Tripadvisor

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Booked in advance as we saw they were closed for refurbishment. The staff who dealt with us seemed pleasant enough and very helpful. However, the food was very bland! We had various roasts and a couple of burgers, but it was certainly not very exciting or enjoyable to eat. The best thing is that they have a seating area which is separated and fairly private. Could not fault the staff who were more than happy to keep running back and forth with our drinks. At the end of the evening we asked for the bill and I noticed that we had been overcharged by nearly £80! We believe that it was a genuine mistake, one that was immediately resolved, but what if we never checked?

2  Thank Foxtikka
Write a reviewReviews (495)

Reviewed January 9, 2020

Birthday celebration very disappointing. Lovely looking country pub, evening spoilt by miserable scruffy waiter. Food wasn’t bad but 1/3 of steak was gristle. Waiter couldn’t really careless. Service was slow, was put off of having a dessert. Waiter brought us the bill then stood there with the card machine, how rood. Don’t intend returning.

1  Thank Birthdaymeal2020
Reviewed January 9, 2020

We had a large Christmas party here of 50+. A fantastic night, great food and service was excellent. Thanks.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

I wouldn’t go here EVER again.
I was highly recommending this place to my mum, who had never been before.
As I’m pretty local I said this would be the best place for our New Year’s Day meal.
However I was wrong.. the food was STALE, my mums fish and chips tasted like it had been retried.
Potatoes HARD, and the lamb was undercooked and limp.
We explained to to the staff we were unhappy, and they didn’t do a single thing about it, apart from offer us 10% off on our next visit.
Well I’m sorry to say we won’t be visiting ever again!!
I highly recommended The Black horse, however I won’t be doing that anymore.
Very very disappointed and even more so at the fact we had to pay full price for something that wasn’t even eaten.

4  Thank jadeldc33
Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

We had such a fantastic meal here today! The menu looked so appetising that we had trouble deciding on what to eat, but we made some excellent choices all around. The food was absolutely delicious and our server was super friendly and attentive. We were all so impressed that we will be happy to recommend and to return soon ourselves. Fabulous, leisurely lunch that was accentuated by lovely, friendly service!

Date of visit: December 2019