“This review is for food only, not accommodation”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pershore
Worcester, United Kingdom
“This review is for food only, not accommodation”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Came here for a works Xmas meal. Was lovely food, all very tasty. Could have done with more melba toast to go with the pate but this is my only gripe. Staff all very friendly and helpful. The xmas meal was £15 for 3 courses plus mince pie and coffee and was well worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Angel Inn in Pershore is what you'd expect from an inn. The downstairs is the bar and restaurant which is very inviting in a cozy pub kind of way with very friendly staff. The rooms are upstairs and mine was comfortable and clean and that's all you need if you are here to visit the surrounding area and only spend a couple of days here. The food in the restaurant is also delicious, I sampled both the breakfast (nice enough full English) and the dinner (very very tasty).

However, I came here to work and therefore needed internet access. This is supposed to be in all the rooms but could be quite intermittant. I could also have done with a desk in the room which according to their website is in all the premium rooms. However, this is not the case, I had a dressing table, which due to its shape could not function as a desk. However, I worked in the lounge area which is very pleasant. There were also other minor annoyances which I would have resented if I was paying the full price for this room (I got it on a deal from lastminute.com) or was staying longer. The hand held shower could not be hand held or adjusted for height as it was taped onto its stand! Not very good if this was at the wrong height. Also it meant that you had to be in the stream of water before you could adjust for temperature. The wardrobe in the room contained a blanket which had just been thrown in and the top shelf was filled with a plastic cover (for the duvet I think) and some towels and another blanket so this shelf was unusable. There was only one hanger on the rail so basically this wardrobe was totally useless. The bed had five or so cushions on it which looked lovely when you walked in but meant you had to pull them all off and leave them on the floor (which had limited space so not a good option) or on the armchair, thus making this also useless. The room was very cold on entering but did heat up when the heating was put on max. The hotel information folder contained the wrong menu for dinner and none at all for breakfast and no instructions for the heating (which I worked out myself but the folder said that it contained the information!) The floors are all very creaky and so you could hear everyone that walked outside the room.

On the plus side I had the room above the restaurant but did not find it noisy. I also could not hear any noise from other rooms which is often a problem in guest houses and although the hotel is old there were no loud plumbing noises so was able to have a very peaceful night in a nice comfortable bed. There is also ample parking space which you don't have to pay for if you are staying at the hotel. The inn is also situated close to local amenities with easy access to some National Trust properties.

If I were visiting Pershore for a short break I would definitely come here again simply because of the lovely staff and good food. However, I think the experience could be much improved with very little effort on part of the management. ie. heat the rooms before arrival, fix the shower holder, tidy up your wardrobe and put more hangers in them and get rid of the cushions!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SRD1509
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Angel Inn over New Years and booked one more expensive rooms to have space for an extra bed for our daughter. We really enjoyed our stay and found the staff lovely, the decor nice and all in all it's a great place to spend a few nights. The only thing that really jarred was that the bay window in our room was original leaded glass and leaked both cold air and moisture to the extent that the entire area around the windows were covered in mould. Even the thick curtains were mouldy. I complained immediately to a staff member but as there were no other rooms available it was suggested that we just use the curtains as a barrier against the cold and mould. Really not what I would have expected in such an otherwise nice hotel. I was really concerned about my (asthmatic) daughter sleeping next to so much mould but they suggested to let them know if she started to develop any symptoms. This just doesn't seem acceptable! Since we didn't have any options we stayed on, but I'm not sure I'd stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked very late for a overnight New Years Eve stay, we found the staff friendly, the room was fine, the food good and the dancing till 2am with the right amount of people enjoying the Party and Music, well done Angel Inn

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Cold room - they switched the heating on as we entered the room, no heating at all in the bathroom, no staff on reception, only 2 x hangers in the wardrobe. Room was described as luxury - it was in my opinion a standard room. Staff were lovely and helpful when you could find them, sent 2 e-mails to the hotel - have had no response! We stayed in November and having complained to the staff about the cold room when we arrived I'm sad to see that more recent visitors have also had cold rooms on arrival too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Newish-to-Brum
Chelmsford, Essex
Reviewed December 28, 2012

When we arrived, we found there was no-one on reception to greet us and we pushed the bell twice before a member of staff came to our aid. We were then shown to our room, which felt ice cold as nobody had put the heating on to warm the room before our arrival. I had to clean my teeth with my coat on before we left to go to an event. As a national glossy homes journalist, I did notice that the actual blinds fabric was good quality and the chandelier and cushions were attractive, so I assume the owners had tried with the actual decor to make the room look nice.

However, that really was only the start - the beige carpet was covered in stains with black mould on the window frames in both the bedroom where the sash window was broken and bathroom where the window had been painted shut. The shower cubicle also had mould around the start stop button, on the shower hose and around the shower doors and the aroma was rather pungent when standing in the cubicle. The basin had a big crack in it, which made this room more unhygienic and the toilet made a loud noise every time it was flushed. I noted that the white duvet also had small stains on the cover and the mattress was past its best - sagging out at the sides.

The actual stay was noisy - the floors need to be sorted out so it doesn't sound like a herd of elephants every time people pass your door although that was the least of my worries as what concerned me far more was the lack of cleanliness. It was with this in mind that we decided not to chance the breakfast and instead visited a nearby cafe.

I did make my feelings known the next morning but was told that had we stayed in a more expensive room, we would not have had any of these problems. However, I did point out that cleanliness and hygiene should always be a basic right wherever you stay and at whatever cost. I offered to take the staff member up to the room to show them but they told me that they could not leave reception unmanned (like the previous day). I also commented that the carpet on the ground floor was also covered in stains - the only explanation I was given for the condition of our room was that the sash window had broken two days earlier and a radiator had burst to make one of the many stains on the ground floor, plus a very lame apology.

I would not recommend this hotel and especially not at £75 a night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ladymills
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

On previous visits I gave up due to the long queue for service at the bar and overpowering smell of burnt food, but finally got a table and some service yesterday. Alas it was not a good choice. I had to ask to get our table wiped so we could eat in reasonable conditions. Both real ales I tried tasted less than fresh. The food was acceptable but pretty tasteless. The service was haphazard even though it was not terribly busy. I was surprised to see a Trip Advisor excellence sticker in the window, but maybe the accommodation is better?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PAJMcK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pershore
The Wood Norton Hotel
Dumbleton Hall Hotel
Dumbleton Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Evesham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,044 reviews

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!