“Ti Kaye Village - Look no further!!!”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed October 7, 2004

It’s hard to find a beginning point or even say anything different than previous reviews, but I just have to express my delight in Ti Kaye. My wife, then fiancée, entrusted me with finding the perfect honeymoon locale. I searched all over the Caribbean, and Ti Kaye just seemed to stick out, calling my name. I was very nervous at first about my choice, even though I was intimately familiar with the resort thanks to Trip Advisor. No matter the reviews, I still had to see and experience Ti Kaye before I would be satisfied. Man, was I satisfied!

Although our stay was short, Sept 27 – Oct 1, we made the most of our honeymoon. My wife and I stayed in cottage F, or Fenyan which means “lazy” in the native Creole patois. It’s an ocean-view cottage, but I saw no need in being any closer to the water because our view was stunning. No need for the plunge pool either, since I can’t think of a time when we’d have used it. I was also pleased with the accommodations. Although quaint, just exactly what we wanted.

And the food at Ti Kaye, it is absolutely wonderful. Breakfast each morning offers something for everyone. But if you care to partake in something native, you should try the St. Lucian breakfast. Lunch was always good too. The baguettes are yummy but my favorite had to be the chicken curry roti. Now on to dinner. It was no less than 5 stars. Offering a different menu each night, seafood, chicken, beef, even the monthly full moon BBQ buffet, they were all marvelous. And let me say the desserts are wonderful as well. A word of advice though, we saw no need for a meal plan and we had 3 courses almost every night. We exceeded the cost once and it was only by a couple of dollars.

As for activities, there is plenty to do. My wife and I just chose to relax and be lazy, like our cottage implied. Mostly we laid on the beach and enjoyed ourselves. We did take advantage of the wonderful snorkeling around the resort though. We even took a trip to the sanctuary near Soufriere and the Pitons with a couple of divers. My wife had never been and loved every minute. We also did the sunset cruise on Wednesday night. It was decent, but you can’t help Mother Nature covering the sunset with thunderclouds.

The staff at Ti Kaye is excellent. I hate to single anyone out, but Theresa, Sandy, Stella, Cleus, William, and Terroll really made our stay enjoyable and definitely memorable. You’ll have to visit the beach bar and have Cleus or Terroll make you a Green Tree Frog. There’s a little dispute over which of them invented the frozen libation, but both make it equally well. Also, say hello to Emil, aka Rock Bottom, when you're at the beach. He’s one of the locals, very pleasant, and always ready to assist you in whatever you need at the beach, no hassling at all. One afternoon rain shower, we got stuck down at the beach, so we sat under the roof of the beach bar/dive shop until it had passed. Rock came over and brought some fresh coconut and shared it with us while we waited. What a kind gesture!

All in all, I am extremely pleased with my choice in honeymoon destinations, and I know my wife feels the same. Ti Kaye was exactly what we were looking for and more. Just enough to get away, yet enough to keep you dazzled the whole time. We are already trying to figure out when we will return! Take my advice and don’t sweat the small stuff. If you choose Ti Kaye, you will not regret your decision!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Washington, DC
Reviewed October 4, 2004

First of all my wife and I have to commend all St. Lucians we met for their friendliness. They are such warm and welcoming people and made our stay really special. The only problem we had was the hotel. As a matter of fact, we booked this hotel because of all the good reviews on tripadvisor. However when we came there a complete different picture was presented to us. First of all it takes ages until you get there. We first came from the international airport, which first takes you to Castries after an over hour drive and when we actually thought that we are almost there, we ended up driving another 40 minutes, since the hotel is nowhere near Castries or the wonderful beaches north of this island. When we came of the main road to the hotel access road, we finally got really sick. It is an extremely bumpy ride and having arrived there almost after sunset, we thought the driver was not for real when he took us up and down into the bush. When we were taken to our cottage, we were so exhausted and were only able to do anything, just to crash in our beds. Well, we thought the worst part was over with the transfer and were looking forward to a relaxing holiday. Next morning we got up and believe it or not, my wife and I woke up and counted 63 mosquito bites in between us. Well, you can imagine, what we did for the remainder of the day. Look for anti-itch and spend the day scratching ourselves crazy, certainly not thinking of going to the beach with numerous red spots all over our legs and arms, which by the way was one of the worst I have ever been, black hot sand, unable to walk on mid-day, noisy catermarans with tons of groups passing for snorkeling. The rest of the holiday was really just a nuisance. We normally do not like to complain, but really this time, we thought, we were taken for a ride with reading all these positive reviews. The cottages are not really something special. Just a room with a four poster in the middle, open shower, terrace with hammock and tons of animals and bugs. There is nothing to do besides sitting in the same one and only hotel restaurant every evening, which seems a bit dull and for anything else you need to take an at least 45 min taxi ride, which is by the way not really cheap as well.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2004

I cannot EVEN believe the negative review that was just written. It's similar to the March 2004 review that was written by the woman from the UK who told the staff how nice they were ... THEN turned around and stabbed them in the back with a nasty online review. You both should have went to NY City and not wasted your money visiting St. Lucia. Obviously, NO-ONE can make you happy. Thankfully, the other 60+ reviews are positive ones (tell you something about yourself?)
We came to Ti Kaye to relax, get away from all the stress, and to enjoy the quiet, peaceful serenity of the most ulitimate paradise, hillside, ocean-front village that has ever been experienced by us.
Our lives are extremely stressful and busy, so, we appreciate being able to find such a gorgeous and exotic natural Wonderland. We made friends with several wonderful people from Switzerland, Germany, Holland, and England ... as well as others from the US. ALL reinforced that this was the best and most relaxing place they ever had ventured to explore.
My new wife and I spent our entire 8 days in total seclusion. This is a lovers paradise where you will want to stay and never leave. The owner (Nicholaus) and manager (Jeanine) were very personable, as were all the staff. Cleus does the BEST mango marguerita's ... and who can possibly forget Theresa with her beautiful, warm smile. Rina, Cheryl, Rose ... all were the friendliest, nicest attendants anyone could ask for.
Everyone went on the Friday night seafood bash in Castries, however, since our luggage was lost by the airlines, Sidney prepared a world-class personal and special dinner designed for our individual needs because he knew we had no clothes to wear to the seafood feast. He has prepared fine meals for those of the likes of Pavarotti. It made us feel like royalty being personally served by he and his staff.
If you come to Ti Kaye to carouse, pick up chicks, or party ... this is not the place you want to be. Sandals is 10 miles down the road and they have hamburgers, as well. You may even be able to swing a Coney Island hot dog and pick up a Budweiser beer and get drunk.
To all the great people at Ti Kaye: Thank you SO much for everything and we will see you again on our next anniversary ... sooner, if possible. You were SOOO very good to us. Sincerely, Jack and Laurie

• Stayed: September 2004
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Unlike the previous review, I think the secluded location of TiKaye is what makes it so special. My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at TiKaye in August & loved every minute of it. We couldn't have chosen a better place to stay in St. Lucia or any other island for that matter. I've searched for other resorts, and none compare to TiKaye. We stayed in one of the cottages with a plunge pool. It was great! We loved the furnishings, garden shower, big porch with rocking chairs & double hammock, THE VIEW of the beautiful cove, the privacy, the sounds of nature at night. The beach, kayaking & the snorkeling was fantastic! The list goes on & on... One day we had the use of a jeep for a day and drove to Soufriere. There were many beautiful views along the way which made the drive worth it. We stopped at a couple of resorts just to compare & were so happy that we were staying at TiKaye. We hope to go back to TiKaye again very soon.

• Stayed: August 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Now I know for a fact that the owner (nice, quiet bloke) painstakingly reads every one of these reviews and bursts into floods of tears at the very mention of words like 'kettle' so I'll try and raise his spirits from the 1/5 rating he just read.

We stayed at 3 different places this holiday in St.Lucia, including Sandal's flagship, the Grand at Pigeon point. In terms of relaxation, quality of food, service, standard of rooms, value for money, and clientele, Ti Kaye outshone everything.

The beauty of Ti Kaye is that each room is more a small house. You get this fantastic veranda overlooking the sea below which is almost as big as the substantial room (No TV, which really benefits the holiday trust me!). The room leads into a very romantic secluded rock garden with monsoon shower. All fittings are new and stylish, not ostentatious.

Ti Kaye staff are like a big family. They've got an incredible team that clearly loves working there. The food is really good, the beach is darkish sand, but you get used to that, and it's secluded. Don't go there if you want a club 18-30, but do go there if you want to relax.

You have plenty of opportunity to visit the local areas too by boat, but you find more often than not, other parties coming by boat to visit our lovely bay to snorkel and wish they were staying there.

Special thanks goes to Terol at the beach diving shop and bar. When he heard that my girlfriend had returned to St. Lucia after 20 years being away (she grew up there), before we knew it he's phoned the DJ on the local Radio Station who dedicates the next song to her and told her reunion story over the airwaves! (Talk about going the extra mile!)

We look forward to returning for Teresa’s smile too, which stretches from the Pitons to Pigeon Point! And thanks all the others whose names escape.

We've also met a lot of nice people who stayed there too. We'll be coming back. I much prefer to pay for things as I get them. For example, in the Sandals all inclusive Grand, when you got a Cocktail, you got a plastic cup with red slush from an shush dispenser poured over watery rum.

At Ti Kaye you get the proper thing served in a frosted glass... and you'll find no buffet, just top rate a la carte. Breakfast is free, and really good.

Go there is my conclusion.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2004

TiKaye is O.K nothing to rave about. The rooms are just a bed and a small fridge...thats it...the resort itself has little to do but go to the beach and eat. My issue with TiKaye is that it is in this far out place and you have no choice but to stay there. Its so expensive to go to see all the attractions in Soufriere, the volcano, waterfall, rain forest snorkeling, Pitons etc, when i got to soufriere i wanted to just stay there. It is sooo beautiful. I felt like I had made the worst choice of my life...I guess i should have researched a little more but it did say it was in Castries. I can assure you it is not !!! very misleading. It is south of anselaraye, half way to soufriere. There are no other restaurants to eat at unless you pay $50 to go to soufriere or castries. Its location is one of the worst with regards to proximity to other restaurants and attractions. Staff and management are fine and the food is o.k....i just wished i had stayed in Soufriere so i could enjoy more of what this island had to offer!!

9  Thank Coby
Jacksonville, FL.
Reviewed September 20, 2004

When the taxi first turned off the main road and plunged, with typical St. Lucian enthusiasm, down the hair raising trail that leads to the resort, my first though was "Dear God, what have I got us into". However all such thoughts evaporated the moment we arrived at the hotel and were made very welcome by Rina and a very commendable rum punch.
Fully refreshed we were accompanied to our cottage "Estale" where further delights awaited us... a bed covered with tropical blooms, the garden shower and a veranda replete with hammock, comfortable patio furniture and spectacular views of the ocean (and about 3 dozen extremely friendly finches that will eat appropriate bird nosh out of your hand and anything else that happens to be laying around...)

It only got better.. memorable sunsets and meals at the Kai Manje restaurant, sampling very creative mixology at the bar laced with some of the best espresso anywhere.. negotiating the stairs down to the beach and bay (Anse Cochon) where we pootled about on the hotel's kayaks.

On the few occasions we ventured from the hotel we sampled Castries (disappointing), the Land and Sea tour (spectacular, especially the Botanical Gardens), the restaurant at Ladera (awesome view, decent food) and rented a Jeep for a couple of days through the hotel. While driving repeat the "Keep to the Left" mantra very frequently. With the exception of a 3 mile paved stretch the road south of Soufriere is atrocious !

The Friday Sea Food bash at the local village of Anse La Raye should be mandatory, not optional. We had a blast and enjoyed some really delicious and very affordable seafood washed down with appropriate quantities of rum !

Tips for your visit.... US$ are accepted everywhere... Deet doesn't stop the mosquitoes however the Citronella based lotion in the hotel shop does.. take plenty of clothes, there isn't a guest laundry.. wear flip-flops on the beach otherwise you'll burn your feet on the sand.

Above all, the extraordinary hospitality of the staff of the hotel made this the most memorable vacation and will guarantee our return. Our Sincerest Thanks go to all of them.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!