We visited the Rixos Sungate in early October. Having enjoyed the delights of the Rixos Belek and Bodrum, the Sungate didnt disappoint.
The hotel is large, but beautifully landscaped, so not overwhelming. The buffet restaurants cater for all tastes and the food is excellent, especially the salads. We enjoyed lunch at the Alara Beach Restaurant most days, my other half couldnt get enough beer and chicken wings. The Turkish and Lebonese al a carte restaurants were wonderful. At 4pm each day, you could enjoy noodle soup and a stir fry from the noodle bar by the main pool. You could honestly spend your entire holiday just eating, not good for the waistline though.
We initially stayed in a side sea view room in the main building, comfortable and spacious, but our request to move to a full sea view room was granted. We were even given a choice of rooms.
Most days were spent lazing by the beautiful swimming pools. The sunloungers at the main pool area were made of foam and really comfy, with bean bag pillows. You could retreat to the silence pool area, set among lush gardens, if you really wanted to get away from it all. Theres also a large indoor pool in the main hotel and another in the spa.
We enjoyed the coffee bar. I especially loved the cinnamon hot chocolates!
Almost all of the staff we encountered were very courteous and efficient and you would often see managers overseeing operations. The 'mixologists' in the main outdoor pool bar were great fun. The waiters in the main restaurants worked really hard and nothing was too much trouble for them. Rooms were kept clean and minibars stocked up daily.
Theres loads to do if you can summon up the energy. The entertainment team host the usual games and activities.
The beach area is lovely, and the sea was very warm, even in October. The views from the hotel are stunning, mountains to the back and the twinkling lights of Antalya across the bay.
Negatives (from a personal perspective only)
In the late afternoon, some of the poolside games were accompanied by ear busting music. We often retreated to the turkish baths in the spa area. On a couple of occasions, giggly children sat in the sauna with us, and then splashed around in the spa pool. Really annoying, but not the hotels fault.
Most of the entertainment is geared towards the Russian clientele. The cinema shows two films daily, but the English language films are typically shown at 4pm. The Alara Show Bar entertainment kicks off at 10pm, and OMG, its loud. Apparently most folk with children stay in the terraces rather than the main hotel (but theres even a bit of noise from the neighbouring hotel over there too). Noise from the Alara shows prompted another room move to the quieter terraces. We were told the Alara closes down in mid October for the winter.
Almost all of the a la carte restaurants have a cover charge.
Pools are freezing. That said, if you brave it, you'll have the pool to yourself!
So why the 5 star review?
The Guest Relations Staff. Baris, Nareen and Nil in particular. It is almost impossible to pander to the different needs of so many guests from so many countries. Our negatives may be other peoples delights. Baris and his team were extremely attentive, polite and understanding. Our issues were quickly addressed, to our complete satisfaction. They seemed to genuinely care that you enjoyed your holiday experience and we felt we were valued guests. Hats off to you!
We left having thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was worth every penny. Wish I could say the same about the Thomas Cooks sub-contracted aeroplanes!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- REDICOVER RIXOS SUNGATE. Rixos Sungate has welcomed the 2011 summer with a brand new face, working in conjunction with 4 construction firms and 2 highly respected architects throughout the winter period to renovate its rooms and public areas to create new projects to satisfy its guests. Rixos Sungate is once again prepared to create a holiday experience that is above expectations. The brand new 8 Grand Deluxe Villas are located at our VIP area, at 241m2 and with 3 bedrooms, kitchen, brand new interior design, private pool and exclusive guest services, Rixos Sungate has incorporated luxury and comfort whilst being both private and discreet. The VIP section has its own garden, private pool and entrance, along with the Siesta Bar and Supreme VIP Restaurant. Our 12 brand new Villa Executive Gardens have the distinction of being the only villas overlooking the sea with private terrace, pool and access to the Aegean Restaurant; we are proud to offer VIP services to our guests. All our rooms will have LCD for our guests enjoyment and Wi-Fi will be available so that the world is a click away. To take full advantage of the pleasures of the beach and sun, we have designed and built 2 brand new piers for our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rixos Sungate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sungate Port Royal Hotel
- Sungate Port Royal Beldibi
- Sungate Hotel
- Rixos Sungate Antalya Province/Beldibi, Turkey