“Exceptional Hospitality”

I Gelsi
Moama, Australia
“Exceptional Hospitality”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a week at I Gelsi with another couple from Australia. The first thing that struck us was how friendly and helpful Paolo the owner was. Enza was wonderful in helping us to book a day at Chef Claudio"s cooking school which was a short walk from the unit, and also gave us some great suggestions for other things to do. The unit we stayed in was tastefully decorated, comfortable and had everything that we needed. It was great that there were some basic supplies in the kitchen(especially Paolo"s Olive Oil & Red Wine) which meant we didn't have to go straight to the shops. The surrounding countryside was beautiful and Figline turned out to be a good base for several day trips to other Tuscan towns.Having laundry facilities on site was great too! I would thoroughly recommend a stay there, but you will need to hire a car unless you just want to chill out and enjoy the scenery and pool.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam T

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Echuca
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband found this place on trip advisor and thought it would suit us for the week as we were travelling with another couple from Australia. It lived up to our expectations. It was a great location to get to Florence by train (30 minutes), or go for many walks, or jump in a car and do many day trips through the Tuscan country side. It is central to many areas you may wish to visit such as Arezzo and Sienna. Our hosts Enza and Paolo were most helpful throughout our stay by taking us shopping, or taking us to the train station before we picked up a rental car. Over all a most enjoyable week. We will be recommending I Gelsi to other Aussie travellers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EchucaJulie
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was inspired to book I Gelsi because of the reviews on Trip Advisor so I thought it only right that add my own on my return. I Gelsi has many things in its favour, The apartment was spacious with a huge four poster bed. A great terrace overlooking the valley for romantic evening drinks or a large shared meal with the new friends you are bound to make. A fabulous pool and bbq area. The best thing though were the hosts. Enza and Paolo were fabulous, helpful and kind. We had a bit of a medical emergency whilst away and Enza was incredible.
The local town of Figline Valdarno has excellent r estaurants and shops and the people were incredibly friendly. You are close to lots of beautiful towns and only 20 k from Florence.
I cannot recommend I Gelsi highly enough.
Thanks Enza and Paolo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Claire E
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

What a fantastic place to stay, lovely helpful hosts, comfortable, homely, fully equipped apartment, great location, beautiful scenery, what more can I add!!! Local Supermarket 5 minute drive away in the town of Figline.

From I Gelsi we were able to visit many of the lovely Villages and Towns in the Chianti region, easy train ride to Florence (approx 30 mins) and Pisa. A car is recommended though, due to the location of the property, high in the hills above the town of Filigne Valdarno. Only wish we had more time to enjoy the facilities on site.

We can't recommend I Gelsi and it's ever so helpful hosts (Enza, Paolo and their lovely Children Thommaso and Mathilde) highly enough!! Maybe, just maybe one day we'll get back there!! It was an absolute pleasure to stay here.

Finally thanks to Paolo for his Wine, most enjoyable!! And Thommaso and Mathilde, keep studying those foreign languages they will be an excellent help when you start travelling!!

June & Danny Quinn Melbourne, Australia

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JuneQ2011
ontario
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband found this place on tripadvisor and wondered if it really existed and was as nice as the pictures because there weren't many reviews. We booked even though he was leary. We were able to book for 2 nights even though the stays are usually a week. The minute we arrived we asked if we could extend our visit. It was amazing. We are a family of five and our cottage was perfect there was even an extra bed for our youngest. The outdoor living space was perfect for meals and plays cards in the evenings. The kids loved the pool and there was even a ping pong table games room for them with toys. The views were breathtakingly beautiful and I think it is one of the best places I have ever been.

Paolo and Enza were wonderful hosts. Paolo gave us maps and advice on which cities we would enjoy. He told us were the free parking was near the train station, and when we said we found Florence a bit too busy for us, he recommended Arezzo and Contana and provided us with maps and pointed out the scenic route to take home. Those cities were awesome and we had a great day.

Great place, hidden gem, I don't think people write reviews because they don't want to share there secret. I suspect there are a lot of people who return yearly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank family050
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We drove to I Gelsi (english translation : the mulberry tree and yes, there are mulberry trees on the property), having spent a few days in Lake Garda. The location had been recommended to us by friends who had stayed there previously.

On arrival, we found a welcome stock of larder essentials, which included a bottle of excellent red wine. The apartment was bright and airy and well equipped and we were impressed to learn that the stunning pictures of the Tuscan countryside which decorated the apartments, had been taken by the owner, Paolo.

The following morning, we woke to the sound of birdsong and the fragrant smell of rosemary and lavender. Opening the window shutters, we took in views over the peaceful Tuscan countryside.

The pool area is large and well equipped with loungers and inflatables for even more fun!

A car is recommended, due to the location of the property, high in the hills above the town of Filigne Valdarno, from which you can catch the train to Florence (30 mins.). As you are located in the Chianti region, a trip to some of the vineyards is recommended.

A particular highlight of our stay at I Gelsi, was to have dinner prepared & served to the guests by the owners and our hosts, Enza and Paolo. The food was delicious, traditional Tuscan fare and the guests chatted and mellowed, assisted by the generous pouring of Paolo's wine!

Enza and Paolo are always happy to help and make recommendations on places to visit, local restaurants and where to buy those everyday essentials.

We had a memorable stay at I Gelsi and since returning home, we have been telling our friends about it, recommending they visit the area and stay at this location.

I Gelsi is suitable for families, groups of friends, or for just heading off on your own for some peace and quiet in the sunshine.

We are already thinking about our return visit.

Very happy guests from Bangor, Co Down. N.Ireland.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deirdre M
Haren
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This place offers you complete rest. A spacious terrace and a beautiful big pool with a magnificent view and kind and helpful people. You have ro bring your own food and drinks, because it are all apartments. As we thought we could dine at the place, we were referred to the agriturismo nearby (Casanuova) was way too expensive for the food offered, which was actually the standard menu for the regular full pension guests.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends