“Excellent garden but otherwise a pass”

Nouvel Hotel du Commerce
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Castellane
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent garden but otherwise a pass”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I'm a bit surprised at all the rave reviews.

The good: the hotel has a huge lounge area, both inside and outside, several lounge chairs outside by which to enjoy a summer evening. Free, secure parking, in the centre of town. Many (if not all) of the rooms have small balconies, with views of the hilltop towns surrounding. The room was spacious enough. The showers had good water pressure.

The bad: no air conditioning. Perhaps I should have read this in the fine print before booking, but I somehow missed it. When I inquired, the reception desk sternly stated that 'we don't need it.' She was wrong. We were quite warm in our room. We couldn't leave the shutters open too much because of the light, bugs, and early morning birds. I awoke at least twice in the night as teenagers were leaving the local bars, and loudly making their way homes. The beds were 'european firm'.

While it wasn't awful, there might be better out there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This hotel has check in up until 7pm which we hadn't realised so phoned ahead to say we'd be arriving at 815 - the lady waited for us and was very welcoming so this gave us a good impression of the hotel from the start. The room was very large and clean with shutters at the window - lots of character although some bits of furniture were a bit dated. The hotel has a nice reception and restaurant area although we didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. The hotel is the most attractive looking one in the main square so its got a great location. Castellane is lovely and surrounded by beautiful scenery - good for visiting gorges du verdon. We had one night there and went on to Moustiers Saint Marie. Castellane was lively as they had entertainment on in the square plus there are several restaurants to choose from. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It also has free parking which is a bonus too!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank speedqueen09
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Charming hotel, seems slightly old fashioned at first. However rooms are comfortable and the restaurant serves very good food for dinner. Staff are very helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I feel that the Trip advisor rating is well underrated. we had an excellant experience in the hotel. Room was large, clean, great beds & wonderful staff.
The location is excellent, we had a view of the Notre Dame from our widow, high up on the cliff fsce above us. would definety recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt am Main
Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night at the hotel. Overall, the experience was fine but not outstanding. The room was big and comfortable. However, while it was not overly dirty, it could stand a thorough cleaning. Especially the bathroom which had spots of mold.

Biggest plus was dinner in the restaurant. 25 - 35 euro for a menu, without wine for good quality French cuisine.

Biggest minus was NO HOT WATER by 9:30 in the morning. It was so cold that neither my husband nor I could shower especially given it was hovering around 0-degress C the morning in question. When we mentioned this to the front desk, she did not seemed surprised and said she would call a repairman. I had the feeling it was an on-going problem in the colder weather and probably a small hot water tank for hotel's size.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
washington DC
Reviewed August 16, 2009

a water activity town(rafting canoe...) a nice touristic place and a great base for touring the verdon region.
The Hotel was excelent ,staff very helpfull and friendly.
Very nice room with flat screen and wireless connection
Corky elevator
well located and with a small parking

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Good, solid hotel. Not over the top fancy, but we felt comfortable and the hotel was in a great location. It is in the middle of the small downtown, and not far from hiking and all sorts of outdoor sports.
The woman at the front desk was super friendly and helpful. In fact, all the staff was very friendly.
There was free parking in the lot behind the hotel, which was a big plus.
We had breakfast here both mornings (9 euro pp) which was pretty big for a small place, and they had tons of fruit, which made me happy.
The only thing that bothered me is that there was no shower curtain. I might have given the place a higher rating if I could have showered comfortably. It was a nice bathroom, but I am american and I need my curtain.
Our lonely planet also recommended this hotel and said it had been renovated in 06, which I have to say was true. They also gave the restaurant good recommendations, but it was unfortunately closed both nights we were there (Tues and Wed).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castellane
Auberge du Teillon
Hotel Residence Les Canyons du Verdon
Chateau de Trigance
Chateau de Trigance
#1 of 2 in Trigance

Been to Nouvel Hotel du Commerce? Share your experiences!