool - but not the sunbeds around it. There is a small gymnasium you can go and use too.

The hotel has its own private little bit of beach, which is nice. So why have I only given it 3 stars? Well, apart from the sunbed situation, the accommodation blocks - the walls were thin. You could hear talking and the TV in neighbouring rooms. You could hear chairs being moved about above. Because of the lack of sunbeds, it caused other problems, like people stealing other people's sunbeds which led to arguments. There were lots of crying children, lots of people smoking - everywhere - so many people smoke!!! I really noticed it at this hotel for some reason. When my daughter cut her foot in the sea (which is quite stony and rocky), we couldn't find anyone who had a plaster!! We were told to see the doctor (expensive). Also, when we got stung by jellyfish, the hotel's lifeguard didn't have anything to put on the sting and told us to go to the doctor (?). We asked the neighbouring hotel's lifeguard who told us to put lemon juice on it. It just seemed a bit ridiculous that there wasn't this basic first-aid information available.

I really noticed that when we were at the bar waiting to get drinks, the bar staff didn't know who to serve first. They didn't keep an eye on who had been waiting the longest. If you were loud and demanding, you seemed to get served first. I challenged the manager with this (he saw me disgruntled one day) and he said it was a case of 'he who shouts loudest' gets served. I told him that in England the bar staff say 'who's next?', but it didn't do any good.

I think if you are a loud German, who smokes, had noisy bratty children (so used to the noise), is slightly deaf (due to the thin walls) and likes getting up early in the morning - you'll be fine here. If not, you may be disappointed if you go in the peak season. I'm sure this hotel is fine in off-peak times, but I won't be going again. I will go to a large hotel with lots of space and lots of sunbeds and more facilities.

Room Tip: There were no sea views at this hotel. Rooms are set back from the beach too far. I'd go for...
4 Thank Tracy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beldibi
Karmir Resort & Spa
Club Salima
#10 of 29 in Goynuk
Maxx Royal Kemer Resort
Crystal Flora Beach Resort

Been to Champion Holiday Village? Share your experiences!