“A beautiful get away that is no longer a secret but still amazing”

Termas de Papallacta
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Papallacta
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have been to this resort and spa many times and love it. We live in Quito. The thermal waters are without sulfur smell and crystal clear. The water is constantly flowing and so is very clean. The restaurant has helpful staff although the prices are not in line with Ecuador and the food quality average. The reservation system they use is a disaster they require a bank deposit.(line up for hours) or you can try the online form that doesn't work too well. It got rejected because I only have one last name. (huh?!) then they asked for my PIN number for the credit card. Small minded backwards way of doing things. I work as an airline captain and use hotels all over the world with just a simple click or call it's all done. Not here. All that said we love it there and the walk to the park and waterfalls outside of the resort is also beautiful with humming birds and water falls. As far as eating goes...well if you venture about 1 km outside the resort you are paying local prices for the same food quality and lunch is $4 again! Enjoy

Room Tip: numbers 1-29 are the best if you want a room that opens onto the water.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SXMpilot

Reviewed April 20, 2013

As with other destinations in Ecuador, distances are deceiving. Termas Papallacta is only about 50 km from Quito but given traffic and road conditions we had a surprisingly long drive. It took us almost 3 hours.

Each room is directly beside volcanic hot springs. Each pool is uniquely shaped and surrounded by gardens and each pool has a slightly different temperature from very hot to very cold. The views of the Andes are absolutely stunning both from within the pools and other spots on the property.

Our room was very comfortable and being able to step out the door to basically our own private hot pool was one of the highlights of our trip to Ecuador.

The restaurant lacks the ambiance of the rest of the hotel but the food is good and reasonably priced.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very neat and comfy hotel. The natural springs are an amazing experience and the scenery surrounding the hotel is amazing. One of the best options to disconnect yourself from the city and enjoy nature wonders.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed in this resort right after my trip in Galapagos. It was worthwhile the stay for RECHARGING. The location is great because it's in between the city (Quito) and the Amazon (Tena/Napo). So it will make a sense stopping here before venturing out in the Amazon if you happen to be coming from Quito or Guayaquil.

I had one of the best spa experience in termas de papallacta. They are in an amazing location in the mountains surrounded by the Antisana volcano. Hot spring volcanic water pools are only steps away from each room. So even if it's cold, you can leave your room and go for a warm endless Jacuzzi bath. The place is in a quiet and relaxing area for someone who is looking to recharge or relax after a long hiking / backpacking trip. In fact, This was the only place where I actually had natural Eucalyptus leaves from local trees in the steam rooms.

Regarding the restaurant: Try their Trout wrapped over plantain leaf - very delicious - and the salsa de Aji is house made and it's the best Aji sauce you will find in Ecuador. Trust me on this one :)

While hiking in the surrounding area, I got a mosquito inside my eye which caused me a small infection. However, they had a Doctor at the resort who was able to identify the issue and gave me an eye drop which healed my infection. The resort is really top notch.

The rooms / beds are warm, cozy and comfortable. Nothing can go wrong here. I'd definitely recommend this place and we would go back again when we can.

Room Tip: Here is my tip: Before reservation, ask them to give you a room with Antisana view :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Admittedly, I wasn't loving our trip to Quito because I'm not really a city person. The traffic and style of driving is also pretty horrific for the nerves. I was so grateful to have heard about the termas! It is about a 2 hour drive from Quito and well worth it. We tried to also go up to see the San Rafael waterfall, gave up and turned around, but were so happy to have ended up in papallacta. The hot springs are great and clean. The restaurant has good food with decent prices, although the breakfast buffet is sort of a rip-off. One warning: they tell you not to throw your TP in the toilet. This was slightly disconcerting for modern times, but it is rustic so understandable. The guys who own this are all about the environment, their footprint, sustainability, etc. They are a 10 minute drive from the reserve, which supposedly boasts great wildlife. We saw nothing. Great hike, good exercise and pretty views of different lakes, but no animals, despite our very quiet demeanor. We loved Papallacta though!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming here for a while. My father and kids love this place.
The drive here isn't bad just try to get here at a decent time that way you don't deal with the fog.
The resort is secluded and seems to be just right for the experience. I recommend you remember to bring all your essentials as there isn't a big supermarket anywhere.
I have stayed in the small rooms and the cabins. They are both great depending on the size of your group. You have from your door access to the pools so no need to worry about walking far. This is what we love the most about termas pappallacta. The cabins are for a larger group which is also great, we enjoyed getting the fire started in the chimney every night--- it gets cold there at night so this makes it a wonderful addition.
They only have one restaurant on site but it is good. The food seems fresh and I don't have any major complaints. My kids enjoy it and if they say its ok I'm a happy person. It is not inclusive, I wish it was especially when we are staying there for 3-4 days.
There are no TVs in the rooms so be prepared to disconnect yourself from the world.
If you need to explore outside of the resort there is a town called BAEZA. There is some great history there and a small museum. There are others things there but it just so happens that the times we have gone they are closed. Need to remember its a Small town!! It does attract tourists as I have seen a few especially at this food stop. It's a pretty decent restaurant almost like home cooked meals. Stick with the basics, soup & any meal w chicken or steak. My dad ordered some pasta dish and it was like ramen noodles.
Overall this place is a must go to and enjoy. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Lmira88
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night as a part of the tour group. The hotel is at the altitude of 11000 ft. above the sea level and about 2.5 miles off the main Quito to Baeza road near Lake Papallacta. This hotel attracts lot of tourists because of the thermal springs. You could enjoy a bathe in these springs just outside your room. The surroundings are well maintained. You could experience high altitude sickness so one should keep well hydrated. The hotel supplies boiled water in ceramic pots in the rooms but we preferred to drink bottled water to be on the safe side. We had dinner of grilled rainbow trout with garlic sauce and quinoa soup. The trout fillet had bones which we had to watch out for. It was expensive and nothings worth mentioning. The buffet breakfast in the morning was good with nice spread of bread, eggs, potato, cheese, juices etc. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Papallacta
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
#12 of 113 in Quito
Hotel Tababela Resort
Hotel Tababela Resort
#136 of 291 in Quito

Been to Termas de Papallacta? Share your experiences!