“Must-see, must-haves”
Review of Arts North

Arts North
Ranked #5 of 9 things to do in Dingwall
Reviewed September 26, 2012

There are lots of gift shops on Cape Breton, most of which are worth a look-see. Take my word for it, though -- Arts North is a stand-out. This shop features many of the Island's most gifted artists and artisans, with enough selection to please anyone who might be on the look out for that extra special birthday or Christmas present.

The quality of goods is extremely high, and the prices are very reasonable. There are traditional offerings, from gorgeous delicately-knit wool socks and hand-painted pottery, to more contemporary silk scarves and smoked reed/alder baskets -- the latter being, for me, a show-stopper and something I will send on to my sister for consideration to carry in her Ottawa-area gift store.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"paintings"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed September 12, 2012

went in last weekend, and me and my family found it very expensive and couldnt afford anything, we wanted small sovieners to take back home to family and freinds but didnt plan on spending all of our money in one spot, also werent even aloud to use the washroom.. i think ill stick with the less expensive shops on our next trip, shops next trip.

1  Thank john w
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We all have our own reasons for travelling. We might just have to get somewhere to take care of something. We may have a need to explore unfamiliar places, to get that adrenalin rush of dealing with the unfamiliar. For me , it was a need to touch something I already felt a kinship with, but had never truly experienced. So I made that jump into that unknown but welcoming comfort zone of Nova Scotia, a place that just felt right to me.
Moving through Nova Scotia, I entered the Cabot Trail, a place of heart-stopping ocean views, kind people, the thrilling twists and turns of cliffs, and a connection to Canada's mysterious coast that I had never imagined. I didn't know how I could ever re-capture this life-changing feeling.
Coming to the conclusion of my journey around the Cape Breton coast, I saw a small, attractive shop called Arts North, and nearly went by, thinking I should keep on moving. But I stopped, and going inside the quiet, welcoming building, saw my memories of the Cabot Trail becoming something I could finally hold on to. The gently-crafted pottery that gives life to water, sand, and the life below; the soft and warmly woven fabrics that felt filled with energy; the understated, ocean-evoking jewelry, all made by the Scota-inspited artists of the area. I wanted to give this magic to my children... if not right now, then in the future. These Cape Breton-crafted jewels can make a traveler glad they have known the joy of seeing Cape Breton, pay tribute to her artists, and yearn to go back. I know I do.

Leslie Arteau
Barrie, Ontario

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went to Arts North while vacationing in Cape Breton. It is a beautiful place with work by local artists. Lots of pottery, jewelry, hook rugs and more, nicely presented-- some really lovely items.. Best of all-- no unoriginal, mass-produced junk. So many places you encounter try to pass off lame China imports. Arts North is legit. There are blurbs about each artist by their work. We purchased some nice pottery and jewelry. Support local artists! The work is unique and it feels good!