“Relaxing ride, stunning scenery”
Review of Eagle North Kayak

Eagle North Kayak
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Dingwall
Farmington Hills, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Relaxing ride, stunning scenery”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I’ve never dealt with a travel company that provides more equipment for its customers than Eagle North—they really do look out for your safety and comfort. The kayaks are sturdy and the ride is nice. If you’re a beginner, it’s pretty smooth paddling; if you’re an expert, you can still marvel at the scenery.

Jen really wants you to get your money’s worth. Once you’re on the water she’ll alert you if a pileated woodpecker flies overhead, or show you the cliff side where the kingfishers are nesting. When you reach North Harbour Beach, she sets out an informal picnic of herbal tea, cookies, fruit, and jellybeans, and tells you the story of a 1975 shipwreck that happened just offshore, and how it is connected to her family. If the ocean’s too rough she leaves it up to you—she’ll take you out for ten or fifteen minutes if you wish. One kayaker obliged. I stayed behind to search for a piping plover, which Jen said were nesting along the beach. I did see one—and since I’m slowly getting into birding, this was a highlight for me.

If you’re looking for a spine-tingling ride down the rapids, this isn’t it. But if you want a relaxing paddle while enjoying one of the beautiful bends of the northern part of Cape Breton Island—and learning a bit about the area as you go—then this is for you. Driving the Cabot Trail is a definite must-do, as is hiking a few of the National Park’s trails (Jen will even recommend the best ones). But it was also great to get out on an isolated body of water and see the coastline of Nova Scotia from a perspective you don't get on the postcards. Looking back, the kayak trip was almost as memorable as hiking the Skyline Trail—high praise indeed.

1 Thank Matthew M

Oakton, VA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not just kayaks! Bicycles, too.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I found Eagle North/Sea Spray after some serious web searching for bicycle rentals for our trip to the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Highlands NP area and am glad I found it. Jen was great to work with and very responsive to email and phone calls. The bike rentals included a rack for our rental car, a toolkit and tube and bungees and the cost was extremely reasonable. She even included a set of hiking poles for us so we didn't have to check luggage to bring ours. Her recommendation for our first ride from her and Michael's home/business was to follow the road out front to the beach at the end of it, which was great advice. It is a fantastic place and very uncrowded. We named it "Jen's Beach". She also helped us with getting dinner reservations at the Markland, which was a plus with the staff there, and was one of the best meals we had while in Nova Scotia.

Just remember there really isn't any "easy" bicycling on Cape Breton in my view. What is considered moderate or easy by local standards, can still be a bit challenging. The views and experience are well worth the effort, though.

Visited July 2013
“Just wonderful”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I did a 2 hour kayaking by ourselves in a 2 persons kayak. Just wonderful experience! Despite a cloudy day, the scebary was just spelendid. Mike (the owner) was more than helpful and so friendly.

I was quite nervous at the beginning as it was our first time kayaking plus neither us knows how to swim.. Mike took time explaining to us how to maneuver the kayaka and where to go near the shore. unfortunately mike broke his leg and was having a hard time walking and had to watch us afar from the shore - he kept a watchful eye until he's sure we knew what what we were doing. Also, it was our first time to cape Breton and did not have a lot of "successful" planning ahead. Mike spent 15 minutes after the kayaking circling out places in a map showing us where to go, what to see, all is so friendly and gave us have us heart felt warmth.

Highly recommend! We will visit youagain Mike if we are ever back to cape Breton again.

Guelph, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

What an awesome trip. I signed up for a half-day tour and was so pleased with everything. It was easy to make the booking (phone or email) and the owners (Michael and Jen) are very attentive, happy and helpful (I used a recommendation from their website to find my B&B - Country Haven - also awesome!). I have been kayaking a couple of times before but was really glad to have Jen as a guide. She is very easy-going, yet safety and comfort conscious the entire time. She is very knowledgeable and has some excellent stories to tell her paddlers. I was really impressed with the gear they supplied - great kayaks, spray skirts (or spray decks :)), and even paddling jackets and a variety of dry bags. It was so helpful to have these items available. And yep the cookies, cherries, candy and tea on the beach - with a sea on in the background for the story - were all icing on the cake. I really can't wait to come back and if you ever thought you might like to try kayaking or you are an experienced paddler this is the place to go!

Hanover, New Hampshire, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Sea kayaking”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I took a half day kayak tour with this family run company. It was positively the best. Jen is the wife and she obviously loves what she does. She was so informative, supportive and just a genuine delight. It was a terrific tour and we highly recommend it.