“Excellent 'family & friends' foodie holiday”

Annie B's Spanish Kitchen
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent 'family & friends' foodie holiday”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stumbled across Annie B's Spanish Kitchen in The Guardian's review of 'best family holidays'; I was looking for something different to do with my two children, who were 10 and 8 yrs. old at the time. We're amateur cooks but serious foodies. On a previous holiday in Thailand, a day of cooking lessons was our favorite part of the trip, so I thought we were ready to upgrade to a full cooking course. We booked a week's trip with 4 days of cooking in Annie's kitchen, which left time for the beach, a day trip to Tangiers, and an outing to Andalusia's regional Michelin star restaurant, Aponiente. Our time with Annie was beyond expectation. The cooking itself was fantastic (the fresh local foods, the Spanish and Moorish flavors, and the techniques we learned), and the varying daily program (trips to the local market, picking our own produce at an organic farm, tours of the local tapas bars) made each day a new adventure. The kids had plenty of time to dip into the pool and cool off while enjoying the treats we made. But above all, it was Annie who made this holiday one we'll always remember. Annie is a warm and gracious host and a fascinating woman with stories to tell. We all loved our time with her and will definitely visit again. I recommend Annie B's Kitchen to anyone who believes life improves with great food, wine and friendship.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Jola120

Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Spanish hospitality at it's best”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

To anyone contemplating a tour around Spain, make sure your itinerary allocates time to visit Vejer la Fronterra, and in particular, allocate at least two full days to immerse yourself in Andalusion hospitality, "Annie B" style. You will not be disappointed.
Vejer La Fronterra is an ancient hilltop town. To the casual visitor it is a clean, quiet and beautiful place with a facade of stark whitewashed buildings laid out in a mish mash of convoluted alleyways. Hidden within are many surprises and Annie's cooking school is one of them which deserves stellar status.

Our first day with Annie, combined a discovery walking tour around the old town and visits to various produce stores, focusing on what was seasonal, or unique to the area. Then, it was back to Annie's place, where with the help of her able and charming assistant "Pepe", we enjoyed preparing some traditional local dishes. Annie is an expert on regional wines and Sherrys which are offered to complement the meal. Lunch in Spain is a ritual where time is of little importance and the hours dissolved into the early evening before we parted. But the hospitality does not end there. We returned later that evening to enjoy sundown aperitifs, accompanied by live flamenco music. Heaven!

Our second day involved travelling to a near by coastal fishing town, where we visited the local fish markets to purchase ingredients for a beautiful seafood themed lunch. Back at Annie's we got involved in preparing another 4 courses, which we enjoyed around the poolside terrace.

Our time with Annie leaves a lasting legacy of fond memories, fantastic recipes to take back home, and a friendship which we hope to renew on our return visit to Espagna.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank stevelyn
Gibraltar
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“We came back!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just like Arnie- but this time with 3 teenagers in tow!
Having visited with 3 girlfriends last autumn, I booked a day with Annie for my brothers family whilst they had come to visit me in Vejer. I was a bit concerned about how they would take to it- would it be "cool" enough for their discerning tastes and low boredom threshold?!
I needn't of worried- we met Annie in the local deli where she gave them a guided tour of the hams hanging from the ceiling, local delicacies and great pastries- I could see this would be their local shop for the week. From there onto the local fruit market- a first for me even though I have been a weekend visitor for years (I'll be back!) A quick walk up the hill and we were soon in Annie's lovely house enjoying the panoramic views of the town and coast from her terrace.
Then down to the kitchen and the hours melted away in a frenzy of chopping, shredding, blending, whisking, and tasting prior to enjoying the fruit of our labours by Annie's pool. Great recipes- the home made meatballs in tomato sauce got top marks, complimented by our dips, tuna salad, and yummy chocolate and almond cake. All in all- it was voted as cooler than the iced melon gazpaucho we had for starter- and you can't score better than that from teens!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Seagullsview
Redditch, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More than we expected”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We took part in a 3 day course within a 7 day holiday in Vejer. It was much more than we expected in so many ways. The food was fantastic; we felt proud of ourselves for producing that food; we loved meeting the other people involved. I was there for my 60th birthday - one I will never forget, and Martin impressed Annie with his idea for the gallettas.
If you love Spain and cooking, don’t hesitate - book it now!

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Jan J
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 day cooking school with Annie B in Vejer and cannot recommend it highly enough. Less catering college and more a relaxed dinner party with excellent food and drink which was taken on the roof top with views out to Morocco in the distance or in the courtyard next to the pool. The course is based in her old stone house in the heart of the lovely old town of Vejer. Who knows I would have liked sherry so much! Annie is a delightful and generous hostess -- she also provided loads of suggestions/recommendations for things to do on the trip and arranged accommodation.

The highlight of the trip was probably cooking the largest fish I've ever seen!

Visited May 2012