“Rixos Sungate Shines”

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Beldibi
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Rixos Sungate Shines”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We visited the Rixos Sungate in early October. Having enjoyed the delights of the Rixos Belek and Bodrum, the Sungate didnt disappoint.

Positives
The hotel is large, but beautifully landscaped, so not overwhelming. The buffet restaurants cater for all tastes and the food is excellent, especially the salads. We enjoyed lunch at the Alara Beach Restaurant most days, my other half couldnt get enough beer and chicken wings. The Turkish and Lebonese al a carte restaurants were wonderful. At 4pm each day, you could enjoy noodle soup and a stir fry from the noodle bar by the main pool. You could honestly spend your entire holiday just eating, not good for the waistline though.

We initially stayed in a side sea view room in the main building, comfortable and spacious, but our request to move to a full sea view room was granted. We were even given a choice of rooms.

Most days were spent lazing by the beautiful swimming pools. The sunloungers at the main pool area were made of foam and really comfy, with bean bag pillows. You could retreat to the silence pool area, set among lush gardens, if you really wanted to get away from it all. Theres also a large indoor pool in the main hotel and another in the spa.

We enjoyed the coffee bar. I especially loved the cinnamon hot chocolates!

Almost all of the staff we encountered were very courteous and efficient and you would often see managers overseeing operations. The 'mixologists' in the main outdoor pool bar were great fun. The waiters in the main restaurants worked really hard and nothing was too much trouble for them. Rooms were kept clean and minibars stocked up daily.

Theres loads to do if you can summon up the energy. The entertainment team host the usual games and activities.

The beach area is lovely, and the sea was very warm, even in October. The views from the hotel are stunning, mountains to the back and the twinkling lights of Antalya across the bay.

Negatives (from a personal perspective only)

In the late afternoon, some of the poolside games were accompanied by ear busting music. We often retreated to the turkish baths in the spa area. On a couple of occasions, giggly children sat in the sauna with us, and then splashed around in the spa pool. Really annoying, but not the hotels fault.

Most of the entertainment is geared towards the Russian clientele. The cinema shows two films daily, but the English language films are typically shown at 4pm. The Alara Show Bar entertainment kicks off at 10pm, and OMG, its loud. Apparently most folk with children stay in the terraces rather than the main hotel (but theres even a bit of noise from the neighbouring hotel over there too). Noise from the Alara shows prompted another room move to the quieter terraces. We were told the Alara closes down in mid October for the winter.

Almost all of the a la carte restaurants have a cover charge.

Pools are freezing. That said, if you brave it, you'll have the pool to yourself!

So why the 5 star review?

The Guest Relations Staff. Baris, Nareen and Nil in particular. It is almost impossible to pander to the different needs of so many guests from so many countries. Our negatives may be other peoples delights. Baris and his team were extremely attentive, polite and understanding. Our issues were quickly addressed, to our complete satisfaction. They seemed to genuinely care that you enjoyed your holiday experience and we felt we were valued guests. Hats off to you!

We left having thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was worth every penny. Wish I could say the same about the Thomas Cooks sub-contracted aeroplanes!

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious. Go for Higher rooms for a better view, esp in the terraces as there are lots...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BettyEdinburgh
Rixos S, Guest Service Team at Rixos Sungate, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Dear Madam BettyEdinburgh,

Big thanks for the review. We will be glad to see you again.
Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 24, 2013

just because this hotel has some good reviews does not mean I have no right to complain which i have this is the worst hotel i had ever stayed in,air con not working, fridge keeping yr drinks warm, restaurants meals same every meal, very poor service mostly ignored & no water & no cutlery on the table for meals, alcarte rest not good either, complained 2 no further avail, even when home because some people think this hotel is good im getting nowhere, i was so stressed i wanted to come home after 1 week of a 2 week holiday never again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mummybear9
Dear Mummybear9,

It's sad you went through this but we beleive we can make your stay better.
Keep positive and we hope to host you again.

Best Wishes,
helensburgh
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel beginning of October and had an amazing time,weather was brilliant too...I am a travel agent and was travelling with my husband,two sons and 1 year old grandson,we also had 2 friends join us later in the holiday.
I have stayed at quite a few 5 star hotels and I certainly would class this as 5 star.
The rooms were lovely and we booked sea view rooms..they were perfect for my grandson as they were carpeted and quite big so he could happily crawl about :)
Most nights we paid to go to the a la carte restaurants and I would say the teppenyaki was probably the majority favourite..although the rest were lovely too..they cost about $30 pp so not too bad...you have to book these restaurants early....because we booked with Thomas cook we received 5 restaurants free so this was great although we didn't have time to try them all...My favourite was the Mexican 'Cactus'..this was free for us and it was delicious the both times that we went,service was excellent too.
Service was very good most of the time throughout the hotel although sometimes it was the language barrier especially in the piano bar!!..but in the main it was good.
The Russians are in the majority here but we had no probs in fact I quite liked to people watch as they seem to get very dressed up even for the poolside :) ..
I would say to take US dollars for hotel as everything priced in this although they will price things in Turkish or euro.
The thomas cook rep Stephanie was brilliant..she has been in turkey a while and was excellent and very helpful..she secured us a late checkout for the last day which was great with a baby.
The children's facilities are great..we didn't use a lot as our grandson stayed with all of us rather than go to the crèche but there is Rixy Kingdom which is great with outdoor toys and a little farm and a pool and a restaurant especially for children..our grandson is 1 years but I think that 2years upwards there is just so much for them to do.
The water slides are great too..they were closed first few days but this was due to weather...entertainment was great although mostly geared towards the Russians...pool party great.
International brands included which is one of the things I look for in all inclusive...
One point to make is that people seem to put towels on beds for hours before they occupy them which is very annoying..it wasn't too much of a problem for us as it wasn't too busy but I imagine in peak times this would cause problems!!..the hotel should sort this out..just a small problem
All in all I thoroughly recommend this hotel and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank jonnyankorne
Dear jonnyankorne,

Fantastic review! See you in your next stay.

Good Luck!
Mashhad, Iran
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I spent 7 nights this summer in this hotel. Actually this was my 2nd stay in this hotel as I was there before about 5 years ago. During this 5 years I was counting down to go back to this hotel but unfortunately I can say this time the service level has reduced or may be my demands were growing unacceptably since last visit. Any how this hotel is still a large and vast hotel. You can find a relaxing place for your vacation. The food quality is excellent. I booked a sea view room and when I checked my room I could only see some trees and a small thin layar of sea view as my room was on 2nd floor. I checked with reception and they promised me to change the room by the day after, although the veiw of new room was not good enough. Except the room sea view every things in hotel were fine and nice. I like the Lotus bar the professional cocktail and the live programs which every nights performs at Alara beach bar. I suggest you to visit this hotel it worth to vist at least once in life. But make sure you will receive the plan and schedule at the first day and check the working hours of diffrent activities, restaurants, bars so you dont miss one. As the hotel is very vast you need to find were you are and what activities are near you at the time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ghafourian,

Thank you for the nice review. We do our best to reach your desires.

Stay well and see you in your next holidays.

Yours,
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at this hotel . We remember our first stay : we were so impressed with the hugh resort that we made new discoveries on our last day . So, for us it was easier to enjoy our holiday and "feel at home" .
The good points, as ever are : wonderful food, personnel very helpful, activities take place even if the rate of participation is low (gym - I enjoyed many pilates and morning gym session as a sole participant - many thanks to Anastasia and her read-headed colleague, sorry I forgot her name. So glad with the quality and friendliness !) , the degree of professionalism among the people working there (special thanks to Elis Seval who is really nice and an example of how Guest Relation people should act ).
Compared to our previous stay, 2 years ago, there were a few changes : the Coffee Room, near the reception area . Recommended if you want a real coffee or tea, there is enough choice for everybody . The Piano Bar, a little out of the way of the 2nd reception area, is where you can get cocktails / beer etc. We always wondered why therer were so few people there, it is cosy and life music (piano, of course) .
As previously, we did not like to eat at the main restaurant, which is still the cafetaria-style thing . Nothing wrong with the choice of food however, there is always a nice variety of everything and there is something different to eat every day . But the noise is a problem and the general outline of the restaurant is not cosy. I understand that catering so many guests brings certain restrictions , but we were so happy that during our stay the main restaurant was closed down and we had the opportunity to eat at the Pino restaurant ; very much more what we like, and the other guests were of the same opinion .
Too bad that the water at the main pool was so cold, we arrived after a spell of colder days and the water was too cold for me to bathe .
We like this hotel very much and recommend it to everybody . However, French speaking people should know that the knowledge of French is non-existent with the staff, so be sure to have a knowledge of some English/German/Russian/Turkish .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NanouetPapi
Dear NanouetPapi,

Great thoughts of you to write this review,thank you.
Please keep in touch as we see you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was recommended this resort from a work colleague, so did a lot of research and booked four months in advance, just got back last night and can not stop thinking about this incredible place.

Firstly I will give you an insight into who we are as a family.
Myself 40yr old British born Indian working class, Indian Housewife living in London with me and our nearly 3 year old Daughter who is very interactive with everyone.

The Weather was freezing on the arrival at 10PM but the 10 days from 4-14th October was HOT from 22- 35 Degrees centigrade.

Now being the only Indian family in a resort with a 1000 rooms was not going to be a problem for us, nor was any other factor regarding Races from anywhere else in the world. Being a London you are use to different people around you all the time.

We were amazed from day One till the tenth day when we had to return to UK by the whole resort experience. We did not take advantage of the free child care facility with live view on your mobile device, and only investigated it after check out, although we knew about it. Not just any old child care, Rixy club as everything for your child. I mention this as I did not get to participate in a few activities that i wanted to do, like jet skiing, Zip Wire, Segway, and Archary.

We only left the resort to do a light bit of shopping from the fast amount of small shops up and down the length of the long road outside the Resort entrance, Most of the time we were either in the indoor pools, on the Beach, In Rixy Kingdom or eating and drinking. Food and Drink is plenty full and available from so many locations, one restaurant is open till 2AM, they also have a proper bar (PIANO) open 24hrs. All inclusive (some PREMIUM NOT).

Every night they have Professional LIVE entertainment for free at 10PM isn which then leads you onto to a party at the Lotus Bar or Alara Club or disco downstairs till 3AM. My daughter usually fell asleep at 10/11PM even under the LOUD music, which was amazing for us, so we did not miss out. The POOL party was incredible (watch it on the net somewhere, FB). We did not bother with some of the Famous singers as we did not know who they were, but most nights we did check it out and even stayed up to party a few times.

Most of the staff leave you feeling like they really care for you and the amount of attention they gave our daughter was well over and above I have ever seen, even coming over and giving her a small chocolate treat when she was crying and being a pain for the wife and myself. They worked their magic and she was as good as gold again. You would never find customer care that good in the UK (My personal Opinion).

We had a room on the ffith floor with Land Veiw, after 4 days we asked for a free upgrade to Seaveiw which they did after 2 days without a problem, Also ate at 2 A la carte Restaurants the Al Seyah and Cactus, both superb food. The buffet choice just goes on and on and is plenty full.

We tipped a few of the staff over the last couple of days as we thought they were well deserving of it. Would love to go again, but I think the world has a lot to offer so would go else were in the future, but the Rixos name has left us full of wonderful memories.

My advice to UK travellers would be to do your research, lower your expectations of H&S standards and Attitude's of people from different cultures and enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: 5th floor Land/Sea View room west block of Rixy Club is quite but a bit far from main area, But it d...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ennapatel
Rixos S, Guest Service Team, at Rixos Sungate, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Dear Ennapatel,

Thanks for your breathtaking review. See you again.

Best Wishes,
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We have been to many deluxe hotels nearby Antalya and Rixos sungate is definetely outstanding. It is quite huge complex so advise to book for a seaview room in main building, suggest floor 7-8. Waiter and waitress are so polite and ready for any help you need. My wife is 7 month pregnant and was not happy with the soup, the chef had ordered a new one custom made immediately. There are sufficient pool areas and a huge beach, you never feel crowded. Night club in alara open theatre is fanrastic. We had enjoyed every minute of retro party. I simply recommend rixos for especially couples and familes.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Levent E
Dear Levent E,

Thank you for the review. Have a pleasant day.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beldibi
Rixos Premium Tekirova
#4 of 21 in Tekirova
Akka Antedon Hotel
Akka Antedon Hotel
#1 of 63 in Beldibi

Been to Rixos Sungate? Share your experiences!