Coconut Lodge
Central Park Hotel(Panama City)
$54
$72
Hotwire.com
Radisson Summit Hotel And Golf(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$92
$90
Courtyard by Marriott Panama at Metromall Mall(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$101
Hotels.com
Hotel Doral(Panama City)
$30
  • Restaurant
Novotel Panama City(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$61
$57
The Westin Panama(Panama City)
$175
$163
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Panama Canal(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$79
$43
$40
TripAdvisor
All reviewspanama cityperfect staynice pooltour guideyogurtconradairportcanalrainforesttoucanshungary
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Nancy and her family are the most pleasant, welcoming and yet discrete hosts one could possibly have. Already during our first contact, a phone call to get the directions, Nancy was very helpful and friendly and asked if we want to have some dinner upon our arrival - we felt well taken care of and welcome from the first second.
When we arrived at the lodge, we were happily surprised: the lodge as well as the interior design were perfect. Our room was spotless, spacey and after two weeks of backpacking it was a perfect change. Dinner was prepared by her husband and what can we say: its the best food we had in Panama.
Nancy equipped us with advice, cell phones, umbrellas and drove us into the city center where she also collected us and took us to a mall. Hence, also the fact that the lodge is in pretty, quiet area outside buzzing Panama city was not an obstacle as Nancy was ready to take us downtown whenever we wanted with her private car.

Being in our late 20s, it was just the perfect amount of pampering and freedom and we would definitely recommend some days with Nancy and her family!

Also, we had wonderful conversations with Nancy and her family and it was clear from the very beginning that the coconut lodge is a project lying at the heart of nancy and her family.
Again, Nancy is a perfect host, the lodge is wonderful and I would come back at any time. Thank you, Nancy!! :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut L, Owner at Coconut Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

It was a pleasure to read your feedback and appreciation for our level of helpfulness, friendliness and discretion. We are glad that you appreciated the size and cleanliness of the rooms as well as food. We appreciate all your recognition for our efforts to make your stay comfortable. We are especially pleased that you felt pampered and are willing to come back at any time. Thank you for the nominations “perfect host” and “best food we had in Panama”!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Because of the generous lay-over options through Copa Airlines, we had the opportunity to stop in Panama for three days from Asuncion to Chicago...and I am so glad we did. My two friends and I stayed at Coconut Lodge after a mission trip to Paraguay. One of my traveling companions had already experienced the wonderful hospitality of Nancy and Mike and she was more than happy to share the experience with us. We stayed in the Cafe Con Leche room and even with huge suitcases, a duffel full of eyeglasses, and a cot, we had more than enough room. Nancy arranged a Lake Gatun tour with Captain Carl (highly recommend) and her knowledge of the area and friendliness to share her experience made this trip feel like we were staying at a friend's home. Mike crafted the most delicious meals for us and was always asking if we needed more of his amazing pancakes in the morning. Nancy picked us up from the airport and saw that we were taken care of very well. They were full with guests from Hungary, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland, so it was wonderful to meet so many new people and converse over wine and a deliciously prepared meal at the end of the day. The grounds are impeccable, though still under construction, and the rooms are clean and perfectly decorated. The swimming pool was wonderful and I didn't have any issue with any bugs...except for one rouge spider that found himself in our room one morning...but you are in the rainforest with monkeys in the trees in your backyard so no complaints here. I love this place and I am eager to share it with my husband soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your appreciation of the grounds, the pool, the spaciousness, and cleanliness of the rooms, our hospitality as well as the meals. We are glad you felt like you were staying at a friend’s home. Your words “I love this place” truly blessed us.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

When my wife discovered the Coconut Lodge on Tripadvisor, with all the glowing comments, I immediately thought: “juega vivo.” But the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor are both true and well deserved! This, in my opinion, is truly incredible. I love Panama—especially the city and its surroundings—but usually I’m pleased to simply find a reasonably priced, somewhat clean and secure place—in other words, some place that is just “adequate.” But the Coconut Lodge has created a new standard of excellence for B&Bs in Panama City. (The Mandarin Oriental of B&Bs!) Congratulations to the Pop Family!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JBBotti

Our family has been blessed with overwhelming positive feedback from the TripAdvisor community. It was very humbling to read your thoughts. “Coconut Lodge has created a new standard of excellence for B&Bs in Panama City”. We thank you for that gift!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I and 3 boys stayed at Coconut Lodge the first two nights and last two nights of our two week Panama vacation. Like other reviewers note, the whole family at this BnB goes out of their way to make sure you are taken care of, and getting the most out of your whole stay. Just a few examples: Melissa took us to the Amador Causeway to dinner one night, a fairly long ride, and stayed and helped us order dinner (our Spanish is limited). Melissa also took us on a very nice tour of Casco Viejo and the Miraflores locks where we got all the information that a big tour would get, from a very knowledgable guide, but for just the 5 of us. Mike went out of his way to take me to the Supermarket so I could buy a few supplies for our stay. The whole family gave us advice for our drive into the interior, from where to stop and eat to how to deal with police roadblocks, and more. These and all other of our requests, from using their tennis racquets, to holding breakfast for our late sleeping teenagers, to ordering pizza for us, to keeping the wine flowing at dinner, happened very quickly without a moments' hesitation. Add this service level to the beautiful gardens, pool and rooms of Coconut Lodge, and the excellent food, and it will be hard to stay anywhere else in Panama city. In fact, when we returned from our 10 days in the interior to spend our last few days in PC, we were met at the airport by Melissa and Nancy at it really felt like we were coming home. We laughed with them that they actually were holding their Coconut Lodge signs up for us! (turns out they were meeting other incoming guests as well). And speaking of the other guests, we met several different travelers from different parts of the world and with different interests, and we really enjoyed chatting with them. All had a zest for travel and a real knowledge of and appreciation for great accommodations and great travel experiences, and Coconut Lodge really helped make our experience in Panama a great one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VTGobbler

“The whole family at this BnB goes out of their way to make sure you are taken care of, and getting the most out of your whole stay” Your statement forms the foundation of what we believe in at Coconut Lodge. Your words encouraged us that we are on the right track and that our efforts are recognized. We strive to provide a Home Away from Home. To read your words: “It really felt like we were coming home” was very rewarding. We are glad that you could make your stay at Coconut Lodge a great one.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at Coconut Lodge at the end of May and it truly lived up to my high expectations.

Due to a family emergency overseas these past months I've not been able to find the time to write my review, so, sincerest apologies go out to the whole Coconut Lodge family for my delay!

Having literally chosen it on a whim ~ I was only having a gander at Trip Advisor to learn more about Panama since I'd never been and knew that I needed a nice pool and comfy place to ease jet lag before meeting a friend from the States on Amador Causeway, which I had already reserved! ~ the first 2 title comments I happened to come across on this site were "great entry into Panama" and "sweet dogs" where I was from then on easily sold. I instinctively wrote and reserved on top of my other booking and was so glad that I was able to cancel that previous reservation for myself out on the Causeway. Later, I did stay there with my friend and that was nice too, but absolutely nothing comparable to the personalized service one will find at Coconut Lodge.

I was semi-prepared for my visit during the beginning of the rainy season so as to not set myself up for disappointment, but in fact had great weather whilst there. It did rain a bit, but not for long. I thought the mosquitoes were going to be another problem for my sensitive skin due to the Lodge's proximity to a rain forest, but I did not get one bite there thanks to the in-room citronella diffusers and of course some topical application of repellant in the evenings. (Bocas del Toro / surrounding islands, another story…)

The food was delicious and meals can pretty much be prepared when you want them. Housekeeping is done when you wish as well and I found the staff to be so helpful and friendly… a little bit of Spanish is of course beneficial for that, but certainly not mandatory. This is a truly international household / lodging that brings all of the Americas (incl. Canada), Europe and even elements of Africa and Asia together into a seamless twist of total relaxation or activity ~ whatever one prefers.

Some Europeans may find the lack of independence in being able to walk around to the historic sights from home slightly difficult whilst some Americans may find the 15-20 minute drive to the city "so far", not to mention lack of nightlife in the area or proximity to window shop/shop. This is a lovely residential area of Panama City, however, and in my opinion a perfect place to come home to after you've arranged a day or night on the town if that is your cup of tea. I did not take a walk around the neighbourhood, and I regret that I didn't…. there is a nearby temple too, but I was just so at peace in my relaxation that I couldn't force myself out of it for more than I had already planned. Transportation was definitely not an issue for me as I didn't want to go out at night, but it was indeed available if I wanted it. My transfers from the airport, on a guided tour and out to the Causeway were very reasonably priced and I always felt like I was in good hands meandering through the pretty constant traffic. Not quite as crazy as some other Central/South American countries that come to mind, but nonetheless difficult to navigate on your own, (for most), without experience in a foreign country anyway.

I spent 3 days in the room 'Sol de la Tarde', just off the outdoor kitchen/dining area and it was perfect by myself, but I could see it being equally comfortable (if not more so!) with a partner and even a cot for a child.

No earplugs required here (as I read are pretty standard in many downtown establishments), unless you are adverse to the sounds of nature… but even those go away if you are used to regulating the AC and keep your (screened) windows closed. I routinely wear earplugs abroad, but didn't have to use them here, nor did I want to!

During my stay, in addition to me, there was a couple from the US, and another woman from Europe. I would have been fine on my own (which I was for the first night), but the other guests just made it all the more interesting.

The first day I sat by the pool all day and listened to the sounds of the rain forest to try and get over my 8 hour time difference; 2nd day had a great tour of the city (Fish Market, Casco Viejo and other historic sights) and of course the Canal. Melissa did an amazing job and her knowledge and natural knack for history made me want to throw my guidebook away… it certainly wasn't necessary while under her wing!

I can't have more than exuberant enthusiasm about Coconut Lodge for the well-versed traveler, anyone wishing to visit Panama for the first time or the return guest who wants to feel like they are "coming home". It really offers 5 star service, in sort of 4 star surroundings, but I have stayed in 5 star hotels that don't have such lovely linen on the beds or such fresh food and most importantly genuine smiles, laughter and international intelligence. For that matter, I have stayed in numerous 4-star hotels that would not even come close to the all around package this "bed & breakfast" offers.

If only there were a Coconut Lodge in every corner of the world… sigh… one can only hope, but it's nice to know that Panama City is covered =)

Thank you for welcoming me into your home, the great attention to detail, starting my 2 week trip off on the right course and for all of the fond memories of lovely Panama City and what it's like to live there! I still have many places to see, but I cannot wait to return to Panama and when I do I'll be staying a bit longer.

Thanks again and please give my regards to Laura :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Coconut L, Owner at Coconut Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

How extremely pleasing and wonderful to hear that we met and surpassed your high expectations and that you especially appreciated the personalized service and attention to detail. At Coconut Lodge, we place tremendous importance on small details and are particularly happy that you were able to appreciate the cleanliness of the rooms as well as the quality of the linens. We are also delighted that you found the transportation services and cultural knowledge practical and that you enjoyed the quality and freshness of the meals offered at the Lodge.
We are very grateful for your comments and “exuberant enthusiasm about Coconut Lodge”
Thank you for the valuable gift of your words: “If only there were a Coconut Lodge in every corner of the world… sigh… one can only hope”
We look forward to greeting you again at Coconut Lodge during your next stay in Panama!