“Service dropped drastically”
Review of Laguna Mar

Laguna Mar
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Pampatar
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We honeymooned at Lagunar Mar about 7 years ago and was pretty much impressed by everything. Recently went back and there were so many restrictions that was not previous i.e. reservations required at certain restaurants, food options somewhat limited. However on the flip side the currency conversion is really good, so it cost like 5 -10 TT to go on shopping tours, swimming with the dolphins, coney island etc. So we made the best out of it.

Room Tip: Check in early!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Nanda R

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This Resort was the worst i ever stayed at in my life. Firstly when i checked in and entered the room the washroom was a turn off very run down. Also they turned of water at nights so no water to flush toilets wash hands etc we had a baby we could no bathe the baby i had to sponge my child with water from the baby's icy hott. The bartender used his hands to cover the blender to mix drinks. I also used a dispender to get some cold water when i looked in the cup it was filled with dirty particles. Food was almost same everyday it was a turn off. Bedsheets smelt terrible. Soft Drink Machine they plugged of every morning also no chocolate tea for kids or even adults who usually drank this type of tea. Never my family and I again at that hotel

Room Tip: We changed rooms twice non was better than the other
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank TriniUnknown2012
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at lagunamar during the carnival weekend with my husband, 17 mth old son, and 4 other family members. Firstly check in was a hassle... because we came with a travel agency they dropped us at the south tower along with everyone else although we requested north tower. So the front desk checked us in and gave us our bands and told us we can go have lunch and come back for our bags and then they'll take us across to the north tower. When we got to the north tower they took about an hour to get us to our room! By this time we were all so tired especially my 17 month old son. By this time was already dinner so we went to the restaurant but the food left much to be desired. Very little choices but the hotel did inform us they were experiencing a shortage of food items so their menu was limited.
The pools are all very nice but need to be cleaned a little more often as we could see debris and an oily film on the surface. The drinks at the bar are very mediocre and most staff members are not bilingual so communication was often a tedious task.
One thing though is that the north tower is better in terms of upkeep and rooms are newer but it's quite far from the main area of the resort. But there are vans that drive up and down all day until 1.30am so its not an issue to move around.
There is a designated kids area as well, with a playroom and a children pool. Very nice resort for children as there's alot of space for them to run around. The beach is very rough and definitely not safe to go swimming.
Overall the hotel is beautiful and very well maintained, lots of green in an island that's almost like a desert. My only wish was that the food was better. But I dont mind returning.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Mandi3922
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Spent four nights with seven family members including my 15 month old son. I'd like to say that i stayed at many all inclusive resorts in the caribbean including cancun Mexico so I had mixed expectation about this place. I stayed in a junior suite so my boy would have enough space to move around worked out great as the room was big and had a big secured terrace. Toilet and bath area is spacious and very clean and had a safe. Food was good bit the same everyday but there was some shortage with the protest that was going on so I accepted that. But You can get pizza, hot dogs, burgers, fries sandwiches ect. So it's not bad after all There are quite a few good drinks options but you would have to visit all the bars to get certain drinks that you might prefer and the beers are very light. There are many pools including a children play area with slides and splash who had lots of fun. The beach are nice but the water is very rough but there's a bar and grill so it's worth the trip.There are many activities during the day but the night shows are fantastic! I had no complaints with any of the staff members who tried very hard to please us although they speak little English an none at all.. This resort is very budget friendly and for people who wants more then pay the price and go somewhere else! I would return!

Room Tip: Stay at the north tower in a junior suite. It's quieter and not dated.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank jeromie r
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Visited last weekend, it was the worst , the food was beyond terrible, it was almost inedible, the place was run down, but the resort has a lot of potential but it is in definite need of an upgrade Pleasant staff , but the language barrier was a bit difficult and getting assistance was quite difficult. The pools were dirty, but the night time shows were cool. The beach was nice but the water was very rough , but lifeguards were present most of the times. I vow I would never return to this place , even if someone was paying to take me . We visited the malls but we were greeted with empty shelves or closed doors.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Butterfly1986
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Let me say that it is worth spending a little more to vacation at another country or a more expensive hotel if you really want to go to magarita island. Personally I wasted time and money booking a vacation here.
1. The food is the very worst. Same menu day after
day of tasteless food. The meats were not cooked and smelled awful. The best meal of the day was breakfast, and it wasn't all that great.during my stay I ate mostly salad, dry bread and thanks God for fresh fruits.
2. The room smelled like paint and when the Ac was adjusted there were condensation on the walls n floor of the room. The hot water didn't work in my room , so after take a cold shower you had to continue freezing in the room. The bathroom was dirty and there were no mats until the very last day of our stay. I didn't loose anything from my room but a friend suspected that someone had search through her things.
3. The resort itself if very big and has a lot of activities to do but after the second day I had gotten bored and the daily activities had become monotonous.the shows at night were the highlight of the day. It is a must see if you are staying in the hotel. The dancers are very friendly and they were very accommodating.
4.reception- had no problems with them but the language barrier became a little annoying after a while. They should have more bilingual workers since they have alot of trini visitors.
5.shopping-we went to the mall and the stores were pretty much empty. The flea market had better deals. Beware do not use your credit card . Use B's . If you use your credit card you will end up paying 5 times more for the item. You can check around the beach and the stores in the hotel for reasonable exchange rates.
transport- there are buses that will take you to tours but the taxis a reach cheaper. A lot of people said it would have been unsafe and scary but at no time did I feel unsafe in and out of the hotel.
Everyone seemed to be unconcerned with us.
At the end of the day I will not go back to magarita neither laguna mar. This place is not for me!! This was one of the worst vacations ever .there were even hours of delay at the
hotel. I will not advise anyone to spend their money to vacation here. Pay a little more and go to st Lucia or one of the other island

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Livi_Seu
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We travelled here for Christmas in 2012. I should have written this review sooner, since the "When did you travel" button only goes as far back as Feb 2013.Technically we travelled to Margarita Island and stayed in a different hotel called Costa Caribe, but this hotel was awful and we upgraded to this one.

I am Canadian and there are a few things you need to know about the area. Margarita Island is off the coast of Venezuela and during the holidays locals from the mainland come here to relax. This isn't a huge tourism area and it was sometimes difficult to find hotel staff that could speak English. Which is fine, it just added to our experience. There is a lovely beach near the property and there are small buses that even pick you up and drive you there although it is certainly walking distance. The beach here is very nice, but the waves are very rough and you will mostly likely not stay in the water very long. We spent most of our swimming in the pools and you certainly have a large selection of pools here. All of which are awesome.

There are two main hotel buildings for this resort, which mirror each other. It is obvious that one is newer than the other. If you explore the large property you can also find a third resort building, eating area, etc. that is all rundown. We thought it was kind of funny that they didn't tear it down, but this is something we learned later. We learned that demolition on Margarita Island is very expensive because there isn't an abundance of heavy machinery for construction on the island. It is very easy to find rundown hotels on the island; however our hotel building was well maintained and upscale.

The food here was great, the staff was very friendly (although the language barrier), the spa was well prices, and the pools and entertainment were of high quality. The nightly entertainment was every night at 9 and is mostly done in Spanish. One night they even performed the entire "The Little Mermaid" and although it was all done in Spanish, it was a great performance! Better than some local plays/musicals I have seen in Toronto.

For excursions we did horseback riding which was very romantic and relaxing. We also did a jeep excursion. I really liked this one too, but since you are standing up in the back of a jeep for half the day, my boyfriend got a headache and earache from all the wind, so he didn't like it and thought it would have been better if it was shorter. I liked it because you are practically able to see the entire coast and wave to a ton of locals on the street. Very friendly area.

Try to get out of the hotel and explore. We went to the large shopping mall in town to do some shopping, we also grabbed a bit to eat here as well. Most of the people working at the mall don't speak English either (again just fine with me). We went to a restaurant here which was amazing. couldn't understand the language so we randomly pointed to stuff on the menu and ended up with a chicken dish and a pasta dish with squid. Amazing food and good prices.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jessie V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pampatar
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#15 of 89 in Margarita Island

Been to Laguna Mar? Share your experiences!