“The PERFECT resort for lazy travelers”

Termas de Papallacta
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Papallacta
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We live in Otavalo, Ecuador and were having friends from the States come visit us. We picked them up in Quito and took a bus from the station to Papallacta the next day. I think the bus said Baeza on the side and it was just a few dollars. The road to Papallacta is beautiful, but at some parts not for the faint of heart. (dirt roads, curvy, steep drop-offs with no guardrails...) We got off at the fork of the road just before the bus continues on to Baeza and had some cold beers at the La Choza Don Wilson before hailing down a truck that all seven of us road up the hill for 60 cents. It drops you right at the door of Termas de Papallacta. We got a large, 2-story cabin with kitchenette and fireplace. Several private hot pools were right outside our door. The staff was pretty friendly (but not overly) and the maids let us peek inside the other non-cabin rooms. They were very clean and cheery, but not near as awesome as our cabin. The grounds are full of huge heated thermal pools and you can swim all day in a different pool of different temps and depths. Our group ranged from age 6 to 56 and we all had a GREAT time, however this town and resort is in the middle of NOWHERE and there's not much to do but relax, which was PERFECT for our group. We did a self-guided hiking tour which you can discover lot of flora and fauna including llamas that let you pet them. For a fee there were also longer hikes and horse-back riding, but not much else, so bring a book if you bore easily. We ate at the restaurant once, but the prices are "Americanized" and food wasn't special, so we instead walked down the road out of the resort to the other small hostels which also had restaurants with great, cheap, authentic food. And since they don't get much business, they bent over backwards to make our meals extra special. Another thing to keep in mind is the weather. I brought a terry-cloth robe to wear when walking from pool to pool because the altitude there is still quite high making for chilly and cloudy days. I saw other wet guests shivering and running to hurry and get into the next hot pool. All in all, this resort is worth the price we paid for the cabin and I WILL be back!

Room Tip: Cabins have their own fireplace and private pools
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank chelseaprice

Reviewed April 11, 2011

The hotel is a quaint place, extremely cozy and the hot springs are AWESOME!!!! The rooms are OK (nothing fancy) but less than 10 feet from your door is a pool of hot spring water, then adjacent to that - another pool, and another, all with varying temperatures. This is one of the most relaxing experiences I have had in quite a while.

I love spas and have a spa treatments once each month. I must say this ranks at the top of the list for spas. The spa at Papallacta was awesome! I don’t think I have ever been so relaxed in my life, the lighting, sound, scent, temperature and of course the massage sent me into a celestial coma. You must try the Andean Mud wrap and the thermal cave.....both AMAZING. My husband and I also enjoyed the couples massage and the facial.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RondaJS
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Making our plans to travel through Ecuador this was our plan to escape the busy life, a relax between our travels.
We never would have wanted to miss this, wow everything we wanted and more!
Top quality service by staff, the best food and nobody running after you... This is your time and they make you feel like that.
We had special moments plan and would advise this to everybody, and that massage... really can't find anything unconfortable about this.
So take a stop at papallacta on your way from quito to baños, it's highly recommended.
Erwin and Cristina ( from holanda and Ecuador )

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Erwinnercmv
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Aside of the magnificent hot springs in the middle of the Andes, you will enjoy the great kitchen at the restaurante, combined with excellent service. We took the "Momentos Especiales" package, for a couple. The massages included in the package were pretty disappointing; the SPA is run separately from the hotel. It was a busy time of the year (Carnaval) and the public pools were crowded. The hot springs near the rooms were not that hot and they were cleaning some of them (bad timing!) but the hot springs at the SPA location were really good.

Room Tip: Hotel is better than cabins if you are just two
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank estusal
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed at this wonderful place while on Friendly Planet Exotic Ecuador tour. Aaaaahhh! Loved the thermal waters right outside the room. Food was delicious -try the wonderful fruit juices- guanabana or blackberries yum! My only complaint is that the wifi did not work with iPhone or itouch you have to have the connection page open while you surf the net ( not able to do this on mobile device ) but they did have a pc for public use on the second floor which I was too tired to use.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Nothing like driving through the spectacular scenes of the Ecuadorian Andes and getting to this peaceful place. Nice rooms, private hot spring pools, fireplace, wine....what else do you need.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Dr Mari M
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Hotel Spa Termas de Papallacta sits in the shadow of 4,500 metre Antisana, right next to the public spas in the tiny town of Papallacta. The public spas are great, but for a reasonable amount of privacy and super easy access – check in to Termas de Papallacta.

The hotel is a quaint place, extremely cosy and kind of wraps around you in a relaxing glow. The rooms are basic and my bathroom was perhaps a bit cold, but less than three metres from my door was a pool of hot spring water, then adjacent to that - another pool, and another, all with varying temperatures. From my door it looked like a crazy-golf course of hot springs.

The restaurant serves fantastic Ecuadorian cuisine and the restaurant staff were kind of loco, in an entertaining way of course. The front desk was manned by Byron, the nicest man in Ecuador and possibly the whole of South America.

I’m not a spa kind of a guy normally (although there has been a significant amount of spa activity this trip) so don’t have much to compare with, but the spa at Papallacta – awesome! I don’t think I have ever been so relaxed in my life, the lighting, sound, scent, temperature and of course the massage sent me into a celestial coma.

Hotel Spa Termas de Papallacta will be a highlight on your itinerary.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GWells1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Papallacta
Hotel Casa de Hacienda La Jimenita
Wyndham Quito Airport
#12 of 113 in Quito
13 mi away
Hacienda Hosteria Guaytara

Been to Termas de Papallacta? Share your experiences!