“A trully unique experience.”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Toronto, Canada
“A trully unique experience.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

First, im going to say that this review is LONG overdue. The reason I’m writing it now is that it took me some time to realize how great this place actually was (after travelling to a couple of other places since).
After reading some recent reviews, i see that hotel changed managers and some staff members since we stayed there, but I’ll try to provide some tips and pointers that would still be relevant.

Me and my wife stayed there from May 21st to June 3rd of 2012 for our honeymoon. We got married on May 20th and had 1.5 hours of sleep after our wedding before leaving for the airport to fly to St Lucia. Doing this made our stay at Ti Kaye almost an extension of our wedding ceremony, and we couldn’t be happier about it.

I’m not going to mention all the great and wonderful things about this hotel (as they have been mentioned numerous times in previous reviews), so I’ll just make a few comments that might be helpful to future travelers and some suggestions for the general manager.

- Service was absolutely impeccable. It would take me forever to mention all the instances when staff went out of their way to accommodate us during our 2 week stay. I'll mention one situation which we thought was funny. One night we stayed up until really late (I’ll leave out the details). As a result, we slept in and we were woken up by the knocking on our door at about 11:30AM. Before we were fully awake and realized what was going on, the maid walks in. She sees us in bed, sleeping and goes into panic mode. "Oh my god! Oh my god! Im so sorry!" She started running away from our cottage and kept apologizing along the way. She must've said "I’m sorry" 20 times". It didn’t really bother us, and when we finally left our room i left a tip as usual. She refused to take the tip for the next 3 or 4 days.

-The only real problem we had in this hotel was the party boats arriving a few times a day to our beach. I realize that this isn’t the hotel's fault, and there isn’t much they can do about it, but I’ll still mention it as it was the only major complaint we had. If there was some way to restrict the boat traffic to the beach, it would do wonders to the overall quality of the beach at Ti Kaye. Having said this, it wasn’t a HUGE issue and the beach was still among the best I’ve been to.

- Another issue is lack of affordable food options. When we were there, we didn’t really care about the cost as it was our honeymoon, but it's something that might prevent us from coming back in the future (this came up when we were considering Ti Kaye for our upcoming 1 year anniversary trip).
Although priced reasonably (by North American standards), hotel could include some more affordable options for budget-minded guests. For example, breakfast was $15 per person. It was a good value for somebody who eats a lot, but my wife typically ate 1 egg and some fruits, and paying $15 for that (since it was a flat rate regardless of how much you ate), felt like we were being ripped off. There should be an option to order individual breakfast dishes for people who don’t want the "buffet".
Another example of what hotel could do is to sell some reasonably priced snacks in the gift shop (such as ice cream, fruits, pastries, etc). The fridge in the room is nice, but it’s somewhat useless because you cant really buy any food to put in it within walking distance of the hotel (and its not like you would get a $50 cab to take you to the closest supermarket and back)

- While on the topic of food, i'll mention that the main restaurant dinners were amazingly good. I don’t know how good the new chef is, but i HIGHLY doubt he can top the previous one.
One small complaint was that they only had 7 different dinner menus (one for each day of the week). If you were staying for more than a week (like we were), it got somewhat repetitive (a couple of times i had to order the same dish i had a week before, as i didn’t like the other choices on the menu for that day).

- People complaining about the stairs to the beach should really join a gym or something. Considering that its only a couple of times a day you have to climb the stairs (at most), it would only be an issue for extremely out-of-shape people or possibly elderly people. We have not seen a single elderly guest at the hotel during our stay.

MOST IMPORTANT TIP:
Rent a car! Before coming to St Lucia, everyone seemed to suggest that driving there is something that should be avoided at all costs. This is couldn’t be further from the truth. Unless you're an absolutely horrible driver, you will actually enjoy driving there. It takes literally 10 minutes to get used to driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Yes, the roads are narrow and twisty, but very scenic. You can go at whatever pace you're comfortable driving. I actually thought that driving the twisty mountain roads was extremely fun.
Most importantly, you will save a TON of money by renting a car. It costs about 40-60$ per day to rent it (depending on the car, agency and how many days you're renting for). Parking at the hotel (and everywhere else for that matter) is free. Rental companied will deliver the car to you free of charge, and you can just leave it anywhere when you're done with it. We drove ourselves to the airport when we left, and just left the car there (saving on cab fare). You can also book the car at the airport when you arrive. You will save at least 40-50$ (often much more) per every tour/excursion that you want to do by driving there yourself. You can explore the island, and go to cool places that you wouldn’t be able to visit otherwise. You can drive to the supermarket to stock up on cheap food/alcohol if you feel like it.
Its almost impossible to get lost, as there are only a few roads on the island (except in major cities). Most roads on the island are in good condition.
We recommended to rent a car to a few couples we met at the resort, and they were all skeptical at first ("we heard that driving in St Lucia is dangerous!"). After giving it a try, they were ALL extremely glad that they took our advice.
I think the hotel staff should recommend this to the guests, as it opens up a world of possibilities.

Seeing negative reviews of this hotel makes me wonder if those “people” are actually working for competing hotels, or if they were completely clueless before going there and expected a typical Caribbean resort (which Ti Kaye certainly is not)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Denis Z
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Hi Denis Z,

Thank you for your review. As I mentioned before, it doesn’t matter how long it takes to post a review (although the sooner you do – the sooner I can let the staff know how great they are). As long as you mention when you stayed (which you did), reviews are always helpful to us. Sarah and I joined in July 2012 and Katie (who was the GM during your stay) left in August after almost 5 amazing years. Not only did she ‘Generally Manage’ (as us General Managers do) Ti Kaye, but she also oversaw the building of the new bar (with AMAZING views over the Caribbean Sea) and the superb underground ‘Ti Kave’ 445 bin wine cellar, but she also played a huge part in the (now highly reviewed) Kai Koko Spa.

Funny story about the housekeeper (I found out who it was … I think she was even more mortified when she realized I knew)!

Thanks for your tips on the food and snacks – great minds think alike as they say. We are implementing a new menu in March (still contains some of the great items from the existing menu) and during April we will be able to offer two breakfast options (continental only or a la carte – which will help with costs). Also the Front Office will shortly have (should be by Thursday actually) a snack fridge. Ice cream we can’t do unfortunately, but Chef and his team will be cooking up some of those great local chips to put in there, along with other snack items.

Thanks also for your kind comments on our food. I’ve been here with both Chefs … I think you should come back – you’ll be pleasantly surprised! As for your comments on the 7 day evening menu rotation, some hotels don’t actually rotate at all so you have the same menu every night. 7 days is the industry standard if you’re going to do it and Sarah has worked somewhere that had a 10 day rotational menu. Believe me, this gets very complicated when it comes to purchasing, deliveries etc. so unfortunately we’ll be staying with the 7 day rotation. However, the new Chef has balanced the menus out more so we now offer 5 appetizers, 5 main (at least one fish, one meat and one vegetarian) and 5 dessert options every night, so this will greatly help with your choices if you stay for longer than 7 nights.

If guests ask about a rental car, the Front Office ladies will gladly give advice, and even book it for you and get the car rental company of your choice to deliver it. I agree, a hire car is a great way to explore the island and the roads are not that bad – but driving around St. Lucia is not for everybody. If it’s not, Christian and his team of drivers do a fantastic job of showing you.

As it seems you are undecided whether to return or not, if you’d like to please contact the resort and ask for my personal email address.

Chris Relf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We like to visit a different island and a different resort every year, but we will definitely be back to Ti Kaye. Highlights were the wine tasting with Cleus (superb, as in all the other reviews) and the garden walk with Michele (excellent both for those who garden and those who do not). The garden walk opened our eyes to all of the plants around the property and is a must-do. We had one of the less expensive cottages, without a private plunge pool, and semi-detached from its neighbour. We didn't find this a problem at all and I wouldn't spend the money on a separate cottage, unless maybe I was a honeymooner. The property looks lovely with all of the various plant life, well kept but not too manicured. The beach is superb and the beach "dudes" not problematic. We found them respectful, and although a couple greeted us over the week, they left right away after we indicated politely that we weren't buying. I would not bring children here, because of the steep stairs to the beach (which we like because it helped with our fitness level) and the food which we found to be excellent but not the sort to appeal to children (except perhaps in the beach grill). The seafood was all wonderful.
This is not an "action resort" - it is small, quiet and charming. The staff are warm and friendly to all. The guest are nicely diverse in age and nationality. I can hardly wait to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms can be really quite far from the restaurant and beach. Ask for something in the middle distanc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hamilton86
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi Hamilton86,

Thank you for your very positive review. Wine tasting is always popular whether it’s with Cleus or Dwight. With over 400 different bottles of wine to choose from, you’re sure to find something you’ll like. Once you have you can enjoy it in a ‘charming, natural, relaxing environment’ (thanks for the great description).

Thanks also for mentioning grounds, we only just started the complementary garden walk with our head Grounds man, Mitchel – but it’s been a huge hit already. He and his team also do a superb job at maintaining the grounds, a very difficult task - 15 acres in total. Just a small point to note with regards to your comment about children (to avoid possible future confusion), we only accept children 12 years or older.

We’ll make sure we have plenty of seafood for your return visit…

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I returned from our belated honeymoon at Ti Kaye late last night and feel it’s important to get this review in while it’s still very fresh in our memory. We cannot speak highly enough of EVERYTHING about our experience in St. Lucia in general, and at Ti Kaye specifically.
Most of the positives of Ti Kaye have been discussed and reviewed at great length here. Without going into too much additional detail, you can expect a secluded, quiet, relaxing stay in a natural setting (yes – sometimes including nature itself.) Ti Kaye is exemplary in all of those categories. Do not expect a crowded, boisterous resort environment. Do expect extraordinarily intimate, personalized service and attention.
With regard to some of the things that previous guests have mentioned as con’s, we came away with a wholly different perspective. This was our first visit to St. Lucia, so we cannot compare it to previous visits, but we can absolutely assure a reader here that we enjoyed excellent food and friendly service. Any problems in any category around those appear to have been addressed by Chris and Sarah.
Regarding dining - We believe that it is important to understand that this is a small resort – 33 rooms. Keeping it that small inherently provides greater attention to the guest experience, but does necessarily limit dining options for any given meal, especially considering Ti Kaye’s secluded environment. While each day’s dinner menu changes, any individual day’s dinner menu is necessarily limited, but does provide a fantastic variety across a small number (6’ish) of entrees, plus appetizers and dessert. All of the food that we had was excellent in both preparation and presentation. One small point of advice to future guests regarding wine – Ask for and get to know Cleus very early in your stay. We regret that it took us several days to figure that out. You’ll understand why.
Regarding the beach, catamarans, etc. – One of the charming things about St. Lucia (in our opinion) is that all beaches are public. Chris is working very hard to address some of the disruption that catamarans can cause, but that is a St. Lucian experience, and is not isolated to Ti Kaye. As any given boat is only in the bay for 30-45 minutes, we learned to enjoy watching the different groups that each boat brought. There’s some humor in there. We embraced it. We’d estimate that on the whole, catamarans were present in the harbor less than 10% of the time. Their passengers are instructed to stay away from the Ti Kaye portion of the beach, although they do often walk over and order from Ti Kaye’s beach bar and restaurant (good for Ti Kaye.) Also, we as tourists need to be careful not to expect exclusive experiences in tourist destinations. Tourism comes with tourist territory. After all, we ourselves are tourists there, adding to the whole crowd.
Regarding the beach vendors – This accidentally became the most incredible part of our stay. Rather than shooing them away, we chose to engage them, and found them (Leyan specifically) to be friendly, helpful, and VERY generous. We formed a very strong friendship with Leyan, and can’t speak highly enough of his generosity and friendliness. Showing the vendors genuine respect early on changed our entire stay. But that aspect deserves an entirely separate review. Not enough room here.
We’re very sad to be home. We will be back at Ti Kaye as soon as we can. We came away with an incredible experience and new friendships (Dwight, Ronald, Kim, Tenika, Cleus, Christian, Florina.) Do yourself a favor – Book your stay today! Thanks for everything from you and your staff, Chris!

Room Tip: Plunge pool rooms are worth the extra expense if for their location and ocean views alone. We had C...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J S
Hey guys,

Wow. I can’t really say much. Except, as usual, “thanks”. All the staff (and Management of course) work really hard to make sure all guests enjoy their stay to the fullest. So much so that they don’t want to leave and can’t wait to return. We don’t always succeed, but are delighted when we read reviews such as yours. As previously mentioned these get printed off (with names highlighted) and pinned on our staff canteen notice board so ‘we’ really does mean the whole Ti Kaye family. Dwight, Ronald (aka Bee-boy), Kim, Tanika, Cleus, Christian, Florina – and the rest of us, hope to see you again. In fact, why not “do yourself a favor – book your [return] stay today”!

Kind regards,

Chris, Sarah & the Ti Kaye ‘family’

P.S. Thanks for the photo’s, not sure I’ll be advertising the one of me!
Chicago
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This quaint rustic resort is nestled on the side of a mountain. You have to climb a lot of stairs at this resort but it is worth it. The food is really good quality. You should know that traveling anywhere on the island requires a long bumpy cab ride that will cost between 30-60 US dollars. So plan accordingly. Also if you find yourself at the Ti Kaye beach bar and can't face the 166 stair climb, just ask and they drive you up. I would go back in a minute!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Chicago1Shelly
Hi ChicagoShelly,

Thanks for your brief but descriptive review. Executive Chef William Ryan and his team appreciate your comments about the good food. A lot of guests actually say that the 166 steps up from the beach are needed … so you can work off all the great food you eat!

There are direct flights from many countries to St. Lucia’s International airport (UVF) – so we hope to see you “back in a minute”!

Atlanta
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is my VERY LONG OVERDUE and long trip report and review from November 2012.

We arrived November 26th for a 6 night trip to TiKaye. We have 2 little ones at home, so this was a trip to RELAX and not do much of anything. This was our 5th trip to the island, having stayed at Sandals La Toc twice, Ladera, Body Holiday by LeSport, and one cruise ship visit. We have seen and done a lot on the island, so we were OK to just to sit on the beach for most of this trip.

Spencer Ambrose:
Our airport transfers and one “tour” was by our friend Spencer Ambrose. We are privileged to call him our friend. He has built up quite the reputable tour business in the years that we have known him, and he deserves all of the blessings that come from it. He is so professional, takes his business and reputation very seriously, and gives his guests the best possible experience they can have in St. Lucia. Many times he has drinks for us in his vehicle for our enjoyment. He makes it a point to be the first guide to some of the popular spots (i.e. Jalousie beach break) so that his guests get the best choice of beach chairs. He provides ample food, drinks, his famous rum punch, all included in his fees. I have never met anyone as generous as Spencer. Really! If anyone is trying to plan a tour on the island (or even a hotel transfer), I would google Spencer Ambrose tours. I really can’t say enough good things about him.

Transfer to TiKaye:
Spencer did our transfer this trip. He was more than willingly to accommodate us in taking the slower West Coast Road, so that we could have sunset drinks at Ladera on our way to TiKaye. Having stayed at Ladera before, we know what a special place it is especially at sunset. We arrived at about 4:30pm (not bad for a 3pm arrival on our Delta flight) and promptly ordered my favorite Ladera punch (fresh ginger is the secret ingredient) and my husband’s favorite Piton beer. Sunset at this time of year is around 5:30pm. And in the winter, the sun sets between the Pitons. When we were at Ladera in May, the sun set to the right of the Petit Piton. The winter sunset is incredible! What made this Ladera stop even better was we met one of the owners of Ladera, Holly. Her dad bought Ladera when it was condo apartments and kept them from being destroyed. He made the resort into what it is today. She even brought us 2 glasses of champagne and tons of complimentary appetizers. I can tell that Holly and her family take pride in their resort and their staff. I hope that we will be able to stay at Ladera for a few days for our next trip.
Since we stayed past sunset enjoying our conversations with Holly and the other guests at Ladera, it was dark by the time we arrived at TiKaye. The road to TiKaye is rough, but supposedly a lot better than it used to be.

TiKaye:
TiKaye is everything that the previous reviews say it is. It is a relaxing place where the staff makes every guest feel like family. The things that made the biggest impression on me were all of the incidences where the staff went above and beyond their job description to make us happy.
My husband noticed that there were no bananas at the breakfast buffet our first morning. We asked Ronald and he went somewhere and 10 minutes later brought us a huge bushel of bananas. He even asked the next day if we were taken care of with bananas.
Terry brought us an ice bucket every day to allow us to chill our drinks. We did purchase some drinks from him as well, but at the beginning he didn’t know that. He just brought the bucket no questions asked.
My husband was at the front desk requesting our water taxi for a dinner getaway at Rainforest Hideaway. Rob, the dive shop manager, happened to be there and offered to drop us off at Rainforest Hideaway in his dive boat on his way back to Castries for the night. They did not charge us at all for this.
When I asked the front desk (I have forgotten the nice lady’s name) about the type of beautiful oil they have in the oil diffusers in the rooms, she tracked me down on our last morning to bring me a small bottle of it with the label, so I can order it when I get back home. That was such a sweet gesture, and worked out to be a lovely souvenir.
Cleus is great. He was very accommodating even when there appeared to be an overbooking at the wine tasting. He has so much knowledge about wine. TiKaye is blessed to have him there on staff.

Jalousie Beach Break with Spencer Ambrose:
Spencer also was kind enough to offer to pick us up at TiKaye by boat and take us on his Jalousie beach break tour that he was doing for cruise ship guests that day. His boat driver, Raymond, and boat guide Terry are fantastic, too! This is a cruise ship tour that he operates out of the port in Castries, but since it is a tour by water down to the Pitons, they just picked us up. Spencer couldn’t be there with us that day as he was tending to a big wedding party, but he called me personally to check in that day to make sure everything was going well.

Rainforest Hideaway:
As I mentioned before, Rob and the dive crew boat dropped us off at Marigot Bay on their way back to dock at Castries. This was an incredibly generous act. The water taxi quote was around $140 R/T. We only paid for the taxi return which was $25,I think. Rainforest Hideaway was not that impressive. Our food was just ok, and I really didn’t think much of the view compared to others I’ve seen on the island. It is good to do once. But I don’t think I’ll be back. We did see quite a few naked men hanging out (and even peeing in the water) on their boats while traveling through Marigot Bay. It was pretty comical, actually.

Anse La Raye Fish Fry:
So fun! It was pouring rain. All of the newlywed husbands went back to get their new wives the room umbrellas. My husband said, “we’ll be fine. It will stop before we even get there.” Well, it poured rain for the first 45 minutes we were there. I was soaked as most of the venues are open-air. But the food was great (lobster, fish cakes, etc). The music was fun. We stayed and went back on the second shuttle to get to enjoy the party more. However, after the first shuttle left, the band went on break. They didn’t start again until 10 mins before we needed to leave. The TIKaye guide stayed with us, but I really didn’t see him during that last hour. If we weren’t hanging with another couple, I would have not felt as comfortable about staying for the late shuttle. But, it was so worth going. It was a highlight of our visit.

Ladera Brunch:
We went to Ladera again on Sunday on our way to the airport for their brunch starting at 11:30. It was delicious. The avocado salad, macaroni and cheese, and red snapper were our favorites. Almost all of the dessert choices involved chocolate, but my favorite was the chocolate panacotta. Their brunch price was $35 pp and also include a Ladera punch (not sure if rum was in it.) They have the best punch with fresh ginger being the secret ingredient.

Other things that I wanted to put in my review that I don’t think have been emphasized previously…

1.The beach chairs at TIKaye are awesome. About 90% of them have big pillowtop cushions. There are about a half dozen cabana tents to give more shade if you want it.

2.The bugs at the beach were only bad on the last day. We did notice a major difference when
they did the burning of leaves in the morning. It really helped with the bugs.

3.Room O (Oswea) is a oceanview cottage. This kind shares the building with another room (P). Even though it was on the way to the gym, no other people’s rooms were on our path so we never saw another guest from the balcony of our room. We did have to pass many people’s balconies on our way up and down, so their rooms were much less private. For the $, I would much rather stay in a private non-pool room, than a room with a pool that people can see into more easily. In fact, if I wasn’t guaranteed to stay in one on the water’s edge, I would request room O.

4. The Monday night seafood dinner is not “on” the beach. It is at the beach grill on the beach. The menu is fixed price for 5 courses (around $50 pp.) It was pretty good, except the fresh catch that day was dry. The regular dinner restaurant is open that night as well.

5.The buffet on Wednesday is actually worth it. I usually avoid buffets on vacation. It had very yummy soup (seafood chowder) and an excellent pasta dish. Many things were available to try, which gave a better sampling of the chef’s abilities.

6. The meals at TiKaye are overpriced. Breakfast is not included and is $15 pp. It is a lot of food, but I wish there was a less expensive option for maybe a togo box of breakfast foods for the room. We usually eat the big breakfasts when vacationing, but since they don’t include breakfast in their room price, it seems a bit much to add $30 each day to eat breakfast. Dinner is expensive for what you got (you aren’t eating at Ladera) and seems to be very similar options each day. Shellfish dish (they all tasted about the same), Catch of the day (always snapper except they ran out one night and had tuna), then a few more choices. Wish there were more spicy dishes.

Overall, it was a great trip and TiKaye is a very special place.

More pictures and video to come (won't let me load more than 3 pics right now.)

Room Tip: Room O is a great budget choice. No hotel guests pass your room to get to theirs. Great view from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shamrock317
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello Shamrock317,

Thank you for your very detailed review – I think you know almost as much about St. Lucia as Christian, our head of Transportation (and your Spencer I’d imagine). St. Lucians are very, very friendly and helpful people in general and it seems as though you have a great friendship with Spencer. I’d like to add that I believe our guys are as good as Spencer (although I am biased!) and I’ve had nothing but good reviews on Christian, Andrew, Simeon and Magnus – all do a fantastic job whether it’s airport transfers or tours. We may not have the Pitons view … but I’d say we do have one the best sunset views on island to compensate.

Thanks for mentioning our amazing staff especially Ronald, Terry , Rob and of course Cleus (always get a mention). Anse La Raye fish fry Friday is always popular with our guests and again, our transportation team do a great job with the shuttle buses – as well as Styne, the guide (also our pool technician by the way). Beach cabana’s (pergolas as we call them ) and the thick cream sun bed cushions are new – and very luxurious. We have those round the pool as well.

The Monday night 5 course seafood buffet at Ti Manje has again only been running for a few months but has proved to be very popular and always books up in advance. ‘Ti Manje’ is the name of our beach grill & bar which is down at the beach, not directly on it as you correctly highlight - although being only about 10 steps away I’d say is very close. Great that you decided to sample our Wednesday night Creole buffet, it does provide an insight to some of the more local foods, and as you say the Chef’s skills. Hopefully you also enjoyed the Managers complimentary cocktail hour before the Wednesday buffet, and the local live band that played afterwards?

Thank you again for your review and comments. As I have said before, these (and your detailed comment cards on checkout) do help us to change and improve. Myself, Sarah and the F&B team have actually been looking at breakfast options - and I believe that if you return to Ti Kaye you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what we will be offering as of 16th April 2013 onwards!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our last trip to this resort and my last review was two years ago. Since then new management has taken over and some of the staff has left. The staff that is still there are still great. Some of the changes that I can only assume management has made is not so great. We used to be greeted with local flowers on our bed spelling out welcome, but that has gone. The food in the restaraunt has gone the way of most french bistros (smaller portions and higher prices) and frankly it wasnt that great. The wine selection was tremndous and the wine cellar was very nice. Cleus was helpful as always in selecting a bottle for dinner. We had grown fond of the wildlife around our cottage. The bird are fun to feed from your hand and the lizards are cute. The night we came home to find a hairy spider as big as my hand in front of our cottage door we decided maybe the wildlife wasnt so cute. We killed that spider only to find another the next morning. We reported it to the staff and they said they would spray for them arount the cottage. We never saw any more, but that bell had been rung and I found it hard to sleep the rest of the trip. The beach was decent. I went snorkeling one day and was almost ran over by a party boat entering our cove so my snorkeling was cut short so we walked back up the 169 stairs back to the resort. All in all our trip this time was less enjoyable than previous trips. I will not be as eagar to recommend this resort to others in the future. For the money I will be more likely to try one of the other resorts on the island next time.

Room Tip: Nich is a very nice and private room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank camcvey
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello McVey,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and mentioning our tremendous selection of wines (445 different winesand a stock of over 2,500 bottles!) and of course, Cleus – our Sommelier – he’s extremely knowledgeable and is a great asset, as are all out staff.

We have been informed by housekeeping that they unfortunately had to stop putting flowers on the beds long before Sarah and I started as they received many, many guest complaints about ants on the bed. Housekeeping still like to do something special for people who get married here, or are celebrating an anniversary (so please make sure you let us know in advance of your special occasion).

As always, food opinions are unique to each individual but we are sorry to read that you thought the food was not as good as the last time you were here in 2009. The menus have actually (unfortunately) remained the same since 2008. However, Sarah and I along with our new Executive Chef William Ryan and his F&B Manager wife Ghislaine (and of course the resort owner) have just finalized some new VERY exciting menus ... to be posted on the website shortly!

St. Lucia is quite an expensive island for most things, and unfortunately this includes items such as food. Importation tax is high and when you add that onto things such as lamb (from New Zealand) and Angus beef + shipping it unfortunately does make food items a bit more expensive than what you might be used to back home. Fish is of course local and extremely well priced – and our 5 course fish dinner on Monday evenings down at our Ti Manje beach grill has been getting excellent reviews. As mentioned previously we do constantly ‘price check’ ourselves against many other restaurants on island that are of a similar standard to Kai Manje, and always find ourselves to be very, very competitive.

Wildlife comes in many shapes and forms. I believe December 2012 was wetter than usual and this could have contributed to the ‘additional’ wildlife in your room, happy to read though that once you reported it there were no more occurrences. Completely understand about the “that bell had been rung” comment. As a result of your review (thanks for posting) the owner and I are looking into what we can do to minimize this kind of ‘wildlife’ in the rooms.

As for the boats in the bay, I do apologize for this. I won’t go into detail as I have before, but November and December 2012 were very busy boat traffic months and prompted me to take action – which I have. The situation has already improved and by 1st March 2013 several Government bodies and the Catamaran owners themselves have agreed to implement a system that will hopefully mean everyone gets a win-win.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

Kearny, NJ
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a very late review as I visited here for my honey moon a while back, but I wanted to share my experience nonetheless.

Let's start with the good. The majority of the staff is very pleasant to deal with. I wish I remembered names of the couple of people that stood out with their excellent service. The manager seems like she genuinely tries to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and always has a smile on her face greeting everyone. The cottages are just beautiful, very private and rustic. It's not something you experience much on vacations (we stayed at Inosan cottage). Outdoor shower is a very cool idea and as newlyweds we certainly enjoyed it. I did get a little tired of showering outdoors in the elements a few days in, but my wife loved it. The beach is amazing and the beach bar has very good food and cocktails. Also, the breakfast buffet is terrific. I love nature and reptiles so being in what seems like the middle of the jungle was a great experience. I found a Boa late one night slithering around the walkway and picked it up, took it back to our room for some pics and released him. I'll never forget that experience as I am a snake lover!

Let's do the bad now, shall we? Although I did rave about the staff there are a few bad apples who throughout the week seemed very bothered by us. Any question we asked we got a very short, rude reply. We are newlyweds happy out of our minds and we are here to enjoy this why act that way with us? As for the cottages, if you're not into nature this may be overwhelming. You will see wildlife crawling around here and there, that comes with the territory. It didn't bother us, but I'm sure it can bother many. No room service which is a big thumbs down, no TV which I mean come on there's only so much you can do in the room at night. Although we did request one at $10/day!! We asked for certain things to replenished from the mini fridge and it would take forever for them to deliver. Dinner was terrible. My wife and I tried the restaurant 2 nights. Overpriced food and we did not like it one bit. We had to eat at the beach bar which has good food as late as possible (closes at 4:30) just to skip dinner. However, the biggest complaint was the pushy disrespectful vendors at the beach. Insisting we buy their things, gawking at my wife inappropriately, smoking weed! (right next to a family with children!), I mean come on can't the hotel get rid of these hooligans? And the most popular negative complaint- cruise ships dumping loud, obnoxious, disgusting, drunk people there playing loud music for hours on end. So I payed over 4 grand to stay here, but you get to come here from your crappy cruise and ruin my vacation? Very annoying. Lots of walking anywhere around this resort, completely secluded with nothing to do and everything closes early, but you've read this before.

To sum up I would give this place a 3.5 if I could. We got what we wanted from a honeymoon. A calm secluded place. However try as hard as you can to keep busy or you will hate it because there isn't anything to do. We have great memories here, but the vendors at the beach and cruise ships dumping off passengers will keep me from coming back in the future.

Room Tip: Don't get the plunge pool, not worth it. Sits in the shade all day and is always cold.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Established1988
TiKayeGM, General Manager at Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Hi there Established1988,

No matter how long it takes to write a review or when you get round to posting it, they are always helpful to us – and I’m delighted that you are still thinking about Ti Kaye almost 1 year after your visit.

Katie (the previous General Manager) left in August last year after almost 5 very successful years here. Sarah and I have worked at and managed other resorts in the Caribbean as well as other parts of the world, and we actually stayed at Ti Kaye as guests back in 2006! Hopefully we’re doing as good a job of making guests feel welcome and enjoying their stay?

We are located on a Cliffside on the edge of the forest (not sure I’d call it a ‘jungle’) so do have lots of nature and wildlife around us. That’s part of what makes Ti Kaye so natural and romantic – we’ve built ‘into’ the forest as opposed to cutting it all down and concreting everywhere. Boa’s are natural to St. Lucia but unfortunately are few and far between, as is the St. Lucia parrot. I’ve only been called 2-3 times in the last 6 months to move a boa (usually a juvenile). Also not sure I’d advise people to pick them up and take them back to their rooms for a photo opportunity, but hope it smiled for your camera?!

I fully agree, newlyweds or not, all guests should have the best service and most courteous treatment possible. I have not read many comments on this lately so hopefully this is getting resolved, although training is always an ongoing process and Sarah, myself and the Management team will continue to do so.

As for dinner, as mentioned in my last reply we had a new International Executive Chef join us in October 2012 and subsequent legitimate reviews have been raving about Chef Bill's food, although as stated in one of my previous replies, every persons palate has highly individual tastes.

Finishing off with the beach vendors (not to be confused with the ‘Beach Dude’ who is employed by us and provides a beach drinks service to our guests) and cruise ships boats. Again, agreements have been put in place for the boats in the bay issue and once that has been resolved (improved already) I will start working with the NCA with regards to the beach vendors. In general they’re a helpful group of guys, on one occasion a new groom went swimming and lost his wedding band – some of the beach vendors went out snorkeling and found it for him.

If you do decide to return at some point in the future, I’m sure you’ll find many, if not all of your concerns have been addressed since your visit almost 1 year ago, and will maybe take advantage of the many, many tours and activities we offer on a daily basis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Cochon
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,140 reviews
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!