“Best holiday ever ... almost”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
London, United Kingdom
“Best holiday ever ... almost”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Irritatingly close to perfection, but not quite there.
My wife and I are simple folk, not greatly desirous of fawning service and spotless surroundings.What we did want was peace and quiet, good food, friendly people around us.
We found a friendly (if somewhat forced) greeting, a simple room, with a very comfortable bed, and excellent food and drink.
For the benefit of English readers, our room had a Kettle!!! (see photo).Tea bags (Twinings), milk, sugar and ground coffee was also provided.

Service on the first couple of days was a bit island-y. Once the guys and girls realised we were going to be around for a few days (not just a five-day long weekend), however, they seemed to open up, and while we might have arrived as rich European customers, I like to think that for some at least we left as friends.
Wine tasting - superb (as everybody else has said - the only problem now is that my wife has gained a taste for decent wines instead of her usual Asda special offer plonk - that will cost me!)
Land and Sea Tour - excellent (I think our driver made that one for us)
Scuba diving: good but not outstanding dive sites (see my review of Island Divers). Great service from the shop and the boat crew though.
Beach is not the best, but uncrowded and the vendors were good fun. Unlike others we didn't find the catamarans intrusive in the slightest.
Pool (up the 166 stairs): relaxed and empty.
Beach bar (down the 166 stairs): slow service but good food and cold beers (once we had enough ice in the bucket).
Upstairs bar: quiet and lacking in atmosphere - even for Happy Hour. (and the beers weren't that cold).
Food: great - the evening meals were simple food, but well cooked and beautifully presented. For lunch we stuck with a routine of quesadillas, tacos and wraps... didn't try the burgers etc. Breakfast: varying fruit, varying pastries and breads - cannot understand the comments form other about lack of variety. Plenty of options to order cooked stuff if desired (we didn't).
Wine: superb selection and good recommendations from the wine waiters.
The local fish fry street party was fun to visit, and the food there was good. Also nice to meet some non-Ti Kaye folk after a week of seclusion.

I won't deny it: there were a couple of service delivery errors, that caused annoyance, but they were resolved soon enough. Shouldn't have happened in the first place though: I put both down to miscommunication.
The rooms are not the cleanest in the world - the design doesn't keep out the gekkos and birds, and we did have a visit from some furry friends on the last night: but that certainly didn't spoil the experience for us in the slightest.
The outside shower I would describe as workmanlike rather than romantic. Interesting when we had a rain shower as I was washing my hair though.

Would we go back - damned right we would. If there was one simple thing we would change though, it would be to get the beer colder before serving it!

2 Thank ChrisBarnett
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Hi Chris (easy name to remember),

Thanks for your speedy reviews (including the one on Island Divers). I'll take your subject title and first line as a compliment ... as it means we have something to strive towards :-)

Great to read that your room had everything you needed (Sarah is the coffee lady, hence the French Press and I'm the tea boy - as such).

As I just typed in another reply, we obviously need to still do some work on our service, as I'm not happy with the word 'slow' in there. Thanks for brining it up.

Thanks also for mentioned the continental breakfast (included in the room rate) 'plenty of options', it's something we have worked hard on .. and is one of the biggest and most varied included continental breakfasts (for a resort of our size) I personally have come across in many other resorts, both in Saint Lucia and in fact worldwide.

Apologies about the service delivery errors, and as we discussed they should not occur again (all things to help us improve though Chris). I'll check your room as well because the 'cleanliness' comment is not one we get often and is unusual for us.

We'll make sure your beers are so cold they stick to your hand when you return! If you afford to that is, what with your wife now demanding decent wines after experiencing our 600 bin wine cellar :-)

General Managers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed for five days as a couple to celebrate our 16th anniversary. Almost everyone else there appeared to be newlyweds. The prior reviews are very accurate. The rooms are amazing -- we had absolutely no bugs in our room and it was clean. It never rained during our entire stay. The steps to the beach were not as bad as others describe -- the stairs are actually very scenic and quite easy if you are in shape. The beach is awesome and snorkelling was great. We only left the resort twice -- once to zip line and another time for the land and sea tour. We were a little shocked by the poverty levels in St. Lucia, so we were actually glad to stay at a remote resort. The drivers were very knowledge and friendly. So were the waitresses at the restaurant. They would do whatever they could to accomodate us. The resort was almost exactly what we expected -- we had picked it for three reasons (outdoor shower, kayaking, snorkeling).

Highlights were the room, kayaking to private beaches (2-3 south of the resort), snorkeling, and the awesome breakfast. And I also can't forget our couples massage -- that was the biggest highlight.

There were only two negatives. There would always be about as many locals (vendors) on the beach as there were guests. They would be there from sunup 'til sundown and constantly want to chat. I think we got to know them better than the guests. The only problem is we wanted to be left alone. The second negative was the lunch and dinner. The options were very limited and although the food was good, it was priced twice as much as it should have been.

In conclusion, the negatives were far outweighed by the positives. We loved the resort, but may not make another trip back to St. Lucia and instead visit another tropical island.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the ocean as possible
1 Thank rr_and_rr
Hello rr_and_rr (Romance & Relaxation at Ti Kaye)!

Happy 16th Anniversary (I think we just had a 20th anniversary couple post a review recently). We do have a lot of honeymooners, but also Anniversary people like yourselves, couples looking to unwind and relax - and we just had a couple come here to open the envelope to find out the sex of their first baby, one of several 'babymooner' couples we get here!

We are a romantic, relaxing, natural resort though - with outdoor showers, kayaking and snorkeling to name a few things (+ the biggest underground wine cave in Saint Lucia with over 600 DIFFERENT bottles of wine)!

Glad that the positives outweighed your two negatives. With regards to lunch and dinner prices, to get the quality we demand we have to import certain food items, on Saint Lucia this is very, very expensive. We 'price-check' ourselves against many other restaurants of our caliber in Saint Lucia and consistently find ourselves to be the best priced. If we cut the price of the food in half, we wouldn't even cover the cost of purchasing and importing it .. yet alone the electricity, gas, cooks, waitresses and many other staff involved in getting the food from where it comes from and into your tummy :-)

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 2, 2014

First, we must apologize for not posting a review closer to our weddingmoon…our only excuse being that we are unorganized newlyweds!!

Ti Kaye…where do I start…

Wedding Destination…we could not have imagined a more perfect, private, personalized place to have our wedding. Ti Kaye itself is difficult to get too and much smaller than many of the other resorts in St Lucia…which is what makes it so perfect! Everything from the planning to the event itself was carefree and relaxing…in other words…no stress. Lita is amazing!! Easy planning via email, legalities simple once we arrived and all scheduled for us…we even planned a shopping trip around the visit to the office. Once the day arrived, it was even more perfect. The day of our wedding was spent relaxing...long breakfast, with French press coffee and mimosas, visit to the spa, back to the room to get ready, Melissa arrived to do magic with my hair, and the breezy walk down to the ceremony. Since we had a destination wedding and only a few guests, Ti Kaye really made us feel welcome and like family. Our friends were made to feel welcome as well and allowed to arrive and depart when they were ready with transportation arranged for them. We had an amazing day and week with the Ti Kaye family! Thank you to all for making our day so wonderful and especially Lita for organizing all the way down to tying and straightening my wedding dress bow, Melissa for my beautiful hair arrangement and her wonderful stories, Teresa for my amazing nails and her sweet nature, and Dwight for the champagne toast and for sharing the cork tradition…we will never forget you…the best to all of you and your families!

Day to day….RELAXING…this is the perfect spot for relaxation and romance. It is not crowded, you always have a great spot for breakfast, and lunch and dinner…no rush, no one replacing you at your table…come and go whenever you feel! At most, we saw 10 couples during the week we were there. It is perfect. The SPA…Yvonne and Teresa…I can’t say enough. They are amazing professionals and so personable at the same time. I loved visiting the spa and would highly recommend one or many visits to all! I had a massage and scrub while I was there…both services were amazing in and of themselves…than you add the setting and it can’t be beat! Completely open to the Caribbean with perfect temperatures…I never wanted to leave. Excursions….Ti Kaye gets an A+ rating on this as well. Personalized and out of the box. They worked with us to completely personalize an excursion with friends at another resort…this was completely unexpected and one of many reasons I would return again and again. They really want your vacation to be the perfect escape!!

Foodie…fantastic….no complaints…we enjoyed every meal and every bottle of wine. We did not go with the all-inclusive and this worked out best for us because we do like to enjoy wine. We also tend to eat a little lighter at breakfast and dinner and splurged in the evenings. All meals were amazing. We also love to hike and be active on vacations so this vacation it was really nice to wake up casually and take your time at breakfast…the view isn’t something you will want to leave…Cleus wine suggestions were wonderful and we really enjoyed his company.

Room…Bobol…interesting story…we were feeling quite romantic on the night we arrived and I decided to order a drink in the name of our lovely cottage…great drink...just needed to know the meaning to end the perfect night…haha! Loved it…look up the creole meaning of Bobol! : ) This cottage had the most AMAZING view. I’m sure they all do…but not having seen them…I can only rave about Bobol! Open air room and outdoor shower…wonderful experience. This really is the best location with perfect temperatures.
Beach…lovely…public…but not overcrowded which made it seem like our own private beach. Snorkeling was fun and lots to see…a definite “plus” to have it available to you on your resort and not an excursion that takes you away from paradise!!

To end this review, I must say that this was the most fantastic vacation and weddingmoon. Yes, I’m sure having been a weddingmoon that we were somewhat on cloud nine…but I must say that both my new husband and I have and do travel extensively and rarely write reviews. We should be better at that because we most certainly read plenty when planning all vacations. With all that said, this is truly how much we believe in Ti Kaye and the experience they offer. Wonderful vacation and memories that will never be forgotten.

Room Tip: Bobol...wonderful room and VIEW...can't beat it!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JennLynn2014
Hi JennLynn2014,

'WeddingMoon' - I like it!

No need for apologies - we really appreciate all reviews, whenever they get posted (TripAdvisor allows you 12 months). The fact that you took the time to post yours 5 months after your visit obviously means that you are still thinking of us (... and are planning a return visit for your anniversary maybe....)?

Thanks for the amazing details, and the staff shout-outs! Lita (and several others) work very hard behind the scenes to ensure all goes well on your wedding day.

We'll keep Bobol free for you next time you feel ... romantic!

Kind regards,

Chris, Sarah - and your wedding team!
Mountville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Happy 20th Anniversary to us - what a wonderful wonderful experience! We really had a hard time leaving! Ti Kaye is a glorious setting with a fantastic staff of really attentive kind people. Perfect exhale -- if you are looking to just rest and be taken care of, this is highly recommended. We couldn't rave enough. Classy, clean, quiet and everything you'd want in a tropical paradise.

The layout of the property makes you feel like you're in your own private retreat - loved the cottage, porch, hammock, view and did you hire those sweet little birds??!! Thank you Chris and Sarah for leading a well-appointed gracious staff and stay!

Our only recommendation would be to skip the rental car and let Ti Kaye take care of you! Just go ahead and pay for airport transfers and excursions without the "stress" of hairpin turns and left side driving.

Room Tip: Our wifi was a little spotty on the top far end of the property (JJ)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear meandb2014,

Yes indeed, 'Happy 20th anniversary', so glad you celebrated it in 'absolute paradise'

All of us would be delighted to take care of you again on your 25th anniversary!

PS. Sorry about the WiFi, I'll check it out as you have a WiFi unit right in front of your room so all should be good. I'll have it fixed for you next time. :-)

All of us here at Ti Kaye
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We went for relaxation and to do nothing - Ti Kaye was perfect. Loved everything about it, even the road in and the steps down to the beach!! The food was incrediably good at both restaurants and I was impressed by the water stations which were provided at the pool and the beach - never had that before. I enjoyed the banter with the beach boys who were trying to sell their wares. Although they might approach you they never pestered you and would leave very quickly if you didn't want to talk. Some of them were facinating.
The only downside perhaps were the visiting boats on the end of the beach by the reef - although most of the time I thought they made good people watching. My sleep was severely disturbed by the tiny tree frogs who were living in our shower. I never knew that such a tiny thing could make such a lot of noise!!!! This was something which was beyond the control of the hotel and my husband slept through them!!
At the end of the day, what made our visit was the Ti Kaye Family. They were all absolutely delightful and couldn't have been more helpful and kind. We came away with fond memories of them all and would be happy to return any time.

Hi Debbie W,

As I say a lot of the time "Ti Kaye does relaxing very well" and as it seems this is why you visited us, we achieved 'perfection'!

We introduced the water stations around the pool and down at the beach partly so as guests do not have to purchase plastic bottled water (as Saint Lucia currently has no real recycling) - and as we have our own desalination plant so make our own water - it seemed logical. Glad to note it's being appreciated.

The local 'wildlife' (especially the Coqui's) can be loud at night, but most people find nature sounds soothing (and it sure beats helicopters and Police sirens). If however you are a light sleeper, earplugs might be handy :-)

Thanks for your review Debbie, we'd be happy to have you back any time.

Kind regards,

Chris, Sarah ... and the Ti Kaye family!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently visited Ti Kaye resort for our honeymoon and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The resort is small with individual cottages, perfect for privacy. From the restaurant overlooking the water, to the private beach, to the amazing cottages, this place is perfect. If you want to stay at a corporate monstrosity with no local feel and a thousand other guests, this place isn't for you. However, if you want an intimate resort with wonderful amenities and staff and a local feel, don't look anywhere else. We cannot say enough good things about the staff of this resort. Everyone from management, front desk, the wait staff, dive shop, boat crews, bartender, sommelier .....everyone was amazing. They were the most friendly people I have ever encountered and we truly thank them for making our trip so amazing. As a general rule, we like to visit new places when we leave the country, but because of the beauty of both St. Lucia and the Ti Kaye resort we are definitely looking forward to a return visit. Again, thanks so much to the entire staff, you are seriously the best around!

1 Thank James S
Hello James,

We greatly appreciate your 'excellent' review, and not only your review, but as I usually say in my little speeches at our complimentary Managers cocktail party on Wednesday evenings, for actually choosing Ti Kaye for your vacation destination.

Delighted to read that you cannot say enough good things about everybody (and apparently everything), so much so that you are looking forward to a return visit. A fantastic achievement especially as you usually like to visit new places.

We would be honored to add you to our (rapidly expanding)! list of return guests.

Frisco, Colorado
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Ti Kaye was all we had hoped it would be for our 10th anniversary! The cottage was romantic, comfortable, well appointed, and perfectly situated for privacy and views. The outdoor shower and hammock were our favorites! Listening to the birds and tree frogs at night was a divine experience as well. From arrival to departure the staff was amazing--friendly and helpful with everything! Dining was excellent and met our picky standards--even the daily continental breakfast offered was a cut above. Entertainment in the evenings was nicely complementary to the meal instead of being too loud. We thoroughly enjoyed the wine tasting--generous pours and great information--they have a gem in their sommelier. The beach was nice with decent snorkeling and the stairs to the beach, although a bit of a hike, was not overwhelming.
The thing that was most impressive, though, was the overall attention to detail throughout the resort-- greeting us by name, pitchers of ice water on the beach, fresh flowers in the room, offset ceiling fans in the cottage to blow into instead of around the bed, citronella candles (although we didn't need them for bugs), the variety of choices at breakfast--everything was so well thought out. We just had to show up and relax! I was greatly impressed and wish we could have stayed much longer. We will return!

Room Tip: We stayed in Estale and it was perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth V
Hi Elizabeth V,

As it happens, 'attention to detail' has been our 2014 focus so your review title is excellent. We have a little way to go still, but it's fantastic to read you noticed, and appreciated it.

We'll continue working on everything and hope to see you again, maybe for longer next time?

Thanks for your review.

#5 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,139 reviews
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!