“I couldn't think of a word other than "Excellent"”

and 1 more site!
Golden Crown Levi Igloos
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Levi
Hong Kong, China
“I couldn't think of a word other than "Excellent"”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

It's expensive but 200% worth (if the weather's nice)! ;)

We stayed in Tromso for 3 nights and we had seen northen light for all 3 nights, so we really didn't expect to see it again in Levi, but we did eventually, what a bonus! Thanks to the weather!

I started to make reservation in early 2013, Kristiina's very nice and helpful! She even greeted us at the entrance with her colleague, VERY impressive! They showed us the igloo one by one, the electric beds are amazing! You could see the lights at nights if the weather's allowed, because all igloos are facing north! Even without the northern light, I didn't even want to close my eyes as you could see as many stars as you want when you lied on the bed.

Breakfast's simple but we enjoyed a lot, we even bought some foods from supermarket and had a little barbecue at the teepee, we spent a wonderful night there, but too bad that we had to leave early the next day, otherwise I'd say thank you to Kristiina in person :)

The only little issue was... not all the road lights outside are functioning properly, some of the lights keep on the whole night even no one's walking thru.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank CalvinChoi129

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 2, 2013

It was always my dream to see the northern lights since childhood. Being in hot tropical equatorial country, we got nothing but summer all year around. Hence, school holidays were here and we have made our decision to travel here for our vacation with our 3 children.

We have made the right decision to book our stay here after reading too many bad reviews on the other igloo village Kakslauttanen (Our initial plan). You will not regret it, coz this place is absolutely stunning!!

We spent 3 nights in the Lappish Kammi (Northern LIghts House) and 1 night in the newly built superior igloos. On arrival from the Kitilla Airport which was just 10 mins journey, we were greeted by warm and friendly Marari. She showed us to house and it was so beautiful! First thing that caught my eye was the amazing ceiling with colourful lights.

Built on top of the slope, the scenery was simply breathtaking! We even saw some squirrels running around. From that moment, I thought I was in wonderland! No words could describe.

The northern lights house was equipped with a nice and clean kitchen. There's everything you need. Also provided sufficient and decent breakfast for our family. 3 bedrooms, sauna with built in fridge and a hot jacuzzi tub. For newbies in setting up fireplace, we were taught how to do it. Hehe..

There's free high speed Wifi in the house.

There was a Kota outside, free to use for guest for bbqing sausages and having drinks.

Taxi was expensive, we spent 24 euros just to get to the Levi Market to buy groceries and it was just a 10 mins ride.

What was really enjoyable was the hot jacuzzi tub out there in the cold. It was just an amazing experience for us. Special shower caps were provided to prevent our hair and ears from freezing while using the hot tub. After using the hot tub, we jumped out and quickly ran to the sauna. Best!

There's no luck in viewing of the northern lights for the first 2 nights as the weather do not have mercy on us. It was cloudy. Finally on our last night there, the magic happened. My hubby who was taking some photograph came in, excited and jumping like a child told me to go out to see my dream. Oh my god! I saw the northern lights for the first time of my life!! My jaw almost dropped!! Haha.. It was across over the horizon, though it's far ( not above our heads) but it's enough for the experience. It was faint at first and getting stronger. We had a good time taking pictures. Do prepare with heat packs if you do not want to freeze in the -20C temperature out there. :)

We moved to the superior igloo the following day. Igloo was warm and cozy. Kinda squeezy for 5 of us but we did fine. No television set in the igloo just a CD player, There's a controller for the bed to adjust the position so that you can have better viewing pleasure. Pretty clear skies for the night. Enjoyed ourselves just looking at the starry skies. We got lucky again and saw a spectacular northern lights show together with the moonrise.

Though a high price to pay, but it definitely worth it for a place like this!

Definitely a memorable vacation for us, my best vacation ever! Hope to come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Kerrynbabe
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Worth every penny.

Utterly speechless when we arrived at the location (late at night) with no lights, but when I got into the igloo, I knew I made the right decision. Kristiina was very helpful in the emails, and the food prepared in the fridge was simple but enjoyable.

It is a whole new experience, beautifully decorated and well-accommodated. It was a very warm, pleasant and comfortable stay (aside from the extreme cold weather outside). Was worried after reading reviews about the insufficient supply of hot water, but turned out to be more than enough for us!

Room Tip: Definitely recommend driving there (secluded location).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie C
Reviewed November 7, 2013

After consistent disappointment with a similar place, called Kakslauttanen Igloos (not even in the same league as it turns out), we were extremely fortunate to find the brilliant family run Golden Crown Levi Igloos. From our first conversations with Kristiina we were certain that our time in Levi would be memorable. In contrast to the aforementioned, we knew that we were making the right decision to spend our money (expensive yes, but certainly worth it even if you aren't lucky enough to see the Aurora Borealis).

We stayed in a glass igloo (number 4 is supposedly the best one as it's right on the edge) for one night and then in the utterly incredible northern nights house, also for one night. Both experiences were unforgettable. Not to forget the Kota where we enjoyed roasting sausages and marshmallows.

The views are absolutely breathtaking which can be enjoyed from your own hot tub and sauna, all topped off with family-like service.

I don't think we have had a better romantic holiday than this and I am struggling to imagine how it could be better.

Thank you Kristiina and Marari, we are definitely going to visit you again! and we will be going skiing too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Alexandra A
Northampton
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked the igloo via our tour operator while in the UK. We were picked up from our hotel at 7pm (had time for dinner first) A short minibus transfer (20 minutes) and you arrive at your igloo (only 4 at the moment). Small but really well laid out, nice bathroom with state of the art shower as well as a small kitchenette with hob, fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster. Breakfast is provided, left in the fridge for you to prepare yourself, the breakfast was adequate. Also tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the room.
The bed is electrically controlled, so you can get a perfect view of the night sky, and if you are lucky the northern lights (we were!!).
A couple of chairs and a table at the foot of the bed to sit and relax. There is a CD player in the igloo, the only toiletries supplier was soap.
We were picked up at 10am for return to the hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Andy123Northampton
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We booked our stay at the Igloos via Inghams as part of our honeymoon. It is very expensive, but was worth the money.

As with all Inghams excursions, we were allocated a pick up time from our hotel to be taken to the igloo. Our pick up was 1900, which I thought was far too late. Considering it cost 400eur for 1 night, I wanted as much time there as possible (we were picked up at 1000 the next morning). I did ask Inghams for an earlier transfer, but as another couple also had an igloo booked, they wouldn’t move the transfer time for us. In the end, we paid the 20eur for a taxi ourselves and got there at about 1700. The other Inghams guests arrived at about 1930.

Going early was the right idea. The igloo had snow & ice on the windows but, as we arrived before sunset, I was able to clear the snow to get a better look at the view. We also had time to have dinner before it got dark and all the action started.

The igloo itself is idyllic luxury. Yes, it's in the middle of nowhere, but that's the point. It's quiet, romantic & you feel like you're the only people there. Whilst I did enjoy this, I’ve seen one too many horror movies and did feel a little vulnerable at times!

There is a small kitchen which we prepared a 3 course meal in and very high tech bathroom. Hot water is limited, but what do you expect in an outhouse up a mountain? The mechanical beds are great fun & very comfortable.

There are some points that could be done better and some things that I think cheapen the experience. 1 of these is the breakfast. Very lacklustre and doesn’t complement the price tag. No shower gel in the shower, just empty containers that look like they've never been used. The miniature bottle of cava in the fridge. Nice touch, but would a full sized bottle cost much more? These are only small points, would cost so little to fix and would really improve that feeling of luxury.

This trip is expensive, but we were so so lucky to see the most spectacular show of Northern Lights which made it worth every penny.

The lights came out about 2100. Faintly at first and getting progressively stronger. These igloos are not designed for sleep, so fill up on caffeine, get the bed in to the right position and soak up the views. From about 2100 til midnight, the lights were wafting about the sky creating green clouds of dust above our heads.

They then quietened off and just sat in the sky until about 0230. Half awake in a caffeine haze, something caught my attention. We both jumped up and for the next hour we were treated to the most magical, alien & incredible sight I have ever seen.

The lights danced across the sky. Curling, spinning, chasing each other across the sky, splitting off, getting brighter & brighter all the time. Both of us were completely lost for words. I even shed a tear! Words simply can’t express the feeling. This was what we had come to Lapland for. This is what we had paid 400eur to see. I'm so glad I wasn’t asleep! I usually stay away from caffeine but it really was my friend that night!

We were lucky. Out of the 7 nights in Levi, our night in the igloo was the coldest & clearest night of the lot. The lights were also forecast to be 3 (moderate) strength, the highest forecast of the week. God only knows what a 6 or a 9 forecast would be like!

This is a once in a life time expense for most people but to see the lights in such a spectacular way will stay with you forever. And, if you don’t see them, make the most of the views across the frozen valley and have fun with the mechanical bed. Just beware that the neighbours can see in!!

Room Tip: If you want to take pics of the lights, you'll need a pretty decent SLR that allows you to open...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Selbyjake
Manchester
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Stunning location and venue arranged through Inghams. Traveled via a personal taxi. Peaceful , well equipt and luxoriously warm. No northern lights, it was blowing a gale, but we lit a log fire in the Kabutt and had a really great time. The matches are on the right as you walk in and the lights on the left.we used bark as kindling and soon had a roaring flame. Power shower and a small kitchen. The views are unrivelled. A night to be remembered. So glad we booked this and not a night in the ice hotel.

• Stayed January 2013