“Fantastic Destination in St Lucia”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Washington, Dc
“Fantastic Destination in St Lucia”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I took our trip to Ti Kaye in the spring of 2012--yes, I'm a procrastinator--so some of this will be from slightly distant memory. But what memories! We truly loved our experience at Ti Kaye.

Here are two vignettes to highlight why we loved it so much:

First, we arrived in St Lucia to that traveler's cliche, the lost luggage. So we arrived at Ti Kaye with one suitcase between us, minus most of our toiletries and all of my wife's clothing. Ti Kaye provided us with all the toiletries we needed, complements of the house, and then tracked down our luggage for us. The process was as painless as lost luggage on an international trip could be, thanks to the fantastic and attentive staff.

Second, as we were returning from a day excursion, we found ourselves driving down the winding road to Ti Kaye with a chap who turned out to be the resort's wine director. Our car stalled in the heat, and we found ourselves waiting for maybe 20 minutes while the resort sent a replacement car to pick us up. We spent those 20 minutes discussing wine, local plants, and travel with the wine director. Everyone kept apologizing profusely--as if spending 20 minutes in perfectly pleasant conversation was a problem--and we ended up with free cocktails on our return to the resort a short while later. Long story short, the resort staff made sure that a minor inconvenience, which wasn't really an inconvenience at all (we've traveled to some rough places and had some rough experiences), was transformed into a really nice time. They bent over backwards to fix a problem that wasn't even really a problem, so imagine how they'd treat you if something actually went wrong.

So here's what we loved: the views of the sea, the birds and the trees and the natural beauty of the land around the resort, eating dinner in the open air as the sun sets over the Caribbean and every star in the galaxy winks into view overhead, the songs of frogs singing us to sleep, the billions and billions of crystal clear stars of the Milky Way above us as we showered each night, the beautiful little beach and the beautiful snorkeling, the enormously attentive and friendly (legitimately friendly--try having an actual conversation with them!) staff, and the excursions they arranged for us (along with packing us lunches for our day trips). Ti Kaye arranged for us a whale watching trip, and though we didn't see any whales, we spent about 30 minutes with a pod of dolphins that played with our boat--a memory I'll cherish forever.

Here's what I would do differently if I were to visit again: the food at Ti Kaye was fine, but it grew somewhat repetitive over the course of our stay. I say this NOT because the food itself was boring or repetitive--it was wonderful and varied each night and we always had plenty of choices--but because dining with the same chef night after night can always get a bit rote, no matter how good. Ti Kaye is a bit secluded, so while we could have traveled into town to try local food, we never got up the energy to try it. I wish we had! However, I read a review by another traveler, which I wish I had read before our trip, that advised talking to the locals who sell souvenirs on the beach (who are, by the way, never pushy or intrusive) about setting up a local meal. What a fantastic idea! Take advantage of this and give some local flavor a try, just to vary things up a bit.

Here's what I would warn people about: there are a great many stairs between the resort and the beach. This wasn't a problem for me, as I am a fit and vigorous fellow, but was taxing for my wife, who was three months pregnant at the time. I imagine it would be tough for anyone who would have difficulty with lots of stairs.

St Lucia is a gorgeous, gorgeous country, and full of (on average) enormously friendly people who have plenty of interesting stories to tell. We managed to coax from the the driver from Ti Kaye who picked us up at the airport, after he ran through the normal tourist spiel, that he had a daughter studying in New York, that he had never been but hoped to visit, that he loved the countryside and never felt comfortable in the big city of Castries. In other words, a great conversationalist with a very different perspective from ours. Fantastic! The only drawback I can think of, then, for Ti Kaye is that its seclusion makes it a bit harder to get out of the resort and experience local flavor. But the resort has so, so, so much beauty and peace to offer that you could be excused if you don't make it out.

In other words, man, there are plenty of times I wish I was back there right now.

Room Tip: We selected an ocean view room. It was--to put it mildly--spectacular. My wife climbed into the ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew_in_DC
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Hello Andrew in DC,

I know I’ve said it on here before, but I’m always amazed at people who post reviews a year after their stay. I think it just goes to show how much of a (hopefully good) impact Ti Kaye as a whole had on the people staying here. Your detailed review shows that Ti Kaye seems to be ingrained in your mind!

Even though you were here just before Sarah and I joined (although we did stay at Ti Kaye as guests back in 2006 – and also obviously loved it), I’m happy that the staff looked after you. We had a new Chef join us back in October 2012 who has done some amazing things, so hopefully on your return eating for 7 nights in the restaurant won’t get too repetitive (the evening menu changes completely every day for 7 days in a row). On saying that, St. Lucia does have a lot of good food places (including Fish Fry on Friday’s that we shuttle guests to and from if they wish to go).

To update you, the driver who picked you up from the airport was Christian (our Head of Transportation), and he has just returned from a wonderful trip visiting his daughter (who he hadn’t seen in 10 years) in New York – so he did finally get to go.

Thanks also for pointing out that Ti Kaye does have a lot of peace and natural beauty (and we also offer a lot of outside activities if anybody wants to partake). Something that will never change – and hopefully you can see from all the more recent reviews that Sarah and myself just try to enhance.

I hope that all your wishing means that you’ll be back here….?

General Managers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent our honeymoon at Tu Kaye and LOVED every minute. The room (outdoor shower!!), restaurant, beach, employees, wine tasting, massages and snorkel trip were all amazing. We can't wait to get to our 5-year anniversary to go back! This place is truly a gem if you want a quiet, secluded and friendly stay! (Take note: it is SUPER hot there in June!!)

Room Tip: We did not feel the need to stay in a room with a pool, but do suggest not sharing a duplex if you w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bambolea-CA,

Thanks for taking the time to write your short, but concise review. We don’t need long reviews, just a few sentences do the job perfectly.

Glad you enjoyed everything. It’s always a pleasure having guests here who LOVE us! You don’t have to wait for 5 years to come back by the way - we're open all year round ;-)

Minnesota
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Realistically if you are on your honeymoon hopefully anywhere you are would be perfect as loves flourishes and you begin a new life together. Ti Kaye Resort Staff made our wedding and honeymoon a superlatively wonderful experience. Lita in the front office managed our last minute wedding request with great care and expertise. She went out of her way to prepare every detail no matter how small. The arbor arch was prepared so beuatifully on the beach where we asked for our ceremony to be preformed. The staff were all so kind and really made an effort to make our stay so memorable!
Our cottage was beautiful and we loved the double hammock overlooking the sea. Wish we were there now too.
Our sweet housekeeper Marva really made our wedding night room a beautiful tropical matrimonial paradise. We love flowers in general and she was so nice to decorate with multiple bunches and single tropical petals everywhere in our cottage.
Terry the beach concierge was helpful and made you always feel welcome and gave you great local inside info. We didn't meet the GM until late in the week but Chris was genuine and cared a great deal that we were having the best time. The main dining staff were all so friendly and prompt. Their service was excellent!
Additionally, The Sommelier Mr. Cleus gave us a personalized wine tasting that was the best anywhere from Napa to Bordeaux!! We had so much fun and learned great things as well. The final jewel in the crown of this spectacular resort was the food. Chef Bill is amazing with his culinary talent! We had approximately 14 meals and they were all outstanding, not one bad or questionable dish, unrivaled in all of our travels. We loved the array and preparation of the fresh local seafood. We dont know when but we will return to this Caribbean Jewel!!

1 Thank Sublimaze
Hello Sublimaze,

Thank you for you kind review (and brilliant review title)! Lita is our Front Office Manager (who also does weddings, along with Ingrid) and does a fantastic job of arranging everything so you don’t have to. Marva (and the rest of the housekeeping team) is, like all St. Lucian’s, helpful and caring and always willing to go the extra mile to make guests really enjoy their vacation – or wedding and honeymoon in your case. Beach dude Terry is never without a smile and Cleus never ceases to amaze.

Thanks for mentioning Chef Bill. He and the rest of his culinary team are always ‘back of house’ (apart from Wednesday’s when they come out for the Creole buffet night) but provide one of the most critical and important parts of a vacation – your food.

Sorry I didn’t get to meet you earlier in the week. Believe it or not even in paradise things get a little hectic and I get stuck in the office.

We look forward to seeing you again in our ‘Caribbean Jewel’.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 5 nights at Ti Kaye and had an amazing time. It all started with Andrew our driver when we arrived in St. Lucia as he made the 90 minute drive from the airport to the resort a very pleasant experience. From stopping to take pictures to letting us stop for water and snacks his level of service as outstanding. Once we arrived at the resort we were greeted by Lita (Reservations) and Sarah(GM) while we relaxed on a couch overlooking the ocean. Both ladies are exceptional in what they do and I highly advise getting know them once you arrive at the resort. This is the kind of exceptional service that sets Ti Kaye apart from other resorts with the personalized service. Words cannot describe the view from the main reception/dining area, it simply needs to be seen to be appreciated. Yes, the resort is isolated but, that was a very big plus in our book as we wanted to get away from the daily stresses of work and not deal with the hustle of a traditional "tourist" resort.

Our "Le Cottage" was room D and had a fantastic view of the ocean. We enjoyed laying out on the hammock each night and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean an tree frogs. The cottage was clean and simple. No television set which, was enjoyable as this is a place to truly come to unwind. There is free Wi-Fi should you have the need to check e-mail or, post what a fun time you are having on Facebook. The outdoor shower was a fun experience each day to say the least. If it rains, no worries, your outside getting soaked anyway! All the rooms have an AC unit should you get too hot and want to "close up" the shutters and cool down. The beds have mosquito nets as well to keep the bugs away while you sleep. Keep in mind you are basically in the middle of a jungle so, if things like birds and frogs making noise (or, sometimes visiting your room) bothers you then, this probably isn't the place for you. If your a light sleeper, bring ear plugs and crank up the fan at night and you will do just fine.

While at the resort we enjoyed a number of the tours including snorkeling, land and sea tour, spa, wine tasting. All of these experiences were truly highlights of the trip and the tour guides are truly knowledgeable. Eustice/Lester, Curtis, Mano made the snorkeling tour so much fun, if you enjoy snorkeling or, have never tried it before these guys are a blast to have fun with the whole day. Christian on the land and sea tour was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. This trip is also a "must do" if you want to see the island. His botanical garden portion of the tour was my personal favorite as the gardens were breathtaking. Cleus the Sommelier was so enjoyable and passionate about his craft we couldn't stop raving to the other guests about how much fun we had during the tasting. Finally, the spa was so relaxing overlooking the ocean and the staff did a phenomenal job.

Breakfast is buffet style and most of the food was very good each day. Just be sure and watch out for the birds as they are fearless when it comes to "helping" you with your breakfast. Lunch down by the beach each day was enjoyable and the food was very good. Dinner ranged from good to outstanding depending on the dishes available. Service overall was solid and very friendly. Beware you are on island time so, if your a "type A" person it make take some getting used to. The only potential drawback is that there are only 2 options on the resort for dining unless you rent a car or, taxi. Maybe having a more casual option for dinner would be an option in the future.

We did get to meet Chris our last couple of days and very much enjoyed talking with him at breakfast and appreciated him taking the time to speak with us each day. Truly a professional in every sense of the word. That could be said for the entire staff so, thank you again for a most wonderful time staying at your resort!

Room Tip: We had room D which, was close to the restaurant and beach so, a good choice if you don't want t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mgreeley1
Hi Mgreeley1,

Thanks for your great review. Very happy to read that from the moment you walked out of the airport you had a “most wonderful time”! All our drivers are fantastic (Andrew does get a lot of mentions. I have reminded him to advise when guests stop at the store – not to buy water! Sure, we sell it here if you really must buy ‘plastic’ bottled water … but there’s no need – you can drink it straight out of the tap in your bathroom if you like, and doing that helps stop filling St. Lucia’s landfill sites with pointless plastic bottles).

Thanks also for highlighting what we are; a secluded resort where you can unplug (although we do have free WiFi) and unwind and get away from daily stress. I wouldn’t say we are “in the middle of the jungle” (I’ve been to places that are!) although for all you city folks, it might seem that way – and we do have frogs, geckos, birds etc.

Thanks for mentioning the Island Divers Team as well (who also do some tours), they are ‘stuck down the beach’ (not a bad place to be though) and don’t get mentioned much, although they do a fantastic job and should be utilized more. Wine tasting and our Kai Koko Spa help make Ti Kaye a superb all round resort. Glad you enjoyed the food as well.

We hope to add you to our constantly growing list of repeat guests (of which we have 2 couples here currently, one from last year and one from 5 years ago).

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The interesting thing about Ti Kaye is that most will either love it or hate it. It really is not for everyone give the secluded location. For the short version, my personal take is that on the plus side, it is very secluded with some wonderful amenities. On the negative side, the secluded location means a $100 US cab ride to go anywhere, while the beach reminded me more of a public lake front in the states.

Trying to start out positive, here are some of the best features of Ti Kaye:
+ The staff and management are very friendly and very focused on meeting the guests' needs. The general manager all the way down to the head chef personally stopped and spoke with us. It has the personal feel of a "mom and pop" resort.
+ The rooms are not really rooms. They are individual cottages with a rustic island feel. They are well kept and actually quite elegant. The outdoor shower is one of those aspects that you either love or hate. I personally loved it.
+ The spa, while not large, is one of the most enjoyable I have ever visited. Open floor to ceiling windows overlooking the surf from high on up make it almost impossible to not relax and enjoy the services. If you like spa treatments, do yourself a favor and schedule some time at the spa. You will not be disappointed.
+ I read a number of older reviews that complained about the food. I am happy to report the recently hired chef (6 months prior to our visit) has done an excellent job of turning around the kitchen. Having traveled around the Caribbean to a number of locations, my expectations for food are... well... not very high. What would be considered mediocre elsewhere is sold as fine cuisine on the islands, but I must say that the dinners easily surpassed my expectations.
+ The sommelier is one of the most knowledgable and enthusiastic I have ever met. His wine collection is world-class and surprisingly reasonably priced. If you enjoy wine (and I admit I am very snobby when it comes to wine), do yourself a favor and schedule some time to do a wine tasting.

Next, I've marked some gripes with '*'. Not major complaints, but things that could stand some improvement and more management attention.
* For the love of God, fix the damn road! I've seen farm trails back home growing up that were in better shape. The road coming in cannot be traversed at more than about 5 mph given that the numerous potholes are more than ankle high. Note to Ti Kaye management: you only get one chance to make a first impression. This is something under your control that needs to be a priority.
* One morning while relaxing after breakfast, I was enjoying my time in the hammock ...until grounds crews started coming around with weed eaters. To make matters worse, the crew seemed oblivious to fact I was outside in the hammock. Hearing rocks being thrown against the outside wall while around the other side, I decided it was best to head in. Sure enough, the front porch was pelted with small rocks and would have hit me if I hadn't gone inside. Another note to Ti Kaye management: if you want to be a world-class resort, simple things like ALL employees working around guests is a MUST.
* There are no bathtubs, and the one jacuzzi in the spa can only be used for a fee. With all of the walking, sometimes a long soak for tired muscles is really needed. This is just standard equipment at a resort. And my back certainly needed it by the end of the trip because of the awful mattress, which is a perfect lead in for the major complaints.

Finally the dreaded '-'. These are deal breakers:
- I'm not sure what decade in which the mattress was manufactured, but I would perform the following for the well-being of all future guests: 1. Collect all mattresses from all beds, 2. Pile them together, 3. Douse with a highly flammable substance (any will do), 4. Throw a match on the mattress pile, and 5. Order new mattresses. They were simply terrible. I travel frequently - at least once a month - and can sleep just about anywhere. But by the end of our stay, my back was begging for mercy.
- The beach...ahh yes...the, umm, "beach". How do I describe it? Well, after climbing down what seemed to be an endless flight of stairs (I later counted them and came up with 160-170 steps, depending upon exactly where you start and finish), we found ourself on one of the s***iest looking beaches I have personally ever encountered in the Caribbean. Also, the resort "beach" is not separated from a public access area. This means that any visitor should be prepared for an onslaught of aggressive locals attempting to sell you anything and everything. To add insult to injury, a constant stream of boats came in and out every day. Local fishermen and divers constantly yelling (no idea why all the yelling was necessary) and large tour boats that blared their horns every couple of minutes (again, no idea why other than people here love to use their horns more than a NYC cab driver) made it impossible to relax on the beach. Avoiding it for a few days, I decided I would give it one last shot. No change. Being on our honeymoon, my wife and I just wanted a quiet beach on which to lounge and relax. We pulled the plug on our visit and moved hotels.

I would like to give Ti Kaye a higher rating - I REALLY would. The staff was so friendly and helpful. But the beach experience just made it unacceptable. The potential is there to be a world-class resort, but there is still work to be done.

11 Thank Alexandria90
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Alexandria90,

Thank you very much for posting your honest review, and clearly pointing out something that I have mentioned before, Ti Kaye is “not for everyone”. I don’t think any resort is. Every person is unique and has their own likes and dislikes, whether it’s what style of accommodation they are looking for, what food they like, what type of bed they like (many have raved about our beds, and all are exactly the same type and purchased at the same time). It is impossible in the hospitality industry to satisfy 100% of people 100% of the time. We try on our website to inform people ‘what’ Ti Kaye is about, and websites like TripAdvisor and others further emphasize that.

Even though Ti Kaye was not for you, I really appreciate you taking the time to highlight certain aspects that you thought were positive (some reviewers would not bother), and was delighted to read that you did find somewhere on St. Lucia that was ‘superb’ for you and your wife.

Thank you for your ‘candid’ comment on our road. We have done some work on it, although as I mentioned in a previous reply it is a public road so is only partly under our control. I agree that it is ‘one’ of the first impressions (airport pickup being the other). Deciding where best to spend resort money is a daily calculated decision and although I fully agree that spending 10’s of thousands of dollars fixing a public road would enhance your impression, it is generally only for 20 minutes (10 in and 10 out) of your entire stay with us.

I have spoken to the head groundsman with regards to brush cutting. We do unfortunately have to brush cut (as we are, and try to be, a natural resort so have lots of grass (unlike some other resorts, that are mostly all concrete)) and do so every Monday (a note should be in each room to advise of this). However, they should have been more considerate and at least have advised you that they were about to start in front of your cottage, I apologize for this. With regards to the mattresses, as I mentioned above they were all purchased at the same time and are the same mattress – which a lot of guests comment that they have “never slept so well”. We are looking into mattress tops for guests that prefer a softer mattress, something that we feel would be better to spend resort money on and will enhance a guests stay for longer - instead of spending it on a public road maybe? These are not made in St. Lucia however, so sourcing, purchasing, shipping, importing – all times 33 (as we have 33 rooms) is a huge expense for a resort of our size. I have also previously mentioned that I am working on a few … ‘niggles’ down at the beach. As I mentioned in our discussion before you left, it is not often that these ‘niggles’ happen, but when they do it can detract for making your vacation 100% enjoyable, and we recognize that.

Thank you for noting that there is potential at Ti Kaye to be a ‘world class resort’ (we notice it too) and we are constantly working to improve.

Kind regards.

London
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Secluded resort with beautiful views and a great private beach. Villas are traditional style and clean, with a huge balcony with hammock and table.The bar and restaurant is on the edge of a small cliff with great sunset views, as is the spa. Nice touch was an angled mirror allowing a view of the sea during the massage. Worth visiting Anse la Raye for the local fish Friday 'jump up', a street food festival. Restaurant food was good quality, though small fine dining style portions. The lunch down on the beach was great for pranwns, local fish, and chicken rotis.The road down to the hotel despite recent work is still dreadful, we got a water taxi back to Soufrere.

Room Tip: High up villas have better view of sea.
Hello SimoMovement,

What a great title for your review, I couldn’t agree more. Out of all the island I have worked on (and visited), St. Lucia is one of my favorites (one of the reasons I’m here I guess)?! Thanks for your review (and your separate review on Island Divers, our dive centre down at the beach).

We were able to do a little more work on the road after you left (although it is now as good as it will get). Spending resort money on fixing a public road (as opposed to spending it on improvements at the actual resort that will enhance guest stays for longer than a 10 minute journey down a road) must always be a careful decision. I am hoping to be able to try and do more public road patching each year and not leave it as long next time.

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We agonized on where to spend our honeymoon and finally settled on St. Lucia and Ti Kaye. It seemed like we could get the mix of activities we wanted (snorkel, scuba, beach, touring, ziplining...) but still keep things more intimate and romantic by going to Ti Kaye instead of going to a bigger resort. I read a ton of reviews on here so felt like we were prepared for the experience. Our expectations were surpassed and we could not have been happier with our choice. St Lucia was fantastic and I can't imagine any place better than Ti Kaye.

We opted for an Ocean View room because of budget but I would say I don't think there is a wrong choice on rooms. We were concerned for a moment when we got to our room. We stayed in Toupatoo which is one of the closest rooms to the main resort buildings. We were worried it would be loud and we wouldn't feel private or secluded because it's right off the road through the resort but that was not the case at all. As soon as we walked up to our room, it was like you were transported. All the rooms are screened by the greenery around them. Once we were on our deck, we really didn't notice the road at all. We also hardly noticed any noise from the room next door and there was a family there the first part of our trip and a couple the 2nd part. Overall, we discovered we really liked being so close to the resort buildings so we had immediate access to the pool, restaurant, etc and didn't have to worry about being late for things. Some of the more remote cabins seemed to have a bit of a hike to get to the main building and then if you were going to beach you still had the stairs to traverse. If we were at breakfast and forgot something, it was no biggie to pop back to the room and get it. We also liked that there was AC and turned it on as soon as we got to the room. We kept the windows shut and the AC on the whole time and sleeping was pretty comfortable temp wise. The nature noises at night are something and the frogs are a lot louder than you would expect but that was part of the charm for us! My husband had coffe on the deck with the birds every morning while I slept in a little. The outdoor shower was fantastic-was surprised at how much we loved it! And you feel very private.

We didn't really have trouble with bugs. I sprayed the thresholds every other day with bug spray they keep under your bathroom sink. And we slept with the misquito netting every night. I'm a bug magnet but we had no trouble!

The stairs are as advertised but the beach is worth it. We are both out of shape and we would get winded. Going down is not bad of course but it can be intimidating thinking about the walk back up. However, we found that once we were on the beach, everything you really needed was down there so you really didn't have to go back and forth a lot. There's a bathroom near the beach restaurant and you can pop over to the restaurant for food and drinks or ask the beach waiter for something. Then just take your time walking back up when you do have to go back up. If you really can't handle it there is a driveway that they can access near the beach so you can catch a ride back up to the main building.

Never had trouble getting a beach lounger and you never felt very crowded on the beach. I was worried about leaving our stuff around the loungers while we snorkeled but I was assured by the beach waiter that it would be fine and we didn't have a bit of trouble. The beach vendors can be a bit of a distraction but if you are polite they will be polite. We generally told them we didn't bring money with us to the beach and they would leave us alone. But they do pay attention so the longer you stay at the resort the more aggressive they will become. Might be better just to buy something early on and get it over with, sort of break the ice. But on the other end of that if you buy coconut milk the first day, you will get hit up for that the rest of the trip. So just be warned about that. It wouldn't keep me from going again and it was just a minor annoyance. I think the beach waiter is also stationed down there to make sure no one gets too pushy and to intervene if you need it. Overall I found the guys that work the beach to be very nice and they do give you some local flavor.

I had just gotten my scuba certification so we had our own fins and masks and didn't have to rent equipment. The snorkeling there in the cove is fantastic. We were there 7 days and snorkeled most days. Something new to see every day.

There would be boats come in from other hotels to snorkel and such but it was never any big deal. They mostly stay at the other end of the beach and at it's most crowded it's still not bad. We did take a kayak out our last day and went out to the bouy marking the dive site out from the cove. There is a sunken ship out there for diving. It was so calm and clear we decided to go for it (after we watched another couple do it LOL). We tied off once we got out there and snorkeled and the water was so clear you could see to the bottom of the ocean, around 75 feet at that point! I don't think it's always quite that clear, in fact had been a little murky early on in our trip due to a storm, but it really cleared up to glass by the end of our trip. And even on the murkier days, the snorkeling was awesome!!! We found out when we got back to the shore that the beach waiter had been texting the dive master (Island Divers) about us and they were all keeping an eye on us in case we needed help.

We did a dive trip with Island Divers. For us it was perfect since neither my husband nor I are experienced divers. They provided everything for us and we did two dives with them. It was my first blue water dive and they took good care of me. We did hear complaints from another guest that was a seasoned diver where he was saying it was expensive to dive with Island Divers but we did not find it so. But we also didn't really have our own equipment and weren't looking to make this a dive trip with multiple days of dives. We had just wanted access to diving for a day or two if we wanted it. We ended up diving only one day because there were so many other things we wanted to do but I would dive with them again. They took good care of us. We did one of the packages Ti Kaye offers and the dives were bundled within that. I actually felt like we did well going that route and got a lot for our money. We did the Ti Kaye package and that included the land and sea tour, our two dives, a couples massage (schedule that early so you can get in), wine tasting and breakfast every day, as well as the fish fry and the airport transfers. Beyond our package, we also did a sunset cruise and the zip lining adventure-all great fun!

We found the ride from the airport comfortable and as advertised-it's a bit long and winding but we looked at it as getting a tour of the island! Everyone is so accomadating and they stopped at a grocery store at our request on the way in. We got a case of water and a few snacks just to have some comforts in the room. We also had one of the waiters do some shopping for us and bring it to the resort-they are just so helpful that way. Then when we were headed back from the zip lining tour we mentioned to the driver how we really enjoyed the coconut rum we had gotten to try that day and he stopped at the distillery for us on the way back to the resort so we could buy some! They really do bend over backwards for you. So if there is something you need or want to do, just ask and see what they can do!

The food was great and better than we expected. We did drink bottled water the whole time but decided to ignore the fact that we had ice in our drinks. We really didn't suffer for it either. The only day I had some stomach trouble was after the Friday night fish fry and after you go, you will understand. LOL We did it but we won't feel the need to do that again. We loved the resort so much that I'm not sure we would feel compelled to leave it on the next trip. We did the seafood dinner down in the beach restaurant the night it was offered and it was fabulous. We lingered because we were dreading the walk back up and then realized that they drive you back to your room after dinner so you don't have to walk! That was fantastic!!! We didn't have any money on us so went looking for the gentleman that drove us back to our room on our last day so we could tip him. He ended up being the one that took our bags out of our room so we lucked out. Everyone that works there seems to wear mutiple hats and they are all super friendly. Happy hours were fun, and we did the wine tasting-I would highly recommend the experience. I'm not much of a wine person but my husband is. Surprisingly it was something we both enjoyed and I was able to try and enjoy all the wines! We both felt like we'd gotten a little bit of education and had a great time doing it.

Most of the guests were young, honeymooning couples. We are an older honeymooning couple but still enjoyed socializing with everyone. There was one family there for a bit with some tween children and an older couple celebrating an anniversary as well. The place definately caters much more to couples. You can keep to yourself or not. It was easy to meet people at happy hour and on the beach if you wanted to be social.

We really can't wait to go again. It was paradise! You won't be disappointed if you go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank txagg94
Dear Txagg94,

Thank you for your fantastic, detailed review. To read that your “expectations were surpassed” is an amazing achievement for the whole ‘Ti Kaye family’.

The ‘Coqui’ (tiny frogs) are loud at night but I agree, they are charming – and actually help put me to sleep. Waking up the morning and sitting in your rocking chair on your private balcony sipping your freshly brewed French press coffee (or tea in my case) isn’t a bad way to start the day. I also agree (and advocate) take your time coming back up the beach steps … you are on vacation after all. Our beach ‘dudes’ do keep an eye out for your belongings and will help with beach vendors if you need them too. (Common sense prevails however, please do not take wads of cash or very expensive items down to the beach and leave them on your plush lounger whilst enjoying the beautiful, clear (mostly) warm Caribbean sea, it is after all a public beach).

Glad you enjoyed snorkeling in our ‘cove’, (one of the best in St. Lucia), and thanks for your comments on Island Divers (part of Ti Kaye in fact), we have a great team down there. Happy the drivers (and staff) accommodated your needs as well (they always do). One thing I would like to note (and always do when I read it), please, please do not buy bottled water. We have our own desalination plant so produce our own very, very high quality water that you can just drink straight from any tap on the resort. St. Lucia has no recycling facilities so plastic water bottles just go to landfill – which is obviously very bad. (The ice is also made from our water).

We are very proud that, at times, we have a huge variety of guests (from many counties and spanning various ages) and as long as people do some research and know what to expect, all enjoy themselves immensely. We hope that our guests continue to enjoy Ti Kaye, and St. Lucia, for many years to come.

We hope to see you back in “paradise” soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Cochon
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!