“Great Experience!”

Las Cumbres Hotel & Water Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Cumbres
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We loved this hotel. I was very surprised after reading the reviews below since we weren't expecting a nice place. You should realize what type of hotel this is though. It is a hotel that Panamanians go to rather than American tourists. That made the experience particularly nice. We saw the local culture and talked with lots of locals. The rooms were very nice and very large. The rooms were very clean and we were given as many towels and pillows as we wanted. There is a bit of mold on the balcony, but that is becasue the hotel is in a rain forest! As some reviews indicated, the staff do not speak great English - that is because it is in Panama! But they all tried to communicate in English and we used our small knowledge of Spanish and it worked just fine. The hotel has a small water park with great slides that is open on the weekends. None of the overbearing rules of an American water parks. I highly recommend this hotel as great value for the money and a much more authentic experience than some of the city hotels. Also, remember to tip the people who help you. A small bit of money and a smile go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Las Cumbres Hotel & Water Park

Reviewed July 3, 2010

First of all the hotel was empty on a Friday, and there was a moldy smell. (It was the closest hotel to my parents house) Once we entered the room we were surprised how roomy it was. There's a door to the balcony along with a sliding door but for some reason you can't lock the door. The TV is tiny and the room safe did not work, actually they said that none of them worked in the entire hotel. Ok now to the reason this hotel gets the worst review from me. I had the do not disturb sign up and at 0830 somone knock's on the door, I was still asleep but my wife and 8 month old son were awake. She said that some little kid was at the door and said "sierven". She didn't say anything or open the door. He knocked again and tried to open the door himself. I then woke up and opened the door, he was a room down next to the maid. He looked at me for a second and walked passed me to the elevator. My wife was on the phone telling the front desk. Nothing happened and we got our money back for the extra day that we would have stayed. I'm just really pissed that Panama has so many crooked people. I also feel sorry for some of the unfotunate people around here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DerekVega
Reviewed April 14, 2010

The owners of this hotel needs to start paying attention to the reviews written here . I dont think they do ! What the owners do focus on is their sales office on the first floor which pretty much focus on a larger crowd , conventions etc .( i managed to stop by the office and noticed this ) . The everyday guest like us doesnt seem to matter here ! The rooms are large and the location is perfect if you want to stay away from the downton hassle and noise . We stayed here because it was the best value in the area and was close to colon and isla Verde . A mere 45 minutes away . You are lucky if you find a hotel staff that speaks english and they really dont care to find a translator . The service here is very poor . I had a room with a beautiful view and did see a few monkey swinging from trees but the mold inside the room could have affected my health . The room is molded and smelt of mold . They need to redo their Air unit . Water was dripping every day in a huge area in my room. Bathroom floors were covered with water . Dont bother to ask for a different room . No one speaks english or cares ..i tried ! Take a walk on each floor of this hotel on any given day and you will see huge humidifiers placed on each floors . I have to say the staff in the breakfast area were very nice . The food was okay and the dinning experience here was good . This hotel needs to be remodled over all

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

How do I even begin to describe the eerily abandoned feeling this resort left me with? I believe in this resorts prime, it was probably something resembling amazing. However, this was not our experience in March of 2010. After arriving subsequent to a 13 hour trip, we walked into a large lobby that seemed oddly empty. It seemed to be missing things like chairs, and tables, but did contain a very large fish tank....with no fish in it. In addition to noticing the absence of marine life, I noticed the absolute absence of people. Other than the single person behind the check in desk, there was not another human being in sight. No chattering patrons, no staff busily rushing around...just us. We continued on our business of checking in and getting into our one bedroom suite. We were very excited as we had seen the beautiful pictures the hotel had posted on their website. When we opened the door to our suite, we were shocked at what we found - or didn't find. Other than the general structure, the room was nothing like the pictures. The TV stand in the living room/kitchen area was void of the TV (the wires, however, were still there). Presumably it ran away with the missing fish. Although the bedroom had a TV, the balcony was void of any furniture, and full of dried up dead weeds. The bathroom was caked in mold, and something I'd rather not speculate on continually dripped on us anytime we sat on the toilet. The shower was absolutely abusive with the quantity and pressure of water, and we were missing lightbulbs all over the room. That was the inside of the hotel. Outside, almost from dawn 'til dusk, the dilapidated waterpark open to the public, assaulted our auditory senses with the ridiculously loud music coming out of blown speakers. The one day of the week they were closed, and we could actually be on the grounds and listen to our thoughts, we ventured out to find a pool to spend time with. You can imagine our confusion when the pool didn't have any water in it. But, never having been quitters, we did not give up the search. Thank goodness, or we never would have found the murky, leaf collecting, cement hole with water in it. We were also excited to experience the zip lines the hotel boasted to have on its grounds, only to find that they hadn't been used in years, and had mostly been grown over with weeds and moss. After experiencing this plethora of disappointments, we thought we could still salvage some of our resort experience by treating ourselves in the spa. We followed the signs that lead us to grand looking double doors. As we opened said doors, we didn't even have it in us to feign shock. We found ourselves in a very large room with beautiful tile, and grand pillars, that was completely empty, save a tipped over chair in the corner. It was like there was a huge raid and someone took all the people, the fish, the TV, and the spa! At that point, we went to our room, packed a bag, got in our rental car and drove away. Although I had difficulty with the thought of paying for 2 rooms concurrently, my husband convinced me this was the only alternative to saving our vacation. We found a lovely little bed and breakfast on Isla Grande which I will rave about in another review. Please see my pictures, as I don't believe the ones the Avalon Grand Panama posted are remotely accurate.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TruthonTravel
Reviewed March 21, 2010

First of all, do not book this hotel if you want to be in Panama City. It's far outside the city (about a 10-20 dollar cab ride depending on how you bargain). Second, the location is not great at all - its surounded by strip malls and a highway passes right by. If you want a more authentic rainforest experience I would suggest the Gamboa Rainforest Resort.
We booked a double and it was very large and had two double beds. The room was very sterile down to the tiles which were absolutely freezing every time you got out of bed. Also it looked out on a pile of dirt - not exactly picture perfect.
As for the staff, they tried to be helpful but were very incompetent. The morning we checked out the front desk called our room 10 times because they had forgotten details we had told them about a taxi we needed. The taxi didn't even come at the right time - it came 2 hours early. I speak Spanish and I imagine I would have had even more trouble in English since the staff spoke only rudimentary English at best.
Also, a personal pet peeve was that there was no wireless internet, despite the fact that they advertise as having it. We had to pay $5 to get a cable to connect to the internet that way.
Final advice - there is no bank or atm near this hotel so make sure you have cash if you need it before you come. Otherwise you have to get a cab to go to the bank/atm next to El Rey.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We've stayed at other Avalon resorts, and this one was something other than what we expected, even after reading all of the reviews before going.

Let's start with the positives:

1. Hotel staff was great, very friendly (even though I had trouble communicating most of the time due to my limited Spanish).
2. Food was good.
3. Grounds were fun to explore, the water park was fun to watch/enjoy on the weekend and the hanging bridge in the back was a hoot.
4. I go to the ATM, and US dollars come out! Was hard to even get Balboas.
5. Get out and see Calle Ureguay (nightlife, clubs), the Causway Amador (great place to get away to during one of your days), and Valle Del Anton (long drive getting there but rather interesting in my opinion, and you get to see some of the country and the mountains while going there). I've likely mispelled all of those.
6. Weather was fantastic, it was the dry season in March.
7. View from hotel of the mountains and countryside was really great - make sure you get a room with a view.
8. Our cab driver Enrique was the man, got us everywhere safe and sound!

Now the negatives:

1. Hotel was very moldy, as others reported.
2. Hotel was rather boring believe it or not. See next item which may be the reason why...
3. This hotel is used more by locals and business folk then actual vacationers.
4. If you only speak English and are shaky with your Spanish (or know no Spanish at all) you're likely going to be very uncomfortable here. There's always someone at the front desk that knows enough English to get you what you need, but other than that it's touch and go. Brush up on your Spanish or carry a pocket guide.
5. The water park would be empty if it wasn't flooded with locals on the weekends. This is a pro and a con, but to be honest it was rather amusing to watch and we did test out the lazy river. The water park has a separate entrance from the rest of the grounds so most of the folks just going there for the water park don't come through the hotel or the upper grounds which keeps things quiet.

That's all my opinion. Bottom line I think this is a fine place to stay for families, and it's fine for couples looking for a deal that don't mind having to cab it off the resort for something to do.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank videogametraveler
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stayed at the Avalon. The room was spacious, it was away from the busy streets secluded in trees which was nice.

Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Riande Aeropuerto
Riande Aeropuerto
#36 of 115 in Panama City
Best Western Plus Panama Zen Hotel

Been to Las Cumbres Hotel & Water Park? Share your experiences!