“Arts North Gives the Gift of Cape Breton” 5 of 5 bubbles

Arts North
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Dingwall
Barrie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Arts North Gives the Gift of Cape Breton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We all have our own reasons for travelling. We might just have to get somewhere to take care of something. We may have a need to explore unfamiliar places, to get that adrenalin rush of dealing with the unfamiliar. For me , it was a need to touch something I already felt a kinship with, but had never truly experienced. So I made that jump into that unknown but welcoming comfort zone of Nova Scotia, a place that just felt right to me.
Moving through Nova Scotia, I entered the Cabot Trail, a place of heart-stopping ocean views, kind people, the thrilling twists and turns of cliffs, and a connection to Canada's mysterious coast that I had never imagined. I didn't know how I could ever re-capture this life-changing feeling.
Coming to the conclusion of my journey around the Cape Breton coast, I saw a small, attractive shop called Arts North, and nearly went by, thinking I should keep on moving. But I stopped, and going inside the quiet, welcoming building, saw my memories of the Cabot Trail becoming something I could finally hold on to. The gently-crafted pottery that gives life to water, sand, and the life below; the soft and warmly woven fabrics that felt filled with energy; the understated, ocean-evoking jewelry, all made by the Scota-inspited artists of the area. I wanted to give this magic to my children... if not right now, then in the future. These Cape Breton-crafted jewels can make a traveler glad they have known the joy of seeing Cape Breton, pay tribute to her artists, and yearn to go back. I know I do.

Leslie Arteau
Barrie, Ontario

Visited July 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Gallery For Local Art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went to Arts North while vacationing in Cape Breton. It is a beautiful place with work by local artists. Lots of pottery, jewelry, hook rugs and more, nicely presented-- some really lovely items.. Best of all-- no unoriginal, mass-produced junk. So many places you encounter try to pass off lame China imports. Arts North is legit. There are blurbs about each artist by their work. We purchased some nice pottery and jewelry. Support local artists! The work is unique and it feels good!

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great crafts and well-priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

This store was a real gem - many artists' works on display from all over. From fabrics to pottery to outerwear to jewelry to clothing. Highly recommended!

HEBRON
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Arts North - One Cabot Trail Stop = Art & Craft Work From Many Juried Cape Breton Artists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We visited Arts North during our trip to Cape Breton in early August; attracted by the fact that the store only retails art and craft work done by juried artists living on Cape Breton Island. We weren't disappointed! We found wonderful pottery with Cape Breton environmental themes, wonderful wooden cutting boards, jewelry made from hammered silver and beach glass, whales carved from driftwood, hooked rugs depicting scenes of Cape Breton, weaving, knitting, intricate quilts and silk scarves.

Even the building was designed by artists, and the whole display shows attention to design and a love of Cape Breton. The artists who produce this collection are extremely talented. We took home two pottery bowls ("moose" and "whale" themes) for ourselves and jewelry and a cutting board for gifts. If we ever return to Cape Breton this will be a stop at the top of our list.