“Amazing holiday in Lapland!”

Hotel Hullu Poro (Crazy Reindeer)
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Levi
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing holiday in Lapland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A perfect Winter Wonderland holiday for all the family! We have just returned from a fantastic week in Finland. The hotel was very comfortable and the "luxury suite" was perfect for our family. We took our 2 young children, aged 3 and 5 and Grandma & Grandad, aged ..... and ...., and the accomadation was ideal. We were half board, though had our own kitchen, living room and sauna!!! The food was good and plentiful with plenty of choice to suit everyone. The staff are friendly and very helpful!
The whole holiday was enhanced by fabulous snow conditions - an absolute bonus for a late Easter skiing holiday. The ski area is fabulous, with a good range of long runs and well maintained pistes!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Cathryn G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
Essex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Perfect family traditional hotel, close to the slopes and shops in Levi. Food buffet style, traditional lappish food mainly. Beds were very comfy, rooms very warm, useful drying cupbard for wet boots and ski gear. Sauna in bathroom great after day skiing.

Room Tip: We were room 280 a family duplex with twin beds and a duplex area upstairs with twin beds, our 8 yea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bea5
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed in Hullu Poro Hostel (some 1,5 km from the main hotel) for 4 days and I really liked it. A hotel standard for a hostel price. Rooms are not very spacious but quite comfy though. Clean with basic furniture but you don't really need much when going on skiing holidays. Shared bathroom, kitchen and living room with TV. Quite far from the centre and skiing lifts (1,5 km) but it is only some 15 minutes walk (you can leave your skiing stuff in lockers located in Zero Point). Surroundings are quiet and peaceful. Paid 20 EUR for a single room, so it is a real bargain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank snooka76
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last dec with my husband and five yr old son went with Thomson and from the start to end every thing was magical hotel is fine food is fine although not piping hot I loved this place once in a live time and every child's dream the only sad thing is we will never have another Xmas the same again now !! I think some people who write on here forget why their there I'm fussy and I've got no complaints at all ! Beds so comfy thanks to the elves and reps u do a fab job

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank amy-ida
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed in one of the outer buildings, number seven, I believe. There was a note on the door at the end of the building stating that the door was out of order, but it was not. We used the door on the side of the building until one of our friends told us the more convenient door was not broken.

The lighting in the bathroom was so inadequate that I could not use the bathroom mirror to apply makeup. On the brighter side (no pun intended) the steam shower in our room was nice.

The window appeared to be permanently sealed, so it could not be opened. Instead, there was a little air vent above the window and a tiny side window thing that you can open for air. I like a little fresh air, even though extremely cold it may be.

Breakfast was included, but I could only deal with it once. It was not at all palatable. It consisted of such things as questionable "scrambled" eggs, thawed fruit, stale assorted bread, warm soupy yogurt, etc. The room had a fridge so I went to one of the local supermarkets and bought staples.

There was a sauna in the building along with a jacuzzi. Problem was, it was open only briefly each day for the guests' use. I wanted to use it early in the day or later in the evening. Not possible. I was told I could trudge over to the main building to use the one there at other hours. Very inconvenient given it was winter and it took fifteen minutes to dress appropriately for the Arctic temperatures!

The jacuzzi contained water that was barely warm, so maybe it was intended as more of a plunge pool after the sauna. So, for these aforementioned reasons I used those facilities only once in our stay of one week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AAGeorgiapeach
Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Although this was two years ago my friend and I had a wonderful holiday in Lapland, and the Crazy Reindeer could not have been faulted, Not 5 star but we knew that before we went, but it exceeded our expectations, The choice of food was excellent, the rooms were quite small but adequate, the shower was wonderful especially when we came in from the cold. The town of Levi was just beautiful and the ski runs lit up at night was magical, we even saw a glimpse of the northern lights,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patricia H
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

My partner & I have just returned from our honeymoon to Lapland and our stay at the Crazy Reindeer Hotel. Booked through Inghams, we were very pleased with the hotel & our holiday.

This is a long view (apologies!) covering the hotel & our excursions.

We booked to stay in White Reindeer with private sauna. The room was nice but a very long walk down a maze of corridors from reception, bar & restaurant (it was actually quicker to reach the front of the hotel by coming/going via the night entrance at the back of the hotel). The bed was comfy & the room well kept, even if some of the furniture looked a tad old & rickety. The "kitchenette" was a fridge, sink, kettle & microwave so I wouldn’t expect to be able to cook much in these rooms.

The sauna was excellent (used every day, so relaxing) but the bathroom let the room down a little. The tiles were tatty & dated and in need of updating. The shower, whilst old fashioned, was hot & very powerful so that definitely scored back some points! It is a wet-room style bathroom so you have to squeegee the floor after every shower. The place was, however, spotlessly clean.

The public areas of the hotel, especially the Reindeer Lounge & loos in the basement are very nice & must have been recently refurbished. If they can carry this quality to the rest of the hotel, this place would be so much better.

The Taivas Restaurant (means Sky in Finnish) has lovely twinkly stars on the ceiling, but it is very dark. I know that's the point but I think it's too dark for it to be atmospheric. Try sitting to the right by the windows, it's much brighter than on the left.

The food was ok, which is the main reason for the very good score & not excellent. We travel quite a lot and I enjoy trying new foods & local dishes but the menu at breakfast & dinner was a little repetitive.

Breakfast was cereal, porridge (totally gross, like wallpaper paste, stay away from it!) and sometimes scrambled egg, very cheap sausages, beans & some crazy (reindeer?!) meatballs. There was a small selection of fruits, bread, cheese & meats. About twice in the week they served bacon, which isn’t really enough (I admit to being a bit British when it comes to breakfast. A cheese & ham sandwich is not breakfast - that's lunch!).

At dinner, there was a meat choice & a fish choice with assorted vegetables. Some of the meats were very tasty (chicken with orange & tarragon being a favourite) as was the veg, but some of it was too salty for my taste (something my partner did not notice). Reindeer did feature on the menu one night (see separate review about the Rock Cafe!) and I preferred the meatballs to the sautéed option. My partner is a fussier eater than me and mainly stuck to a vegetarian diet, but he was happily fed most nights. Desserts were a bit odd at times, but the apple & cinnamon crumble was awesome & one of the nicestest desserts I have EVER tasted! Shame about there being no hot custard to go with it, but that's me being British again!!

The lounge area is very inviting & comfortable (beware of the Finnish soaps on the TV - there was a bunch of kids watching some very steamy sex scenes!!) Like all of Finland, prices were high. 14eur for a glass of wine & a sprite or 16eur for 2 hot chocolates (with brandy though!). The prices are similar to what I would expect to pay in a London hotel and were not unlike the prices in bars around Levi (16eur for 2 vodka & lemonades or 12eur for 2 ciders). More expensive than at home, but i’ve paid a lot more in Ibiza!

Having said that, you can get a decent bottle of wine from the Alko shop around the corner for less than 7eur and most are under 10eur. Branded ciders (reckordalig, Kopparberg) were about 3eur a can or 4 for 10eur from the supermarket, so if you do drink, you're far better getting booze in your room. Try the local Longdrink (gin & grapefruit), very nice.

We also ate lunches in our room most days. Stuff for sandwiches can be bought from the supermarket which is only 5 mins walk away and they do an ok selection of microwave meals. We spent about 100eur on lunch bits throughout the week for the 2 of us. Might sound a lot but when lunch in a restaurant can easily cost 20eur per head, per day, it pays to eat in sometimes! (see separate review for Bistro bar & cafe).

We booked most of our excursions via Inghams before leaving the UK. Their prices are not inflated and they were extremely well organised. The only trip we booked in resort was for Lainio Snow Village.

Reindeer Safari - we did the "super" which follows a longer route than the "mini" and loved every minute. It was a slow, relaxing ride and the sun was shining and snow glittering. Very calm & serene, a lovely bit of romance.

Husky Safari - again we did the "super" which was a lot of fun. It follows a similar route to the reindeer safari, across the frozen lake and through the forest & the sun shone for us again. It's a bit unnerving waiting to set off with the dogs howling & barking, but it's very quiet once you set off. You stop half way so each person can drive the sled. It's fast & fun, but your face will freeze!!

Snowmobiling - awesome! We shared a snowmobile rather than having one each & I think this worked best for us. It gave each of us a chance to drive & be a passenger and soak up the views. We did the "super" again and the trip seemed to last for ages. The vehicles are fairly easy to drive and you're in safe hands with the guides.

Lainio Snow Village at night - is what it says it is! Hotel, bar & restaurant made of ice & snow illuminated by coloured LEDs. Wall art & furniture sculpted from snow. You can book to stay overnight & they even have an ice chapel for weddings. Very impressive building and worth a visit.

Golden Crown Igloo - oh. my. god. See my separate review, but this was the highLIGHT of our trip & totally worth the expense! 

All in all, we loved Levi & Lapland. Levi is a stunning little town & offers good skiing & boarding (not that did any of that, far too much other stuff to see!). Very picturesque & friendly.

Inghams were great, the hotel is lovely & the excursions were great value, very well timed (no waiting around) & tremendous fun. We did consider the Caribbean, Miami & Thailand for our honeymoon, but the experiences in Lapland will beat sitting on a beach any day & the memories will stay with us forever. Can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to White Reindeer. We'd never really used a sauna before, but got hooked and had at leas...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple