“Bettter than expected”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Cumbres
Rome, Italy
“Bettter than expected”
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We run away from a VRBO horrible rented apt in a decadent condo in Bellavista borough (watch out when renting in Centrum Tower Condo or Suites, may transform in a nightmare) and jumped last minute into this 70 US$ per night resort in the outsides of Panama City.
Plus: gigantic rooms, fantastic tropical lush setting, excellent "value for money" room rate, more than decent breakfast, quiet environment (after 5 days on noisy traffic in downtown Panama), fantastic king size double beds with comfortable matresses.
Minus: distance to downtown (may be 20 minutes or 1 hour, depending on the moment of the day) , absolut need for a car, no glasses in room, no safe (doesn't work and its use is not recommended by the hotel), cero minibar (only mineral water), pool not well maintained and with no lounges, mini tv in the room.
Do not expect a luxury resort, but compared with what you could have in Panama City with 70 US$ per night is certainly worthwhile. Not fit for businessmen, nor somebody that doesn't like to drive

Room Tip: Good value for money in expensive PTY hotel scene
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tauroromano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kings Park, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Although the rooms seemed clean there was mold everywhere. I set the AC at max fan and lowest temp and still hot and humid. After a day your clothes start smelling like old mold. Floors seemed humid from all the humidity in the air.
No coffee machines nor cups readily available in the room. If you want them you have to call. The decision to make phone calls from the room is the hotels because they say it is too expensive. I think they should display the prices and let the guest make that decision.
Mold, mold and more mold everywhere. The bathrooms? mold everywhere and the toothbrush holder was falling apart. I am sure the cleaning staff noticed it but did not notify hotel staff for repairs.
The little refrigirator was rusted at the bottom that if you happen to get scratched by it you might get tetanus (view picture). They had a little dehumidifier at the lobby. I don't think that would do the trick for the whole hotel.
Some of the staff was very nice. Others seemed annoyed all the time specially the manager who would walk by and not even acknowledge you with a good morning.
If you want ice after 10:00 pm you are out of luck. The restaurant closes at 10:00 pm and there are no ice machines on any of the floors. There is only one soda/candy machine in the lobby so if your room is far prepare to walk for a soda and that if they machine has been replinished. It wasn't when I was there.
The hotel seemed empty at all times. At times we felt as if we were the only ones staying there.
Overall, it would be a nice place to stay if they improve many of the items I described and more.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ALKP

Travelers are raving about these Las Cumbres hotels

Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights through my timeshare properties.

Big point for me: the people were really great. There were only a couple of people there who spoke English, which was fine. One of them worked at the front desk, and she would call other places for us to make reservations to do things (i.e. tours of Monkey Island in Gamboa) and tell us where we could go to find certain things to do in the area. She was very helpful and friendly.

The restaurant/bar is open until 11pm daily - the food is good and the staff is great. There is free (unsecured) wifi in the lobby, which we found also works in the restaurant, at least near the entrance.

For the area around the hotel in general, it's not in a great part of town, but the hotel itself and the grounds are relatively secure with a gate in front. However, the location isn't bad for exploring the east side of Panama. From there, we were able to make day trips to the Smithsonian Institute down on Isle de Flamenco (highly recommended), the Panama Canal (Miraflores Locks), and to the Gamboa Rainforest Resort - they have tours to Monkey Island and an aerial tram through the rainforest.

The room was very clean, although lacking in deep-cleaning, as pointed out by other reviewers, as there was mold in the tile grout. It really wasn't a big deal, particularly if you keep in mind that this is a very humid place in the rainforest. We also would get little, tiny "sugar/water" ants if we left out anything with sugar in it (tiny bits of granola bar on the floor, juice spilled on the counter, etc. Also, not a big deal since we learned early to not leave out anything.

Overall, this was a nice place to stay, and we would stay here again if we wanted to be in this area for a couple of nights. We left a day early, because we wanted to explore the beach areas west of the Canal - otherwise, we would have stayed the entire 7 days.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravlinFamile
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Adequate for a night passing through, but not a resort vacation spot. It was clean, rooms were large and were beds nice. Good Sangria too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 22, 2010

After reading all the terrible reviews, I was terrified of this hotel......and we really had no choice because we were staying here on a timeshare exchange. Well, it wasn't nearly as bad as these reviews made it out to be. That said, it's not a great place to stay. If you're used to 5- or even 4-star hotels, this is not the place for you.

Very few of the hotel employees speak English. And while it was not exactly empty, there being a wedding reception, an Herbalife convention and a bible group convention the week we were there, our floor (the 7th) was eerily empty. My husband and I joked about being in the hotel in the movie The Shining as we walked through the empty, cavernous hallways.

When we first arrived, all of the rooms on our floor were empty and the doors were wide open. that was good for us because we didn't have a microwave so my husband went and "stole" one from another room. It didn't work. So he took it back and got another one that did work. We didn't have a very good view at all, and we contemplated asking to be moved to another room, but after checking out all the other rooms we decided to stick with ours since all of the other rooms had broken tiles in the shower or some other problem.

Also, yes, the hotel really does have a strong musty odor. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but that night as I tried to fall asleep, I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it. The next day we asked for a dehumidifier. Well, the first two they brought us didn't work. Finally, my husband demanded they give us the one in the lobby that we knew worked. That thing held about a gallon of water when full and we had to empty it twice a day! It's hard to believe there could be so much water in the air! The dehumidifier helped some but it was still very musty-smelling. When we got home a week later, our clothes smelled so bad I had to wash all of them, even the ones that "weren't dirty," and I had to spray our suitcases with Fabreeze.

The restaurant/bar was nice, clean and welcoming. We never ate a full meal there but we did have some appetizers and they were good. We also had coffee in the morning and it was very good. We would also have a nightcap in the bar every night and the prices were incredibly reasonable -- $1.50 for a local beer, $4.00 for a mixed drink or a shot.

The water park is only open on the weekends and yes it's pretty dilapidated and full of locals. Even so, I would have liked to spend more time there if we weren't so busy sightseeing. The regular pool is not very inviting. It's in a shaded location and the time we went there, there were locals drinking beer and swimming in their t-shirts and shorts. We never went back.

The gym was adequate with all kinds of workout machines, but disappointingly the jacuzzi was not in service. Free wi-fi was available only in the lobby, but it did work well.

The grounds as you enter the property are very nice. There's lots of trees, flowers and other vegetation. There's a guard on duty at night, and a small parking area. But away from the main building, the grounds aren't as nice. Not terrible, just not so nice.

I would probably go back to this hotel on a timeshare exchange rather than pay outright for another hotel, but if not for that I would definitely not go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 092410d
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We loved this hotel. I was very surprised after reading the reviews below since we weren't expecting a nice place. You should realize what type of hotel this is though. It is a hotel that Panamanians go to rather than American tourists. That made the experience particularly nice. We saw the local culture and talked with lots of locals. The rooms were very nice and very large. The rooms were very clean and we were given as many towels and pillows as we wanted. There is a bit of mold on the balcony, but that is becasue the hotel is in a rain forest! As some reviews indicated, the staff do not speak great English - that is because it is in Panama! But they all tried to communicate in English and we used our small knowledge of Spanish and it worked just fine. The hotel has a small water park with great slides that is open on the weekends. None of the overbearing rules of an American water parks. I highly recommend this hotel as great value for the money and a much more authentic experience than some of the city hotels. Also, remember to tip the people who help you. A small bit of money and a smile go a long way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Panama
Reviewed July 3, 2010

First of all the hotel was empty on a Friday, and there was a moldy smell. (It was the closest hotel to my parents house) Once we entered the room we were surprised how roomy it was. There's a door to the balcony along with a sliding door but for some reason you can't lock the door. The TV is tiny and the room safe did not work, actually they said that none of them worked in the entire hotel. Ok now to the reason this hotel gets the worst review from me. I had the do not disturb sign up and at 0830 somone knock's on the door, I was still asleep but my wife and 8 month old son were awake. She said that some little kid was at the door and said "sierven". She didn't say anything or open the door. He knocked again and tried to open the door himself. I then woke up and opened the door, he was a room down next to the maid. He looked at me for a second and walked passed me to the elevator. My wife was on the phone telling the front desk. Nothing happened and we got our money back for the extra day that we would have stayed. I'm just really pissed that Panama has so many crooked people. I also feel sorry for some of the unfotunate people around here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro
Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro
#18 of 113 in Panama City
Courtyard Panama at Metromall Mall

Been to Las Cumbres Hotel & Water Park? Share your experiences!