“Loved it!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Castillo
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Baracoa
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I had a great stay at El Castillo! The staff was super friendly and was helpful whenever I had questions. I loved the pool and the outside bar. The breakfast buffet was really good too. My room was clean and had air conditioning, a refrigerator, TV, and a safe. The view of Baracoa is amazing from El Castillo! I would love to come back again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kimberly126

Reviewed January 25, 2011

After spending nine nights in a casa particular (private rental home) in Baracoa, we enjoyed a change of scenery at El Castillo Hotel for our last four nights. Located on a hill above the rustic town, our room with balcony delivered a commanding view of the coastline and El Yunque. Spanish for “anvil,” El Yunque is the defining flat-topped mountain on the Baracoa horizon.

Beside a pool large enough for swimming lengths, we relaxed, napped, read our Spanish books by the pool, sipped our drinks, and wondered which palm tree would release the next coconut. Drinks, coffee and snacks can be ordered from the poolside bar, to assuage any hunger pangs between breakfast and dinner. Buffet-style breakfast is included in the price of 60 CUCs per night. The buffet dinner costs 10 CUCs while the a la carte menu is 12 CUCs, not including drinks. Additional amenities in the hotel’s 34 rooms include satellite TV with an English-speaking CNN news channel, a safe for securing valuables, and telephone.

El Castillo, part of the Gaviota chain of hotels, means “castle” in Spanish. Fittingly, it is located in a former fortress built by the Spanish during colonial times. As far as food and accommodation go, it’s tops in Baracoa!

Calle Calixto García, Loma El Paraíso
Baracoa, Guántanamo, Cuba
[--]

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Quakeup
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the El Castillo Hotel in Baracoa. The town had originally been defended by 3 forts, and this was the site of one of them. Little remains of the fort, but the position is outstanding. The hotel is a "new" building in the sense that it is not an old colonial building, but does show the signs of lack of maintenance that you see everywhere in Cuba. Our bedroom window had light showing all the way round, and on closer examination we saw that the window frame itself was rotten - and rain came in in torrents when it rained.. However our room looked out over the town and it was comfortable. Think I would stay there again if I ever went back to Baracoa - vary little choice of other places!

We ate in the hotel the first night, but as happens in Cuba, they shut the restaurant without explanation, and our food was served in the pool bar. I had a creole shrimp dish that was perfectly acceptable, but nothing special. And the surrounding militated against it being a good place to eat, as Hurricane Thomas was only 1 day away and the weather was closing in.

Breakfast was Cuban, to the extent that they did not serve fresh fruit (we always try to eat that in Cuba to avoid the normal stuff!) but tinned. When you consider that the country is full of fresh fruit - I guess it is a reflection on the command economy. The coffee was not just "hotel breakfast coffee" bad, it was truly appalling, but you can go and buy yourself a good fresh cup from the bar.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moraira
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed 2 days in Baracoa . El castillo have a great location ,the view is amazing but the hotel is disapointed .The room is not clean , the douche dont work , there is no minibar . the breakfast is no good and whe have eating there for lunch a fish the whurst
we have eating in Cuba. I think the management must do something about it .
The city is great . The paladar la colonial and the restaurant el punto have very good food and the 2 nights in the casa de la trova are unforgetable .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HugoBelgiumAntwerp
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Dirty, dark and noisy room.
I awake full of bites (and was not mosquitos)
Dirty swiming pool
Bar not working
Worst breakfast I ever had. Not water included.
TV not working. Shower not working properly

Of course, the price for a double room (60$) without discount

Nice views of Baracoa, but not neccesary to stay in the hotel, just go to the top and take some pics.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. was sorry I didn't have an extra night for Baracoa and area.
The view from the hotel is outstanding. You have to climb stairs to get there as the hotel is placed up hill.
The room is nicely furnished, but the furniture is not new. The A/C is a window A/C .
No minibar. The towels were small and thin. Dim iIllumination - that disturbed me most.

The staff hardly spoke English but made an effort to understand, they phoned Cubatour to inquire if the tour I wanted was departing.

Breakfast - not self service except coffee. I bought Avocado and rolls as supplement.
One PC with internet connection- 6 cuc per hour - didn't try it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I am appalled to hear of the below reviews. My uncle, my sister and myself all stayed for 9 nights in June and the hotel EXCEEDED my expectations. Especially breakfast!! My eggs were always cooked to absolute perfection, never too soft, never too hard. The fruit juice was very tasty, not at all watered down and I remember feeling bad for the server as I asked for 3 or 4 glasses every morning. It was delicious. Some of the fruit was out of a can, but while travelling in Cuba you will come to learn that sometimes that is the safest, cleanest way to go and I am ok with that! The pool had an abundance of lounge chairs, the bar staff at poolside were friendly and always on time. The sandwiches and other food sold pool side were always excellent. We were there for a wedding at Porto Santo and anything we needed to prepare at our hotel for the wedding was promptly supplied.

Upon departure, we truly felt like the most valued guests there that week!! I am booked in for two weeks in December and I can't wait!

• Stayed: June 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baracoa
Hotel Porto Santo
#4 of 5 in Baracoa
Melia Santiago de Cuba
Melia Santiago de Cuba
#1 of 12 in Santiago de Cuba
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Villa Maguana
Villa Maguana
#3 of 24 in Baracoa
La Terraza de Baracoa (Rafael y Adis)

Been to Hotel El Castillo? Share your experiences!